Will XM-L2 D25C and D25A retain 4 distinct modes w/ 3.7v?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
For 1xcr123 size vs 1xAA size edc lights, my thoughts are, if using a 3.7v gives you only low and super-high, I'd stick with the 1xCR123 because then I'll have both a usable medium and a high lumen turbo. But if the light retains all distinct modes with 3.7v rechargeables, I'd go with 1xAA because then I'll have versatility of accepting AA's and longer runtimes, but also the high-lumens of 3.7v 14500s (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this).

Specifically I'm waiting for updated Cree XM-L2 eagletac D25 either C or A clicky non-Ti. I emailed eagletac-usa to answer this mode question, I'll post the response I get, might be of interest.

Edit, I see the d25lc2 2xcr123 lights also take 18650's, are the distinct modes retained with 1x 18650? Maybe this version makes more sense.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 1xcr123 size vs 1xAA size edc lights, my thoughts are, if using a 3.7v gives you only low and super-high, I'd stick with the 1xCR123 because then I'll have both a usable medium and a high lumen turbo. But if the light retains all distinct modes with 3.7v rechargeables, I'd go with 1xAA because then I'll have versatility of accepting AA's and longer runtimes, but also the high-lumens of 3.7v 14500s (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this).

Specifically I'm waiting for updated Cree XM-L2 eagletac D25 either C or A clicky non-Ti. I emailed eagletac-usa to answer this mode question, I'll post the response I get, might be of interest.

Edit, I see the d25lc2 2xcr123 lights also take 18650's, are the distinct modes retained with 1x 18650? Maybe this version makes more sense.

I have a 2013 edition D25c Ti that came with an XML-U2, which I swapped for an XM-L2 T6 neutral. It maintains all 4 modes running on IMR 16340.

Presumably when Eagletac starts producing its own XML2 D25cs, they will simply use the same driver as in the 2013 Ti version.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will XM-L2 D25C and D25A retain 4 distinct modes w/ 3.7v?

good question. none of us has the XM-L2.
my 2013 Clicky Ti d25a can produce 5 different brightness levels on Eneloop and 4 different brightness levels on 14500. hope this helps.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac D25 XM-L2 U2 models have not been shipped to retailers yet. You will have to be patient until people get their hands on them. Do not get the black aluminum models mixed up with the 2013 Titanium model that has an updated driver for Li-Ion support. However, I think the updated driver that regulates Li-Ion does not have the D25C 770 lumen turbo.

The 18650 models will always maintain proper mode spacing.

cyclesport

Enlightened
^
Gordo: I'm curious as to your speculation that the updated driver/A400RC III currently found in the 2013 D25C Ti (or soon to be released XM-L2 version) will, or does not have the 2012's 770 lumen turbo output. I too am interested in getting the 2013 D25C/XM-L2 T6 NW when avail, and I assumed since these 2013 models still go into DD with Li-ions, it would be similar to the 2012 Ti's output. Just trying to understand your comment?

Maybe I missed something regarding output in an earlier post...

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are quite a few of these Eagletac D25 threads. Somebody mentioned they have the 2013 D25C Titanium Li-Ion support model and it is nowhere near as bright as their black aluminum D25C model. It stands to reason when you have current regulation for constant brightness for the Li-Ion cells, they are no longer going to be direct drive. Hence they are purposely being driven at the proper lower levels. Therefore, you lose the 770 lumen turbo.

I tried in vain to get someone to respond back with answers, but to no avail. So I'm still not sure. We also don't know what the 2013 black aluminum circuit will have.

I was about to get the D25LC2 XMLU2. So glad I didn't. Now I will wait for the release of the D25LC2 XML2U2 model. Of course, that model has proper regulation for an 18650 cell.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
There are quite a few of these Eagletac D25 threads. Somebody mentioned they have the 2013 D25C Titanium Li-Ion support model and it is nowhere near as bright as their black aluminum D25C model. It stands to reason when you have current regulation for constant brightness for the Li-Ion cells, they are no longer going to be direct drive. Hence they are purposely being driven at the proper lower levels. Therefore, you lose the 770 lumen turbo.

I tried in vain to get someone to respond back with answers, but to no avail. So I'm still not sure. We also don't know what the 2013 black aluminum circuit will have.

I was about to get the D25LC2 XMLU2. So glad I didn't. Now I will wait for the release of the D25LC2 XML2U2 model. Of course, that model has proper regulation for an 18650 cell.

Thanks...I get your point re output. The reason I believe(d?) the 2013 D25C that maintains all modes w/li-ions is ET's 2013 Ti D25 clicky web page still shows, when clicking on battery fitment, that it is in direct drive? This however could be a matter of outdated website info. Your right though...we'll have to wait for the D25C Ti XM-L2's release to be completely sure.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Do not get the black aluminum models mixed up with the 2013 Titanium model that has an updated driver for Li-Ion support. However, I think the updated driver that regulates Li-Ion does not have the D25C 770 lumen turbo.

The 18650 models will always maintain proper mode spacing.

So the 2013 titanium D25's support Li-Ion modes but the 2013 XL-M2 black models might not?

And the 770-lumen turbo models will lack modes, but the Li-Ion mode-supporting drivers will lack the 770 lumen turbo? Interesting...

Yeah Gordo, after some OCD research and a crash course on LEDs and batteries this past week I am also leaning to the DC25LC2 XML2 U2 or T6.

I'll just keep my 4sevens 1xAA mini in my organizer also, for emergencies when primaries might be more accessible. Might seem excessive, but living in NYC there are a lot of things that can and do go wrong, like getting stuck in a dark subway or elevator during a power outage, natural disasters like Sandy, and my main concern a major biochem or dirty bomb terrorist attack. I see the appeal of living someplace like Idaho, but I do love it here, so it's a calculated risk. That said if and when I can afford it, I'm getting a house in a low population density area with plenty of fresh air and stars in the sky.

Thank you for all the responses.

Last edited: