L1 Bezel on A2 body?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I am not asking anyone to do this. I am curious if it has been tried and if it was successful? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
oldgrandpajack

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll shoot your eyes out if it did fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A2 is PWM voltage regulated and the levels are incompatible with the LED. It will probably fry it but Mr Bulk may take issue with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CM

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't mind me but what's PWM voltage regulation? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
You'll shoot your eyes out if it did fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A2 is PWM voltage regulated and the levels are incompatible with the LED. It will probably fry it but Mr Bulk may take issue with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CM

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
don't mind me but what's PWM voltage regulation? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It means having a circuit to switch the power to the bulb on and off very very quickly and for only a preset amount of time depending on what voltage is set on the PWM circuit and the input voltage. Input voltage has to be higher than output voltage. E.g.

I have 12 volts SLA, a 6 volts bulb. The circuit if set to 6 volts, will supply power to the bulb 1/2 the time because 12/2 = 6 . In that sense, the bulb only see 6 volts. If the SLA drops to 8 volts after some time, it will be 0.75 percent of the time because 8 x 0.75 = 6 volts. This doesn't work with LED because the LED sees the full voltage that it has been fed and will draw a current equivalent of what it will take if driven at the voltage all the time nt with whereas with a filament, the filament takes time to heat up and thus, if you off the power half the time (like in the above example of 12 volts input, the filament will cool down enough for it not to melt. The pulsing of the voltage is done at very high speed so you don't really see it flickering. something like a few megahertz. Hope I've help you understand a bit of what's going on. I don't really have good explaination skills so pardon me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i have a better idea now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so PWM voltage regulation would be the most ideal for incandescents?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes. Another feature of the A2 is it's "soft start" which means that bulb/filament does not have to be over-engineered to take the huge spike of when the light is first activated each time. Because the power output characteristics of the A2 are known and controlled, the bulb can be made specifically handle just what it needs to.

One of my A2 MA02 bulbs has been through upwards of 45 sets of SF123As and is still working.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well there is no other SureFire I have that has been used as much in such a short time as the A2. I was using 2-3 pairs a week - especially before it was released.
Bulb lives vary and I wouldn't say based on a single MA02 that it lasts longer. The MN03 in general gets far more use than A2's.

45 SF123As is a lot of batteries but well worth it.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks jeff, i was aware of what the acronym stood for but i was unaware as to how it really worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

al, that's reassuring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif one more reason why the A2's my favourite light.