What companies/brands of products do you have great respect for?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
These days it maybe a bit harder to ask this type of question due to the so called "global economy which has equated to millions of lost jobs due to companies moving overseas. This has caused other problems such as poor products being imported to replace the products that used to be made in our countries with pride. Also, there are companies that still operate in our countries, and have chosen to stay, but a few have deceptively cashed in on that by raising their prices unjustifiably higher than before, while falling behind on innovation and even quality in some cases. I can think of one glaring example often mentioned here.

But I think most companies that made a good product a few years ago still do. What I am looking for here, are companies that you have respected for a long time and are loyal to. Companies that make products that you will continue to buy for years to come. Or it could be a company that you just started buying from, but their products seem really well made. This is kind of a best of the best companies thread.

I have been buying Rocky brand boots since 1990. The first pair I bought were outdoor, winter hunting boots that I used for hiking and casual wear. That model had the odd name Rocky "Corn Stalkers". From the moment I slid them on, they were hands down the best pair of boots I'd ever worn, and the most comfortable pair of shoes of any type I'd ever owned! My friend Rob turned me onto them because the only store that sold them was owned by WL Gore(Goretex), his father was a VP there, and they contained Goretex. Ironically, my Dad worked in Cordura(DuPont), which the outers were partially constructed of. I own 3 pairs of Rocky boots right now, but I have to say that their quality isnt quite what it was 10 years ago due to overseas manufacture. They are still good and all, but not fantastic...

Next would be the Yamaha company. They are based out of Japan, but I believe they have facilities here and elsewhere too. They say in business you need to specialize, or you spread yourself too thin and your products suffer for it. Yamaha is the rare example of a company that completely blows that ideal out of the water. They make all sorts of different products, but everything they touch seems to turn to gold. They make among the best motorcycles. They make among the best outboard boat motors. They apparently also make the V-8 auto engine in the British Noble M600 super car. The best home entertainment setup I ever had was mostly Yamaha components. My best friend had a home studio recording setup, again all Yamaha studio recording components and speakers. My first really good electric guitar was a Yamaha. I know people who own great drum sets made by, you guessed it, Yamaha. Yamaha makes the best high end pianos next to Steinway. They also make brass instruments, woodwinds, string instruments including violins, violas, cellos, as well as semiconductors.

Also, I bought a new Harley Davidson Sportster back in '06, and I remember the negative cliches from the AMF days of the late 60's through 80's, like "they mark their spot"(leak oil). But that was long ago, and my Sportster never fails to start, runs like a champ, and has never had a problem. Doesnt ever mark its spot either!

What companies do you have great respect for, or who make a great product?

blatant1

Newly Enlightened
See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's getting harder and harder for a company to be well known as well as small enough to be able to worry about maintaining quality instead of optimizing profits for shareholders. If I had to name a couple, I'd go for:

Victorinox, maker of swiss army knives, although Wenger is pretty good too. I've got a long history with Victorinox, though... about 30 years.

Buck knives. For a company that makes a lot of knives, they seem to have high standards. I bought a 110 folder back in the late 70's and am amazed that the price has barely increased since then.

In the world of bicycles, I'd go with Shimano. They have been great innovators and produced high quality bike components for a reasonable cost. They had times when they innovated too fast with too little regard for their current customers, but they've toned that down. :) I still love the old SunTour stuff, but they just couldn't compete. I also love the vintage Campagnolo stuff, which was beautifully built and had some great engineering standards, but their designs were stagnant for too long and rested on their laurels.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's getting harder and harder for a company to be well known as well as small enough to be able to worry about maintaining quality instead of optimizing profits for shareholders. If I had to name a couple, I'd go for:

Victorinox, maker of swiss army knives, although Wenger is pretty good too. I've got a long history with Victorinox, though... about 30 years.

Buck knives. For a company that makes a lot of knives, they seem to have high standards. I bought a 110 folder back in the late 70's and am amazed that the price has barely increased since then.

In the world of bicycles, I'd go with Shimano. They have been great innovators and produced high quality bike components for a reasonable cost. They had times when they innovated too fast with too little regard for their current customers, but they've toned that down. :) I still love the old SunTour stuff, but they just couldn't compete. I also love the vintage Campagnolo stuff, which was beautifully built and had some great engineering standards, but their designs were stagnant for too long and rested on their laurels.

I used to be into BMX racing back in early 80's, and I had a pair of blue anodized Suntour cranks, and my neighbor had Campagnolo cranks and hubs. There were Araya rims, I replaced my cheaper Suntour cranks with Sugino cranks once they bent. There were also Bullseye components, Dia Compe, Kashimax, Red Line, etc.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Good topic...

The North Face

Montrail (Trail Running Shoes, good for urban use)

Victorinox - agree w/ above mention, for wallets, bags, etc as well as SAKs, and their watches seem good though I haven't owned one.

Honda & Yamaha also concur, tho my experience w/ the latter was pro Audio Inatallation equipment not motorcycles... Gotta love the Japanese horizontal integration... Honda even makes private Jets now...

