is it okay to clip/cut down my McClicky's spring for a Nitrolon tailcap?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I have a Nitrolon tailcap where the internal 'guts' had long since been loose (such that you could pull them out and put them back in). I bought an Oveready McClicky kit (with the brass ring) and it fits in the tailcap great and stays in and so on. The only problem is, due to the Nitrolon tailcaps being shorter, it appears the McClicky's spring is preventing me from being able to screw the Nitrolon tail cap onto the body even to the second or third thread.

My question is: is it recommended or okay to cut down the McClicky spring?

I think I'll have to do this, but if so, how far down should I cut/clip the spring? The McClicky kit is perfect in this Nitrolon tailcap except the Z41 tailcaps are taller than the Nitrolon ones so I think I need to make up for that.

thoughts?

jaycyu

Enlightened
I cut the first McClicky I had, and there were problems.
The scissored endpoint was sharp and it engraved marks on the bottom of the battery. Only then did I know to sand round the spring contact point.
The spring deformed after use. Maybe all McClickies do that naturally, or maybe it's the 5A current flowing through it that made it malleable. Either way, when I shake the flashlight forward and backward, the battery disconnects from the spring, causing the mode to change.
Months after, I learnt the more pressure the contacts presses the battery, the more current flows through it. Maybe that's why VanIsle made his FETtie spring so damn long and stiff, and I read Vinhnguyen confirm this from his own experience in his sales thread.

So, if you have to cut, do so conservatively then sand the sharp point down. You can also do another cut if the tailcap can't screw all the way in.
I don't know what the spring is coated with (if anything) and its effect on the current once the core is exposed.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
so I have a Nitrolon tailcap where the internal 'guts' had long since been loose (such that you could pull them out and put them back in).

..the Z41 tailcaps are taller than the Nitrolon ones so I think I need to make up for that.

thoughts?

It sounds like you have a vintage G2. Original G caps are shorter than later (mcclicky compatible) G caps, have less/threading and the parts inside are designed to fall out on there own.

If so, the solution is to replace the cap itself.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cut the first McClicky I had, and there were problems.
The scissored endpoint was sharp and it engraved marks on the bottom of the battery. Only then did I know to sand round the spring contact point.
The spring deformed after use. Maybe all McClickies do that naturally, or maybe it's the 5A current flowing through it that made it malleable. Either way, when I shake the flashlight forward and backward, the battery disconnects from the spring, causing the mode to change.
Months after, I learnt the more pressure the contacts presses the battery, the more current flows through it. Maybe that's why VanIsle made his FETtie spring so damn long and stiff, and I read Vinhnguyen confirm this from his own experience in his sales thread.

So, if you have to cut, do so conservatively then sand the sharp point down. You can also do another cut if the tailcap can't screw all the way in.
I don't know what the spring is coated with (if anything) and its effect on the current once the core is exposed.

It sounds like you have a vintage G2. Original G caps are shorter than later (mcclicky compatible) G caps, have less/threading and the parts inside are designed to fall out on there own.

If so, the solution is to replace the cap itself.

thanks guys! thank you jaycyu for relaying your experiences on the ramifications. :)

EG, thanks for clearing that up. About 30 mins after I posted this, I realized the brass ring was the problem in this vintage tailcap (now I see why since it has less threading, etc, thanks to your explanation).

so I definitely now just compared this vintage G2 tailcap to a new(er) one and the newer one is longer/taller. so the newer (taller/longer) one should take a mcclicky without issues and be able to screw on and use as normal?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+

We don't have a second version for G caps. You'll be fine with just the parts you already have (with the longer G shell).