Need some help with a 2D LED Mag to a 4AA Mag

Jailbird1

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a bit of help with my 2D to 4AA Mag project. The machining and custom work aren't the problem, the electronics are. The Mag I have is an older, we'll call it a 1st gen, LED model. I'm going to cut it down and size it for 4AAs. I'm looking for a good balance of output and run time, with a simple on/off set-up. I can either run the light at 3v with a series/parallel battery configuration, or at 6v with a series config. Any suggestions, advice, input, etc would be great. The light is pretty much going to be used as a general camping/outdoor light.

BTW, I tried the search, but didn't turn up much as far as the electronics.
Thanks!

-Brian

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest 4 NiMh (4.8v) not 4 alkalines (6v) and use them to power a single XML using a 8x7135 driver. I built the same light it works great.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
I would suggest 4 NiMh (4.8v) not 4 alkalines (6v) and use them to power a single XML using a 8x7135 driver. I built the same light it works great.

Why not use a single 18650 with that driver? Closer vf and almost twice the run time with a quality cell. Heck you could step up the game and go as far as using a feilong 32650 at 6000mA that's around two hrs of run time on high for your xml.

As far as the op, no intention is specified. Are you planning on staying with the current led set up or do you want to upgrade(if so, to what?). And same suggestion goes for you, why not use a much higher capacity 18650 or even better 26650 or 32650.

Last edited:

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
I'm too cheap to buy a 32650, but I do swap in an 18650 sometimes. I suggested the nimh because they are inexpensive and user friendly.