SIGG swiss-made water bottles

Sony & Samsung consumer electronics

Casio for cheap but highly functional watches, and I like Bulova for price to quality. (Digression, if I were (or when I am) richer I'd have more opinions on higher-end mechanical watches, but that would be for fun, not utility... I'm not sure why anyone would EDC a mechanical watch unless they also have a quartz in their bag...)

Solgar and Jarrow supplements

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Chippewa boots

I own four pairs now. They are incredibly comfortable to wear all day long. Extremely well made and very long lasting. I have a pair that is more than 10 years old and the leather uppers are in great condition - I just need to get them resoled and they will be good for many more years.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about tools. I have always liked Milwaukee powered tools. For decades they had a no questions asked lifetime warranty, and back in late 1987 I took a part time job at a hardware store to supplement my full time job, and I was 19. I remember the manager told us when someone came in for warranty on all tools, we had to ask lots of questions, fill out forms, etc. Milwaukee tools were the exception to that rule. If anyone came in with a Milwaukee tool and wished to exchange it, we were to simply go and grab the equivalent Milwaukee tool model to the one they were returning, and hand it to them with no questions asked. Even if they brought in a fully functional tool, we just gave them a new one, and there was no limit to the number of times this could be done. A company MUST have great faith in the quality of their tools to offer a lifetime warranty like that! Unfortunately, they had to put an end to that because too many people abused the warranty, and it was hurting Milwaukee, so they had to scale it back some. But they operated their warranty like that for many decades. I actually own more Ridgid power tools than Milwaukee, but thats because Home Depot runs sales on them more often, usually at the time I need to buy one, so thats what I buy, and they have always been good too, no problems so far.

I also have great respect for the quality of Snap On, Mac, and Matco hand tools, but I have a lack of respect for their exorbitant prices though(I paid $55 for a standard 1/2" drive Mac ratchet back in 1986). I like Craftsman, S&K hand tools for the money. They also have lifetime warranties but are much, much, much less expensive.

As far as kitchen knives, I have a few Kai Shun high end knives, and they are fantastic. I bought a JA Henckels set from Germany 6 years ago, and they began pitting on the rivets less than 1 year later! They go dull quickly, etc. They even had rust spots on the blade within a year even though I always wash them by hand and dry them immediately! No such issues with the Shun Classic and Premier knives.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
Schwalbe bicycle tires. I have over 15,000 miles on a pair of (regular) Marathons without a single flat while riding, and their not even the most flat resistant model. I doubt the rear one will make it another year, though. They do eventually wear out. Like Grant Petersen (who has his own line of bike tires) says, "
A commute bike without Schwalbe tires (35mm or bigger) is not as good as it can be." They aren't the lightest or fastest tires available, but those aren't important qualities for bicycle commuting.

Surefire flashlights. No explanation necessary.

Apple computers. AppleCare is the standard by which I measure customer service in any industry, though the vast majority of Apple products I've owned have not required its use. I also prefer using OS X rather than Windows, so it's fortunate I've been happy with Apple's hardware.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Chippewa boots

I own four pairs now. They are incredibly comfortable to wear all day long. Extremely well made and very long lasting. I have a pair that is more than 10 years old and the leather uppers are in great condition - I just need to get them resoled and they will be good for many more years.
I have the same experience with Danner boots. Send them back to get resoled and they condition the entire upper for you as well. http://www.danner.com/boots/ (Link is to their general website...not to a picture.)

markr6

Flashaholic
Great thread! Just a mixed list off the top of my head:

Fenix - but let's get more neutral tint EDC sized lights!!!
MSR (Mountain Safety Research) - top-notch quality, innovation, and exceptional customer service
Marmot - same as above
Patagonia
Sony
Canon

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Surefire has my trust for lights.

Wilderness makes the best belts ever. I've had one for 10 years now and it's starting to show signs of wear.

Camelbak and Maxpedition make great bags for the price. I can pay way more and not get a more useful 'pack, but if I pay less I can feel the lack of quality.

Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson, and Zero Tolerance make excellent folding knives. ESEE or Bark River is my go to brand for a real survival knife.

Blade-Tech makes the best production kydex, period.

Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda all make bombproof motorcycles and quads. Toyota owns my business for cars or trucks. I especially loved my Yamaha designed 9400 rpm motor Corolla XRS.

Garmont makes the best boots I've had the pleasure of wearing - I'm on my 2nd pair, my first pair lasted 5 years of constant use before wearing out.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread! Just a mixed list off the top of my head:

Fenix - but let's get more neutral tint EDC sized lights!!!
MSR (Mountain Safety Research) - top-notch quality, innovation, and exceptional customer service
Marmot - same as above
Patagonia
Sony
Canon

I have quite a few marmot products. I have a Marmot tent, several marmot jackets, hiking pants, shirts, an awesome Marmot 850 fill down sleeping bag, etc. I havent had to use their warranty, but its good to hear they have good customer service.

I have the MSR Simmerlite stove, and although it works well, it simmers like the Whisperlite whispers....Not at all!

braddy

Enlightened

Victorinox bought Wenger in 2005. I like my Fenix lights and Benchmade knives.