Yukon HL vs. Matrix 2 vs. Zenix

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
So, I came up to the White Mountains to teach a course in mountain medicine but before doing so took a major detour to REI in Mass. Purchased 3 new lights for comparison. Here are my thoughts:
They all use the 1W Luxeon. In order of brightness
Zenix (3AAA)
Matrix 2 (2AA)
Yukon (3AA)

I showed the lights to another ranger and also someone who had been a ranger for many years and does SAR for the AMC.

I'd say compared to the others the Zenix was the least impressive. Both the 2 LED and the 1W Luxeon have what appears to be almost the same brightness for trail hiking, although of course the spot from the 1W is nice. The problem is that it seems overly complicated...perhaps if it didn't have an over-the-top headband it would seem less gangly.

The best all-around light was the Matrix 2. Least complicated, best light-weight ratio, simple to get batteries for and with lithiums, it doesn't weigh much and will work for winter operations. Definately the most simple to use. Also, batteries not in the back so you can lie down and read at night without that bump in the back of your head.
The forward bezel on both PTs allows for easy climbing AND descending without having light spill into your eyes.

For SAR use I would say the Yukon, having the best spot, snuggest fit, and easy helmet placement would fit the bill.

So, I next time I head up the mountains I would take the following:
Yukon and/or Matrix 2
PT Aurora
BD Ion and Petzl Tikka plus to keep on me at all times (in my radio harness, which never leaves me.)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jerimoth

Now I am going to have to pay REI a visit. I have been going to pick up a Tikka plus for some time now and all of the talk on the Yukon has got me interested.

I wonder if there is a run time difference between the Matrix 2 and the Yukon?

Tom

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I think if I had to cut down on the number of lights for simplicity's sake on an evening patrol in the mountains I would take the Matrix 2 and as a backup the Tikka Plus. Just another two cents for people in SAR.

hby

Newly Enlightened
Jerimoth, Thanks for your report.

I was just wondering which LS Headlamp would be suitable for My mountain use.
I ordered Matrix2.

I've been using Tikka(50mA/LED overdriven by changing resister from 3.3 to 1 ohm w/NiMH AA) but I needed more power for knight hike and I needed Lithium for winter .
Then I took Petzl Micro and tried to put a regulator in it but switching system was not suitable for regurated LS.
Now I have BF-260(the smallest CR2 headlamp by Panasonic). I modified it a pin bulb to Q4H LS Direct Drive. It was brite enough but cost too much(CR2 is too expensive).

AA driven Matrix2 w/LS...It would be the best for me.
I may be able to use NiMH(if the bulb has step-up regulator in it, I'm not sure for that) at summer, Alkalin for emergency or long trail(usually Huts carry Alkalin AA in Japan), Lithium AA for winter.

If the bulb doesn't have regulator? I think I have a solution for that. Because Matrix has 3LED module, why can't I build it with LS?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Alan.....about the Lupine, you bet. Actually may end up carrying just the Lupine, the Edison, and Tikka plus in my radio harness. Leave the Yukon for multi-day trips where I will be away from a charger.
So, for daily patrols:
Lupine Edison HID lamp
Matrix 2
Tikka Plus and probably an Ion in my medical kit

For extended trips:
Yukon
Matrix 2 (because it uses AAs like the Yukon) or the Tikka Plus with some extra AAAs and
Ion in my medical kit

HBY: I know almost nothing about modifications but I'm sure others reading your posting will be able to help you. I personally think the Matrix 2 is bright enough for most tasks in mountaineering.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
One more point about the Matrix 2: It should be plenty bright enough for mountaineering.
I was climbing Cayambe in Ecuador a few years ago and I tried using a Petzl Tikka on my helmet. It was plenty bright enough, at least for glacier climbing (Cayambe is about 18 or 19 thousand feet high) although of course snow reflects light well. Anyway, we didn't summit so we tried the second night. I woke up at 1am before leaving camp to discover that my Tikka had been on all day and night. I had it on my helmet and had forgotten to turn it off when I returned to camp the previous afternoon. The Tikka worked quite well that night. So, if the Tikka worked in that environment, then the Tikka plus would be great, and the Matrix 2 even better, i.e. good enough for most mountaineering applications. I would still somewhat prefer the Yukon for an extended trip because of the dual light and long run time (see posting above about predicted run times) and use Lithiums for cold weather and slight weight savings.

Latest posts