What phase of flashaholism? Experienced Malkoff and now want to sell the quad Nichias

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up the incandescent like warm M61L and now I feel my world turning upside down again.
rbd5r4.jpg

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its an odd disease as it develops different symptoms for each it infects. For myself, its turned into buying matching groups. IE, if I buy a keychain light, I must also get a similar pocket light, holster light, and possibly a bigger throwing light as well. Along with a matching knife. Thankfully I have avoided watches though I am looking at assorted matching sheaths and holsters now as well.....

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it was:

1 - Walk in chinatown, find a $5 cheapo 9X5mm LED light with the rubbery smelling, rubber boot.
2 - Visit to the Home Depot got an LED Maglite. Shine it in my face. "Wow this thing is bright"
3 - Visit to Amazon.com for a brighter light. Fenix who? PD32 315 Lumens. Five star ratings... hmmm. 4 days later "Strobe. Wow this thing is bright!"
(enter candlepower forums)
4 - Visit to YouTube watching GoingGear flashlight videos and pickup a Klarus XT2C. "WoW! this strobe is bright-er!"
5 - Visit back to YouTube GoingGear videos for comparisons, pickup the XT11. "................................."
6 - Reading CPF reviews. Learned about lux vs flood for blinding. Pickup 5 more Klarus XT11's.
7 - Learned about Oveready. Visit site buy 1st bored C2 and a triple XPG dropin. "Not as much "lux" but floody!"
8 - Learned about quads. Order 1st Quad XPG from Kenji. "Wow this thing is floodier and brighter!"
10 - Reading reviews, wanting more lux, pickup the Eagletac MX25L2. "2,100 lumens!"
11 - Learn about new "High CRI" emitters. Order quad Nichia and second C2 host. "Wow not as bright, but everything looks much better!"
(enter Tint Snob)
10 - Order a third bored C2. Order a backup quad nichia and why not, a 3rd, just in case the backup goes too.
11 - Sell first C2. Sell the 1st quad XPG. Sell the backup to the backup quad nichia, ordered a Malkoff "incandescent" warm.....
12 - Turn on and :eek:oo: "Wow! just like the warm glow of the lights from my childhood!" The sickness continues.

Imon

Enlightened
Interesting that you favor warm white over neutral since over the past few years the trend among many flashaholics in this forum has been to favor neutral over warm.
That's why the Nichia 219 has been so coveted by many flashaholics here. Personally I'm fine with any tint between 3300 to 4500K as long as it's high CRI but it seems like the preference of many on this forum has been the Nichia 4500K 219.

I also think a lot of it is relative too. I still like to use incan bulbs around the house and I usually purchase the GE soft white (2700K) bulbs which make a lot of my high CRI lights look cool in comparison.
It's nice to have choices - I think some people like a higher color temperature than others and some, such as yourself, prefer the warmer whites.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that you favor warm white over neutral since over the past few years the trend among many flashaholics in this forum has been to favor neutral over warm.
That's why the Nichia 219 has been so coveted by many flashaholics here. Personally I'm fine with any tint between 3300 to 4500K as long as it's high CRI but it seems like the preference of many on this forum has been the Nichia 4500K 219.

I also think a lot of it is relative too. I still like to use incan bulbs around the house and I usually purchase the GE soft white (2700K) bulbs which make a lot of my high CRI lights look cool in comparison.
It's nice to have choices - I think some people like a higher color temperature than others and some, such as yourself, prefer the warmer whites.

For night adapted closeup work, searching the basement, watching tv, reading, general ambient lighting, I prefer an incandescent like glow. Something similar to a 15W bulb.

For all around "WOW" I'll keep the quad nichia. It's the purest white i've seen after the rose tint burns off. But alas it isn't as efficient as I'd like it to be. That's why
I'm relegating it to the showy type of light and not a practical use SHTF light. The Malkoff L & LL's seems to fit the zombie apocalypse go to profile VERY WELL, and
with a tint I can be happy with.

Norm

Retired Administrator
For all around "WOW" I'll keep the quad nichia. It's the purest white i've seen after the rose tint burns off.

None of my Malkoff 219s has changed tint in any way, I've kept one aside as a control to check against my other 219s, I've even have one in an MD2 I burn for about half an hour every night (must have at least 20Hrs on it now) it is exactly the same colour as my low run control.

I do have other Nichia 219 modded lights that vary slightly from the Malkoff's but they always have, no obvious changes evident.

Norm

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of my Malkoff 219s has changed tint in any way, I've kept one aside as a control to check against my other 219s, I've even have one in an MD2 I burn for about half an hour every night (must have at least 20Hrs on it now) it is exactly the same colour as my low run control.

Norm

This was noted:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hread-Part-2&p=3939302&viewfull=1#post3939302

And:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hread-Part-2&p=3939343&viewfull=1#post3939343

My 2nd Quad Nichia had the tint whereas my 1st burned off, the new one was 'pinker' comparing side-by-side. After 10 hours of burn in, it about matches the 1st. Look at the spill for the effect on a white wall. The hot spot is too bright to discern these things, at least on my lights. It could be that my led's are also driven a little harder. :D

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this is exactly why I'm doing the test. A post from one user isn't a large enough sample to establish it as fact, otherwise you also have to quote my posts as fact too :devil:

No changes evident here.

