Maglite Reflector Mods?

PA86

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I'm looking to improve the beam on my 5D Maglite.

I don't like the "rings" I get on the flood setting nor how small the "hot spot" is as a spotlight.

I have a KlarusXT1A which just puts up big nice round area of light that I'd like to emulate as much as possible.

What can I do to improve things?

PA86

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, thank you.

Are there any options for just buying a replacement reflector?

Not sure I want to risk my only one on a new technique.

rikinwyoming

Newly Enlightened
interested in the answer for this,, have some 5 and 6 d maglights that could use improvement!

PA86

Newly Enlightened
interested in the answer for this,, have some 5 and 6 d maglights that could use improvement!

I did come across a "scotch tape" trick... a little bit of scotch tape (the frosty looking type, not the cellophane super clear type) over the lens got rid of the donut and made it more flloody but it definitely decreased the brightness.

silentcropduster

Newly Enlightened
Helur,

I am a police officer and I swear by rechargable flash lights, look into the rechargable Mag Light. You wont be disappointed. I forget what the candle light power is but I think its 100,000 vs yours which is like 25,000. It wil cost you though, about $90.00-105.00 but well worth it imo

Thanks just my .02 thou!

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
They could be out at the moment, they had one specifically for the m@g, maybe try emailing them.
Contact Fivemega if all else fails.

Could also use the Google search function of this forum.

rikinwyoming

Newly Enlightened
Helur,

I am a police officer and I swear by rechargable flash lights, look into the rechargable Mag Light. You wont be disappointed. I forget what the candle light power is but I think its 100,000 vs yours which is like 25,000. It wil cost you though, about $90.00-105.00 but well worth it imo

Thanks just my .02 thou!

You are talking about the magcharger lights,,,, I have two of them and love them,,, and thats part of why I am watching this thread because those babies are deserving of a kick *** upgrade... I got mine used off fleabay,,,, they were retired Phoenix pd lights I believe.

silentcropduster

Newly Enlightened
Correct I forgot the exact name of it lol. I recently upgraded to the Streamlight Stinger & Ultra Stinger w/ the conversion which makes them crazy bright, and the burn cooler.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go ahead and stipple your reflectors. I've done several. Do it very lightly at first, let the paint dry, then try the lamp. You can always add more. TX101 left a good link.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm looking at the site now.

Is there a particular brand or model I should be looking for? I don't know the specs for what I need.

Reflectors are shown here...

http://kaidomain.com/Category.228

One thing about Kaidomain is that their search function leaves ALOT to be desired. If you are looking for Mag reflectors, go here:

http://www.kaidomain.com/category.144.

They sell both smooth and MOP reflectors, and they sell both in ordinary and 'Version 3.1' form. Not sure what the difference is between the two. They all cost around $10, which is quite reasonable. But one thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for in terms of shipping. It's free. But it's VERY slow. Expect to wait around 3-4 weeks to receive your order.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing about Kaidomain is that their search function leaves ALOT to be desired. If you are looking for Mag reflectors, go here:

http://www.kaidomain.com/category.144.

They sell both smooth and MOP reflectors, and they sell both in ordinary and 'Version 3.1' form. Not sure what the difference is between the two. They all cost around $10, which is quite reasonable. But one thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for in terms of shipping. It's free. But it's VERY slow. Expect to wait around 3-4 weeks to receive your order.

thanks for that link! so is the "KD M*g OP reflector V3.1 15mm Opening" from that link good for the Malkoff LED modules? I want good throw for the XP-G2 3-6D drop-in, but I'm pretty sure the reflectors from that link aren't as deep as I need. Thoughts?

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for that link! so is the "KD M*g OP reflector V3.1 15mm Opening" from that link good for the Malkoff LED modules? I want good throw for the XP-G2 3-6D drop-in, but I'm pretty sure the reflectors from that link aren't as deep as I need. Thoughts?

I would say not really. Malkoff dropins use a 12mm LED star. So FM reflectors with hole 12.7mm work really well.
15mm is getting a bit big.
Further, as you suspect, those KD reflectors are not deep enough for throw.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I would say not really. Malkoff dropins use a 12mm LED star. So FM reflectors with hole 12.7mm work really well.
15mm is getting a bit big.
Further, as you suspect, those KD reflectors are not deep enough for throw.

Not deep enough for throw??? Makes me scratch my head seeing them beam light down range in my 6D ROP and 4D malkoff :duh2: