Led Lenser M7RX

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know many people on this forum don't like Led Lenser, but I can't find much of anything about some of the newer models. The specs on the M7RX look pretty awesome, and it uses an 18650, which is definitely my preferred cell. I have a T7 and I LOVE the quick zoom feature, so that rules out just about every other brand. Is there anyone who has this model? I don't mind paying top dollar for a light if it has unique features, so please avoid talking about how it is too expensive for what it does...unless you find another light that really does have ALL the same features for less. Don't want to turn this into another thread for complaining about Lenser problems...there are enough of those already.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've just posted our review yesterday:

http://www.led-resource.com/2013/02/led-lenser-m7rx-rechargeable-flashlight-review/

It's got a slightly different design for the battery carrier contacts, which looks like it should be more reliable, and the beam pattern is much better than the M7R.

Even with the lowest retailer price (you can find the link to them on the M7RX product page), it's still quite expensive...the MSRP took a pretty big hike.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response, and the review! Definitely going on my wish list, we'll see how much the price drops over time.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, sorry, i cant resist ...

imho a light that price class should offer a 2nd battery and the possibility to charge it outside of the light, while it is used with the other cell
(not talking about the provided cell, about the brightness/runtime official data ... but wondering that the official data does not mention that "normal high" is 400 and that the 600 is "just" boost)

the review is great, just one question:
that ~40 % "level" ... what brightness is this? Is that the 400 lumen You mention?

congerball

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review I found it very useful. I currently own the X7R which I rate very highly, I think I might treat myself to one of these new ones. I can't fault Led Lenser, yes they are expensive but quality comes at a cost.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
the review is great, just one question:
that ~40 % "level" ... what brightness is this? Is that the 400 lumen You mention?
Only momentary is 600 lumens, because as soon as the switch is clicked, it drops down to 400 lumens. 40% is the regulated output of constant current mode.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am disappointed. I only just realized that while it does use an 18650, their design is proprietary, and if the manual is correct, you cannot use any other cell. I DESPISE companies that make non-standardized features like that. I have nothing against them for keeping the focus system to themselves, that just seems like a smart business choice. But this is a dealbreaker...I'm staying away. Too bad, because I was just about to order one, I really like the light otherwise. Hope you are listening LED Lenser - to gain a few bucks from battery sales, you just lost a $200+ purchase. Same to Surefire and the R1 Lawman...if every other brand can make lights compatible with standard 18650, so can you.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard 18650's are not suitable for consumer use (for example, they can be inserted backwards), so proprietary connectors are almost always used.

That being said, the M7RX has proprietary connectors on the battery carrier (not the battery). Take a look at our pictures...I think it will work with any button-top 18650.

Too much cost with LED Lenser. They are good quality, over-hyped, over-advertised and not particularly noteworthy.

Thanks for the review I found it very useful. I currently own the X7R which I rate very highly, I think I might treat myself to one of these new ones. I can't fault Led Lenser, yes they are expensive but quality comes at a cost.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard 18650's are not suitable for consumer use (for example, they can be inserted backwards), so proprietary connectors are almost always used.

That being said, the M7RX has proprietary connectors on the battery carrier (not the battery). Take a look at our pictures...I think it will work with any button-top 18650.

Well, I have 4 x1 18650 lights right now, and none of them use proprietary connectors. 2 in the mail, they don't use proprietary connectors. A ZL SC600 Mk II on preorder, doesn't use proprietary connectors. Not sure how you define "almost always", but clearly your definition is different than mine.

Thanks for the clarification on the M7RX though.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have 4 x1 18650 lights right now, and none of them use proprietary connectors. 2 in the mail, they don't use proprietary connectors. A ZL SC600 Mk II on preorder, doesn't use proprietary connectors. Not sure how you define "almost always", but clearly your definition is different than mine.

Streamlight's Strion, Inova's T4, Fenix's RC series, and Pelican's 7060 all use a proprietary connector 18650.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

Consumer use doesn't refer to those kinds of lights. You won't see 18650's on retail shelves next to AA batteries, and most of these lights, batteries, and chargers lack the required safety approvals. The kind of lights that are safe for consumer use are like the one that dano mentioned.

snackling

Newly Enlightened
While I'm not much of Led Lenser fan either, the quick dual reflector focusing system and magnetic tailcap recharge look kinda neat. Although for charging I'd prefer removable 16850 with micro-USB port on the light itself.

It's not hard to see though, why an enthusiast community dislikes them. (and rightly so). Expensive and focused on low information buyers (aka consumer mass market).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, the marketing saying is:
a light so OVERLY priced and strangely features offering, both so odd that an "informed community" :rolleyes: asks why anyone would purchase it,
is "consumer grade" and thus needs even more odd features?
(... than a simple reverse protection)

no wonder all the claims of Lenser were "unsure" :rolleyes: all the last years, will stay so in the future + "they" (Lenser) dont even understand that point and also are not even considering "improving" that the tinyest bit?
I wish You that there still is enough of these "consumer grade uninformed" customers in the future ...

snackling

Newly Enlightened
so, the marketing saying is:
a light so OVERLY priced and strangely features offering, both so odd that an "informed community" :rolleyes: asks why anyone would purchase it,
is "consumer grade" and thus needs even more odd features?
(... than a simple reverse protection)

no wonder all the claims of Lenser were "unsure" :rolleyes: all the last years, will stay so in the future + "they" (Lenser) dont even understand that point and also are not even considering "improving" that the tinyest bit?
I wish You that there still is enough of these "consumer grade uninformed" customers in the future ...

I have no idea what you're saying. It could be argued though that Led Lenser is Prosumer I guess if one is being technical. Regardless, they are not enthusiast or hacker friendly, which should be blindingly (hehe) obvious. :)

Matty!atMat

Newly Enlightened
The Led Lenser M7RX is $200? Bloody hell. For it's size that is a ridiculous amount of money. I paid $99 more for an O-Light SR90, with a spare battery pack, when I purchased it last year. If I put an SR90 next to an M7RX and told you I only paid $99 more, your jaw would drop. It's a whole lot more flashlight than you could ever ask for. 2200 lumens on high, with an 80min runtime on that high setting. You'll look at it and think it's not productive because of its sheer size, but you'll soon understand when you get your hands on one.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Led Lenser M7RX is $200? Bloody hell. For it's size that is a ridiculous amount of money. I paid $99 more for an O-Light SR90, with a spare battery pack, when I purchased it last year. If I put an SR90 next to an M7RX and told you I only paid $99 more, your jaw would drop. It's a whole lot more flashlight than you could ever ask for. 2200 lumens on high, with an 80min runtime on that high setting. You'll look at it and think it's not productive because of its sheer size, but you'll soon understand when you get your hands on one.

To each his own...my K40vn out-throws your SR90 by a LOT, and is half the cost, and is smaller, and has better runtime, and about 1500 lumens output. Just because the SR90 works for you, doesn't mean that it is a better light. The M7RX is on the pricey side, I grant you that, but it also gives you features that the Olight does not.