Flashlight or... bottle of water?

Samy

Enlightened
My dad just came back from the flood relief effort at Bundaberg, Australia, and he gave me this bottle of water. The bottle has a built-in light. They had donated a few pallet loads of these 'light up bottles' to the emergency services. You'll just have to see the video i took:

http://youtu.be/zsi-yYCepqk

Kind of a novelty but i suppose it could be useful. My wife said it would be good when camping or during a blackout. Provides light AND hydration!

cheers

tam17

Enlightened
It's always nice to help people in need, but in any SHTF situation I'd like to have flashlight and water bottle separated. Never seen such a thing, "Made in china" says it all.

Cheers

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The strobe actually makes sense on those. If you are stuck somewhere, you can drink the water, then toss the bottle where someone could see it.

I still like those LED caps you can get for Nalgene bottles. Especially the solar powered ones!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always nice to help people in need, but in any SHTF situation I'd like to have flashlight and water bottle separated. Never seen such a thing, "Made in china" says it all.

Cheers

A fantastic idea,water and light given out quickly."Made in China" says it all.Thank god we have the Chinese to make many of our favored lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think it's cool! I could think of some times when that would be useful, or at least FUN. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

tam17

Enlightened
Most of the lights discussed in this forum are made in China...as was probably the computer (or smartphone) you typed that on.

That's very probable, HP does outsource to China. Never bothered to check.

In my mind there's always a strong distinction between Chinese quality goods (including almost all of my brand-name flashlights) and those unfortunate no-name, dubious quality, multi-purpose items often found on Alibaba and similar sites, which instantly make you wonder "why?"

Never heard that a similar item existed in stockpiles of disaster relief agencies and charities, and there's probably a reason for that. Still I can't deny usefulness and humanity of fresh clean water AND flashlights being donated to inhabitants of a flooded area. But all-in-one package..?

Cheers

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the lights discussed in this forum are made in China...as was probably the computer (or smartphone) you typed that on.

Really good point,near on all gadgets are made in China these days.

And when China has out grown its usefulness the big multi nationals will open up the next country with cheap labour probably Africa.

mmace1

Enlightened
That's very probable, HP does outsource to China. Never bothered to check.

In my mind there's always a strong distinction between Chinese quality goods (including almost all of my brand-name flashlights) and those unfortunate no-name, dubious quality, multi-purpose items often found on Alibaba and similar sites, which instantly make you wonder "why?"

Never heard that a similar item existed in stockpiles of disaster relief agencies and charities, and there's probably a reason for that. Still I can't deny usefulness and humanity of fresh clean water AND flashlights being donated to inhabitants of a flooded area. But all-in-one package..?

Cheers

Ah OK, we agree then.

Yes, the bottle-lights do seem dubious. I'd be curious how much they cost, vs. a bottle of water and a similar performing disposable flashlight (like one of the junky no-name Chinese things, actually - something with a coin cell?).

If curious, one of the stickers on the bottom of your laptop probably says the place of manufacture! Mine says...actually something in Chinese characters but...it's an ASUS, so...either China or Taiwan, probably.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great stuff, especially if you're carrying a can of dehydrated water! Donnoh about Chinese water, but if your thirsty, you're thirsty. So it don't matter I guess. Just don't feed your pets treats made in China, e.g. Chicken Strips!

MatthewSB

Enlightened
OP, very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Agreed that these would be cool if their cost made them "disposable" enough to leave behind as a beacon.

Usually I have no problem buying stuff made by the Chinese, to the proper specifications.

However, my emergency gear is always made in the US, Italy, Germany, or similar. You pay more, but the extra level of quality could save a life.

How disappointing that there are people in this world so out of touch with reality that they have neither bottles for water or flashlights. Pocket knives, first aid kits, and fire extinguishers as well. Edited to add that this is not aimed at people who cannot afford it, but people who spend $800 on a big TV but depend on others for basic necessities.

Last edited:

Samy

Enlightened
Hi everyone, just to follow up - these bottles are made and/or sold by a water bottle company and sold in boutique cafes', bars, nightclubs etc so they're not designed for emergency situations. The company was simply nice enough to donate a large amount to the relief effort for use by both emergency service workers and residents who were affected. I was told that they sell for a similar price to normal bottled water, but maybe 50 cents or so more. They also come in green and red LED.

JCD

Enlightened
After seeing them their intended purpose is pretty clear. (In a way, they are intended to save lives! :naughty:) They do look like they would work pretty well to illuminate a small room when power is out, much like tail standing a small flashlight.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Agreed that these would be cool if their cost made them "disposable" enough to leave behind as a beacon.

Usually I have no problem buying stuff made by the Chinese, to the proper specifications.

However, my emergency gear is always made in the US, Italy, Germany, or similar. You pay more, but the extra level of quality could save a life.

How disappointing that there are people in this world so out of touch with reality that they have neither bottles for water or flashlights. Pocket knives, first aid kits, and fire extinguishers as well. Edited to add that this is not aimed at people who cannot afford it, but people who spend $800 on a big TV but depend on others for basic necessities.

Because your stuff is made in US,Italy,Germany, or similar I fail to see how it is better just because to you it has a nicer address,never heard such a silly comment in ages.The Chinese are capable of making something equally as good and better than the countries you mention.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
I would imagine the light up bottle would be pretty useful in a flood, because you could drink the water, then tie a string to the empty bottle and let it float near you while it strobes so a rescuer can find you during the night. I'm only assuming the flood was bad enough to the point where people are sitting on their roofs.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Because your stuff is made in US,Italy,Germany, or similar I fail to see how it is better just because to you it has a nicer address,never heard such a silly comment in ages.The Chinese are capable of making something equally as good and better than the countries you mention.

There is really no need to be rude or condescending.

From my original post:

I have lots of Chinese items. Some are great (my Maxpedition backpack made to high quality levels) but most are barely functional. None of my important gear, that I depend on, is made in China - knives, belts, boots, canteens, flashlights, fire extinguishers, first aid supplies, etc.

The fact is that, in general, gear made in China was made there so it could be cheap. Cheap gear is rarely equaly to or better than premium gear made in the West. It's why you see way more posts about Fenix lights not working than Surefire, and why people who can afford to buy whatever gear they want buy from Malkoff or Surefire and not Fenix and the rest.

nbp

Flashaholic
The thread is about a lightup water bottle. Take the comments about country of manufacture somewhere else. They're off topic and unnecessary.