Zoom/focusable lights

rsilvers

Newly Enlightened
lightjv.jpg

See how this cheap light can adjust to make the beam so tight that it will project an image of the emitter on a distant surface? It seems pretty neat as I can light up something surprisingly far away.

Now this light is not good enough because it is not constant brightness, does not have an optical coating, is not water proof, and mine arrived defective with the clip screwed on at an angle - but does anyone make a higher-end light with a very narrow beam due to using a lens? I am not sure I even care if you can adjust it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

cyclesport

Enlightened
A couple of high end aspheric lens/light shops are... OMG Lumens/Deft lights, and One Stop Throw Shop (modder) offer several custom and modded lights.

rsilvers

Newly Enlightened
That head is too large for what I am currently looking for. My current favorite flashlight is the Quark Tactical. Mine says QT2L-X on it. The size is just right, and it actually has more throw than my significantly larger PD-32UE - which makes me a little unhappy that the PD-32UE has such as large emitter. I also like the UI of the Quark as you can change the brightness before turning it on, and it has a momentary and click tail cap. I would like to see that light but with an ashperic head. Maybe slightly defocused to not show the die.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
There are only a fraction of aspheric lights available compared to reflector focused lights due to their limited uses and other reasons...hard to make water resistant, difficulty in focusing properly, niche market, etc. Reflector lights are far more practical for a much wider variety of uses and thus hold a much broader appeal. Coast Lenser is probably the most popular mass produced quality flood-to-zoom light that isn't prohibitively expensive.

Most people (flashaholics) usually just buy a few single mode Sipik SK68's as a toys or gifts, and using a 3.7v 14500 Li-ion it can be pretty impressive for a $6 light (you already have a clone/version pictured). DX and many other China based sites sell a bunch of different kinds of cheap aspheric lights and lens if you want to try some other zoom lights w/o spending a lot...but quality is suspect.

Unless you have a specific need for a long throw beam with little to no spill, you may find that after the novelty wears off you'll return to conventional lights, as most ultimately do.

rsilvers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. The Coast lights are interesting. I will look into those. Is my light inferior to the Sipik SK68? I see that the battery spring seems worse. Since my light came with a defective clip I can easily return it and have Amazon pay the return shipping.

Last edited:

sassaquin

Enlightened
USA made LensLight Mini ($150) is a nice high-end focusing aspherical light. I've had mine for nearly two years and love it.

Last edited:

rsilvers

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could see all of these side by side in person.

Oh man - I just made the connection - Lensor is owned by Leatherman - and my friend works for them. I think I will be all set.

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
I bought a kelly green anodized Sipik SK68 from fasttech.com for under $6 with free shipping. A holster was included.
It's well made and I find it useful. It seemed underpowered, compared to what I am used to, with an alky, battery and got too hot with a 14500. I popped in a 14505 3 volt primary from BJ and I am very happy with the performance now.
The light isn't as bright as my 3 aaa cell MXDL light which I'd been running on a single 17500 battery but I much refer the smaller size and weight.
I have on order 3,2v lifepo4 14500 and I'll; be using them when they arrive.

Last edited:

nocheese4u

Newly Enlightened
I have been very happy with my Coast flashlight! I dropped it from 18 feet hit concrete and it still functions great!

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I have an LED Lenser P7 and find this a good torch. They don't get much respect on this board due to not being very well regulated (if at all) and not waterproof.

So they aren't typically cutting edge, BUT their flood/spot feature works really well, and lets face it how often do you really need your light to be fully waterproof?

I use mine of full flood 80-90% of the time and it works pretty well.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lousy recent reviews on that light. Seems like they changed manufacturers (original was Ultrafire at one point). It's a real lottery as to whether or not you get a good one when you buy a cheap Chinese flashlight. It's hard to trust reviews on DX, as lots of inexperienced people slather praise because they got something so bright and shiny, with no report on long term use.