Inova X2 options...

BarryG

Enlightened
My dad had an Inova X2 that stopped working. I traded him my old X2 for it and now not sure what to do with the non-working one. Should I try to get a replacement through Nite-Ize or try my first modding project. Are there any simple mods for the X2. I don't really need the light so if I mess it up, no big deal.

White powder around the LED and a stuck battery contact were the only signs of failure. I asked dad if the batteries leaked and he said no.

Any way to open the head and get a closer look?

I thought maybe a ShiningBeam driver and an XP-G2?

Thanks,
Barry

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to get a replacement through Nite-Ize before attempting to mod the light. The X2 isn't easy to open, and the mod is a challenge, too.

If Nite-Ize fails with a warranty replacement, then mod away. To open the head of the light, you need to fill it with water and depress the plunger to get the air out of the head. Use some electrical tape cut into a circle to seal the tailcap, and screw it on tightly. Place the light head up in the freezer for several hours, and let the ice push the bezel/optic out. It may take several tries. Be sure to thaw and refill the light with each try. For the mod, you are going to have to get the LED to fit in the space of the original and get it focused. It shouldn't be too difficult if you have done any modifications in the past. Be sure to take some pictures to post here.

BarryG

Enlightened
Thanks datiLED, this would be my first mod. I have other lights and my X2 was just sitting around so giving it to dad was no big deal.

If I can get a replacement from Nite-Ize, what would be a good first light to get to try a simple mod on? I would hate to mess up one of my better lights.

Barry

Illum

Flashaholic
Inova lights are notoriously known for their difficulty in being modded. They are press fit as opposed to a screw on assembly.

BarryG

Enlightened
Nite-Ize is going to cover the light under warranty.
I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to try modding...

Barry