Norm

Some additional comments from a different thread:

Sparky's Magic - "Out of the box the Nichia 219 had a suggestion of pink; not much, but it was visible. After a few hrs. runtime the pink had burnt off leaving gorgeous neutral and very useful light. This is the tint I have been looking for,"

Bright_Light - "Myself and another individual noticed the same thing with our Malkoff M61L 219s in the "Malkoff Junkie" thread. The tint became much whiter after about 10 hours of use. You could even tell the ceiling bounce was much brighter after 10 hours of "break in." It's the most beautiful tint......"

I dun kno. I'm just happy the two dropins are identical now. But I'm actually getting over the whole quad thing. These reflectored light beams are CLEANER and arguably brighter.

Imon

Enlightened
Wow, I had no idea about this 219 "burn off" effect.
I think I'll take the side of cautious skepticism for now as well.

I have a tri-219 P-60 drop-in but the inherent poor heat-sinking qualities have kept me from running it too much. I've have to keep a sharp eye on it for any of these reported changes.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are off track and not helping with my recovery. I had a Fenix head with a Leef body (from the Hound) and it was my daily carry for many years. I was fine and happy. My home life was pleasant. Then I started hearing about the XM-L - how bright and efficient it was. I bought one but didn't like the beam or the tint. Bought another just to make sure it wasn't the manufacturer. Didn't like that one either. And that is when my hell began. Searching for the perfect EDC, the perfect light to put into my knapsack. I have a Prometheus Ready-Made and really like it. But it is too big (even with the shorty body). I have a Peak Eiger (10180, AAA) with a Nichia 219 Mule. Very nice, but not perfect. I have some lights from Oveready and really like them, too. I got a fewL10s with XPG2 and Nichia 219 running on 14500 and really like them, too. I have a lot of lights now and keep buying more. My life is hell. Everythime the postman rings the bell, my beloved wife gives me a dirty look. I gave my kids a lecture about how to optimize the life of the Li-ion batteries in their laptops and smartphones. When I open up my drawer to get a light (or 6), the dog goes nuts because she knows we're going out to play. I ordered a DEFT-X because I decided I needed a thrower. Please tell me what the next phase is and how to recover.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
What phase of flashaholism? Experienced Malkoff and now want to sell the quad N

No one cautioned me when I went for this ride. It has been a slippery slide downhill. And now I am at rock bottom.

I will pick myself up tomorrow and get back to the top of that hill.
And I would do it all over again.
It has been the ride of my life.

Flashaholism Anonymous Anyone?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sliding down a similar hill to Benchiew. My original intent on CPF was to do research on a 500 lumens olight that I was going to purchase as my one and only light. Why does a person even need more than one light?! My initial thought was you guys are crazy. $75 shipped for a drop-in that's not as bright as the olight ($69.99+ shipping at that time.) After much more reading, I ended up with a 6p+M61. After a few months, C2+M61WLL. I'm still purchasing malkoffs to this day. I'm more into tints now; it is a good thing, that Oveready offers 4000k neutrals, Craig at Illumination Supply offers 4500K Nichia malkoffs. Even Malkoff is offering 5000k Neutral HoundDogs.

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
Re: What phase of flashaholism?

1. Loved flashlights as a kid, got a great Mag collection by age 14!!
  2. Used Mags near-daily, with occasional frustration, for 17 years.
  3. February 18th, 2012: House robbed, entire collection of Mags STOLEN!
  4. Feb --> October 2012: Wonder why everything has gotten better, or cheaper, except Mags?
  5. October 2012: Find CPF.
  6. Today i have a really fun illness:
  7. CUYyBavl.jpg
    :duh2: :confused:

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: What phase of flashaholism?

A sobering moment to consider building a flashlight collection based on actual use and needs.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sliding down a similar hill to Benchiew. My original intent on CPF was to do research on a 500 lumens olight that I was going to purchase as my one and only light. Why does a person even need more than one light?! My initial thought was you guys are crazy. $75 shipped for a drop-in that's not as bright as the olight ($69.99+ shipping at that time.) After much more reading, I ended up with a 6p+M61. After a few months, C2+M61WLL. I'm still purchasing malkoffs to this day. I'm more into tints now; it is a good thing, that Oveready offers 4000k neutrals, Craig at Illumination Supply offers 4500K Nichia malkoffs. Even Malkoff is offering 5000k Neutral HoundDogs.

How many does one need? I'd say, 5 lights at a minimum.

1 light for WOW!! (Cool factor light, output seems vastly disproportionate to its size. Any size.)
1 light for SHTF (Low levels, endurance. Zombies.)
1 light for SAR (HelloOOOOO. WILSON???!?)
1 light for EDC (Modes Modes Modes)
1 light for lending (Clueless neighbor may use it as a makeshift hammer)