Surefire M3 or C3? M3 worth the extra?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light output of the C3 and M3 are roughly the same. Both have a standard and a HOLA available. But at one of the CPF sponsors the C3 is $100 and the M3 $190.

Those that have spent the extra money for the M3 was it worth it?

Why did you spend the extra money for the M3?

GregR

Size15's

Flashaholic
If I was in the market for a three cell SureFire (and bear in mind the question is a choice between SureFires and not other brands okay?), I would without a second thought get the M3. Why?
I don't like MN10 beam shape compared to the P90.
I don't like not having the option to pocketclip.
I usually remove the lanyards.
[not looking so good for the M3 so far is it?]

The M3 is larger than the C3 however,
The MN11 HOLA kicks the P91 HOLA in my experience for beam size, beam intensity [and throw] because of the larger diameter reflector.
The C3 is butt-ugly compared to the M3 which is a beautiful flashlight.
I would get an M2 bezel for a C3 - on a light this weight a drop could ruin the bulb and the Shock Isolation helps protect the bulb.
I can use the same BeamFilters (FM1x) as my 9AN's do (and CombatHolster, and although I don't have one, the SOE pouch)
The M3 can use the Millennium TurboHead making it the M3T - with either the N2 or MN16 Lamp the M3T rocks!
The M3 can use the KL6 5W Luxeon Bezel which is cool.

So when I'm spending $100 on a flashlight, I figure I may as well spend some more and get the coolest, rocking, sexiest three-cell out there.

I have two M3 bodies and the option to "make" a third. I did not buy any of them. If these were not sent to me for testing and evaluation and I had to buy all my SureFires then the M3T would be on my shelf along with an M2 and M6 and various other models.

Al

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say because of the shock isolation, but honestly I like the M3 because it just looks way cooler than the C3 and I am a sucker for cool looking gadgets/tools/toys. On the M3 you also get both lamp assemblies. The P91 is optional on the C3.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree the M3 is one of the best looking surefires and has the shock isolated bezel, but if you're intending to get a flashlight to use on a daily basis where it might get knocked around or even lost, i think the C3 with an M2 bezel would be more practical. just MHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
seems like Al is in love ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
have to agree with him ... why not getting the best when you can afford it somehow? I never regretted getting the M3....
bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
V8TOYTRUCK,
Thanks, I didn't mention about the P91 not being standard with the C3.

chamenos,
Who gets a three SF123A model for daily use?
I guess users of the M3 can carrying them along with all the other 'batbelt' gear they need and if I were such a user I bet I'd also have a WeaponLight or two that used the same bezel.
For most of us here I bet the three cell not for heavy use or use in a duty or back-up to duty sort of way.
I see your point that the C3+ M2 Bezel is more practical, but I'd get the M3 because it is the coolest. The M3T is far more practical than the C3+KT2 though due to the M3T's shock isolation.

Al

SUREFARC

Enlightened
The M3!!!No single doubt about it! You get 2 LAs; You get the most waterproof SF; You get S/I; You get the best looking SF; Go get it!!!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY...

Don`t listen to any of these guys.
Get the M3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a variety of Surefires, including several of the legendary M6`s, but the M3 (fitted with an MN11 lamp and a SF lanyard) is always part of my EDC in the outer pocket of my coat.

It gives me a super-bright light in an emergency, is easy to carry, pretty to show and look at, and is tough as nails.

And did I tell you yet what a great light it is...?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humm-

Well the water-resistance is one thing I would like. I do like the P series lamps, I like the idea of getting a new reflector everytime I replace the lamp. I use my 9P nearly everynight.

For cool...NOTHING beats my M6!!!

Still not sure is the M3 is worth nearly double the price, but I'm willing to listen to more comments.

GregR

Kiessling

Flashaholic
more comments:
think about your ego !
when meeting another one who has a great light, your chances of being outgunned are less when you have an M3 on you ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
You can put a second o-ring on the C3's tail end, just like the M3 has. You can also put the shock isolated M2 bezel (13586-1 is HA and 13586-11 is black) on it, and have shock isolation for the lamp assembly. I really like the utility of the pocket clip on the C3. The lanyard and lanyard ring can be purchased separately, if you need it. As for looks, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I have the M3, M3T and several C3's. Love them all. All of my C2's and C3's get the second o-ring as soon as the box is opened. I've got a 13586-11 on a 9P, but am thinking of putting it on a C2-BK. Also have a KT1-HA Turbo Head that floats around my collection. It's on an E2O at the moment. I highly recommend the Surefire C3. Feel the same about the M3. Just can't afford to buy any more M3's.

I don't recommend buying any Surefire with the Lexan lens. The only exception would be if you want a 9P or D3 for a Lego project. I guess what I am trying to say is, the C2-C3 and G2Z are the cheapest, classic size Surefires, that I would recommend, for use as is.
oldgrandpajack

PS: I apologize for steering anyone the wrong way with misinformation. I have corrected this post. Thanks to Chamenos, it is now correct.

The last O-ring on the tail is part number 19-01-077. The first O-ring (already installed) on the tail is the standard 19-01-040. This is also from Chamenos. Thank you, Chamenos!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z32 and M2 bezels are very different but both fit on 'standard' bodies.

The Z32 comes only in black and has a Lexan lens.
The M2 Bezek is HA, has a Pyrex lens and the bezel wall thickness is much thicker. The M2 bezel can be ordered in black (not HABK) if you decide to get a C3-BK (which I don't suggest you do because the HA version will not wear or scratch as easily.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
al: for the record, i do like the M3 immensely, but i feel that the premium that the M3 commands over the C3 might not be all that justified for someone who might want to actually use the light (i know some people who do use 3x123 lights on daily basis). after all, the C3 does have a clip which the M3 doesn't. OTOH, the M3 does make for a much more collectible light, and it will accept the KL6 if it does get released. i do agree the M3T is the most practical if one were to go for a turbohead surefire though.

so in view of that, i would suggest that greg get both if he afford it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif gee, i'm surprised no one has suggested it yet. what is CPF coming to? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened
I have a c3 that I use on a 450 marlin rifle for pig hunting. Thats a lot of recoil.
I use the p91 & have never had a problem with bulb failure.
looks? Who cares, I use it for a purpose & do not care what it looks like.( I don't think the pigs care either.) The streamline of the c3 bezel makes mounting on the barrel easier than the m3 bezel.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z32 will have a Lexan lens forever I believe.
(The lens can be user replaced if it gets ruined by blast from the firearm the Classic WeaponLight is attached to.

Al

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The Z32 will have a Lexan lens forever I believe.
(The lens can be user replaced if it gets ruined by blast from the firearm the Classic WeaponLight is attached to.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely correct. I looked over my receipts and the M2 bezel is the (13586-1) in HA or (13586-11) in black. I will edit my previous posts.
Thank you,
oldgrandpajack

PS: I apologize for misleading anyone with the incorrect info. It is now correct.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, let me come clean and say I do have a C3-HA, I bought it a year ago but don't use it as much as my beat up 9P (which I really should buy a LOTC).

For coolness I have my M6, now THAT is a light!

I'm just wondering if I should sell that C3 and replace it with a M3.

Speaking of collectability maybe the C3 is MORE collectable than the M3?

GregR

Yes I really should have them both! But then I'd have to buy a M4 too!