TL-3 vs Brinkmann Legend LX

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Streamlight TL-3 Xenon from an e-bay dealer. It arrived in the factory packaging, with Streamlight branded batteries. With much anticipation, I took it out in the dark to compare against my Legend LX.

Imagine my disappointment when the LX ( with year old batteries) had a noticeably brighter, whiter beam! Has anyone else had this experience?

I haven't yet tried new batteries in the TL-3; I just assumed that with the TL-3 being a newer light the batteries would be good......

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
I'll try new batteries. Pretty bad, though, that batteries fresh out of the package aren't up to snuff. I'm going to e-mail Streamlight wioth my experience and see what they'll do.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jbroker83

Enlightened
Bikecop---I recently bought a TL-3 Xenon and was EXTREMELY pumped to open it...I bought it during the day and didn't have immediate access to a dark room, so I had to wait about 5 hours for it to be dark....went to the basement and boom! Bright Light! But I compared it to my SureFire G2 and the G2 was brighter....and my g2 was 10 months old....so I compared to my Legend LX - and Legend blew it away...I was so dissappointed I went back to the store, and sadly enough, the TL-3 that I bought was the last one...so I had to exchange it for the TL-2....which was way brighter than the TL-3---Streamlight's response to me was that the bulb may have been damaged in shipping and caused the weaker output....either way...I bought a TL-3 when they had a new one in stock, and this one is way brighter than the Legend and the G2---so I think I may have just bought a dud the first time.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TL-3 Xenon was superb. Sounds like batteries or a dud.

My single dealing with Streamlight's Customer Service was excellent. I returned a TL-3 LED because the heat shrink popped off the emitter post and in 20 days had a new one arrive in the mail.

They were prompt and polite and didn't ask any questions.

The TL-3 Xenon should be around 9-10K Lux at beam center.

BC

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried new batteries, and the LX still blew it away. E-mailed Streamlight, and they suggested I send it back for repair/replacement. So into the mail it goes.....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put a SureFire P61 bulb into the LX, then it will REALLY blow the rest away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love mine with that in it. Course it runs throuhg the batteries in only 20 minutes, but you wanted bright right?

Hoover

Newly Enlightened
Bikecop,
Before you send it back, you may want to try swapping bulbs with the extra one included. My TL-3 came with a bad bulb loaded. Luckily, I had a TL-2 already so I knew what it should look like. When I swapped the bulbs and fired it up again, I darn near blinded myself it was so bright. Hope this helps.