Maglite question!

tomfruit

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, ive got a question (if you hadn't already worked that out! :D)

I was thinking of buying the 6D maglite, however one of the things that was putting me off was the fact that when you use 'flood' setting, it gives a donut shape light (which would be a bit irritating methinks). So where does this involve us? I hear you cry. Well, I'll tell you. On an amazon review I saw a comment saying that modern maglites have a lense to get rid of the 'donut' shape, and just give a solid light. However, Im not sure whether this is the case or not. So here is my question:

Do modern maglites come with a lense to prevent the 'donut' effect.
Or if they dont, can you buy one?

NEW IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!:

Where online can I buy an LED 3D cell Maglite (in silver, I can find it in black, but I cant find a silver one)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Interesting, but haven't heard this before. I have two led Maglite's 3D and 2D. They do offer somewhat smoother beam but they still give donuts if you turn to the flood side too much.

---
Kokopelli, Istanbul, Turkey

Norm

Retired Administrator
Do modern maglites come with a lense to prevent the 'donut' effect.
Or if they dont, can you buy one?
Also, just as a point of interest, are all new maglites LED now?

Thanks in advance.
No
No: an orange peel or stippled reflector will help but not eliminate the problem

Norm

tomfruit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your comments. By the way, jash, Im on a bit of a budget so Ive got to keep my expectations a bit low :D (I assume the TK41 is more expensive?)

Also, I was just wondering why it seems virtually impossible to find a 6D in silver? They all seem to be black (with the exception of a few red ones) and yet you can readily get 3D in silver (and it looks much nicer I might add)

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that that with the lens refers to these "better" (and more powerful) :rolleyes: maglite bulbs - the ones that have a lens at the top of the glass envelope...
but to be honest: anything of these info is 15-20 years gone now.

PS: that "better bulb" did improve the beam a little bit, but in reality is not anything to waste money on now.

mccririck

Enlightened
IMO you will find the 6D bulky, too long, and it will just annoy you. I have a 3D and it's on the long side, imagine a 6D...

IMO get a 2,3 or 4D and a Fusion 36 drop-in. You will not get the donut flood (but it will be flood all the time with a brighter spot in the middle). Also, buy used on ebay for the maglite.

Last edited:

tomfruit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info everyone.

IMO you will find the 6D bulky, too long, and it will just annoy you. I have a 3D and it's on the long side, imagine a 6D...

IMO get a 2,3 or 4D and a Fusion 36 drop-in. You will not get the donut flood (but it will be flood all the time with a brighter spot in the middle). Also, buy used on ebay for the maglite.

Yeah I was thinking that too, over the course of today Ive changed my mind. I think I shall get a 3D (especially as you can get it in silver, which looks nice and shiny! :) )

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if I have many modern LED-lights several times brighter than stock 6D Maglite I still like to have a good LED-dropin in a Maglite. I have Malkoff XM-L2 dropin for 3-4C in a 4C. Malkoff claims 900lm and I can admit that this thing totally blows away a stock 6D, as well as stock MagCharger!
Apart from that I have Malkoff XM-L dropin placed in a shortened MagD runned by 3AA. The focusing possibilty is limited with these compared to the stock, but I have to say that the spill brightness compensates pretty good for that. It's like at bright and wide wall of light with a very intense hotspot.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Diffuser lens for sure. Can be had cheap on ebay(I think it's a cpf member selling them) or can be made even cheaper at home.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
but a diffuser lens will take away the only thing a mag is famous for: the throw

(sorry: except for its ruggedness of course)

tomfruit

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the comments, I shall consider all that has been said before my final decision. Many thanks

gradio

Newly Enlightened
I just checked yesterday my old 6 D-cell (black) and 3 D-cell (blue) mag lights. They still work. I don't know why I still hang on to them. I also compared them with recent bought EA4. What a difference the EA4 is compared to the ol 6 D-cell mag light. So I pulled the batteries out of the mag lights, but still, if I had to konk myself on the head with one, I might choose the EA4 then. But I'll hand on to the D-cell mags also for now.

add - the 3 D cell mag I have if a very metal blue in color. Been awhile since looking at it.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
If you adjust them to much, then of course you'll get that. just adjusted it to spot and you won't have that