SureFire UB3T Invictus - yellow beam

the badger

Enlightened
Is the UB3Ts LED supposed to look yellow (almost incandescent!) on the lower settings vs the white light found on all other SureFire lights?
Every SF or other brand LED light I own is either the same white tint, or very close to, except the UB3T. I'm not saying that I don't like the yellow, but I'm so used to the white tint that it really looks odd, so much in fact it makes things in the bush blend in (whereas the white "pops" certain colors). Some may argue that the yellow tint is a more natural hue, but it still doesn't look right.

Does anybody else have this problem with their UB3T? Mine's brand new this week. Should I be thinking of exchanging it?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine also has a bit of yellow tint on low, noticeable on snow and white walls, but I wouldn't compare it to incan. It doesn't bother me.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire uses current control, and when LEDs are run at low currents, tint will become more yellow-green. There's nothing wrong with this, it's just one of the tradeoffs of current control vs. PWM.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The severity of tint shift depends on the LED, and there's a much bigger difference between the UB3T's max/min modes than the U2's max/min modes (plus, the lights use different LEDs).

the badger

Enlightened
Copy that.
I was contemplating exchanging it for another UB3T in hopes the new one would be white. Doesn't sound like it will be.

Thanks for the reply!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same with my UBR, which is more yellow than both my R1 and UNR. I am starting to like the yellow-ish tint more, because it's less dazzling, and the spill tint is less harsh.

As a side note, none of this can compare to the Annihilator, which was shown at SHOT 2013 and uses a multi-die LED with both green and white...imagine 2000 lumens of white plus 2000 lumens of green! :green:

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
The UB3T is such an amazing light. On mine I also notice a very slight yellow tint to on the lower outputs but when it's on max its incredible. To me its incredible on all setting though :)

the badger

Enlightened
Yes it is a pretty neat light. I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it though because of the size. It's just not that impressive when compared to my X300 Ultra (500 lumens). And with the LX2 Lumamax Ultra (500 lumens) coming out hopefully soon, this UB3T will probably end up in the trunk of my car.

Latest posts