9 LED light flicker problem

Frijid

Enlightened
I have a question about the 9 LED flashlights they make. I'm sure you know which one's i'm talking about, the one's you can buy with the tail cap on off switch, they take 3 AAA's in a plastic battery holder, made of what feels like aluminum or some other kind of weak metal. I have a dozen of these lights (most of them i got free from harbor freight) and after using a few months, one of the lights will start to flicker, then it will go completely. then after a while you wind up with only 3 burning. Is their any way to fix this or is it just permanent damage to be expected (cheap light). i have a heap of them laying around that have failed with only 1 or 2 LED's still working or half working i've held onto hoping their is so way to fix them again. i was thinking maybe it had something to do with the solder on the circuit board?

Thank

Frijid

Enlightened
Best fix for those type of cheap lights is the trash can. Problem solved, you may want to keep the batteries, they're worth more then the lights.

LOL thanks for the chuckle. I let the kids play with them. better them trash a cheap light than an expensive one!

Verndog

Enlightened
LOL thanks for the chuckle. I let the kids play with them. better them trash a cheap light than an expensive one!

Good point! If they keep the kids occupied then that is their greatest value....especially if they save a quality light from getting damaged.

I picked up one of those at Office Depot for $3.00 with batteries before I became educated on lights. Still sitting in my office desk drawer, 2 years, same batteries and used maybe 4 times.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
These lights are horrible.

They are also everywhere.

Nine LEDs!

Compact "AAA" cells!

What a deal!

I keep some around to let someone use if they need a flashlight. after letting a family member borrow one of my best flashlights, i cringed when i seen them handling it. it survived, but i don't wanna take a chance. i'd rather them break a 1 dollar light than my 30+ dollar light.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Yes they are horrible but to answer your question I discovered that they stop working because of the contact board in the front that holds the LEDs works its way loose from the body. You will see that there are 4 or so contact points on the board that make contact with the tube. I soldered those points back to the body of the light and it started working again. I guess I was bored.