Is the "Warm" Sky Ray King 3000k tint/temp spec accurate?

holygeez03

Enlightened
Does anyone have the Warm (3000k) Sky Ray King? I would like to use the light for photographic purposes and the 3000k color temperature would match up with incandescent light sources better, if accurate.

I have the neutral white (4700k) version and would be interested in the "warm" version if it is truly 3000k.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Does anyone have the Warm (3000k) Sky Ray King? I would like to use the light for photographic purposes and the 3000k color temperature would match up with incandescent light sources better, if accurate.

I have the neutral white (4700k) version and would be interested in the "warm" version if it is truly 3000k.

Also, how is the CRI?

It isn't.

The color temperature is only relevant when talking about white light, and has nothing to do with TINT...which is the color of the beam...and NEITHER has anything to do with CRI, which is how accurately the light renders colors.

:D

You'd want a high CRI light, not a yellow light, for photography....and the listed specs, even if accurate, do not tell you that information.

Also - the Sky Ray, and other generic Chinese lights, are made by whoever are making them at the moment, so what you get might be ANYTHING....as the QA/QC is not that stringent ("Absent" is a typical description).

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I think most responders on this forum know what I am referring to... I can't find a tint bin spec for this light and the seller only lists it as "warm" and "3000k"... so I would like to know if it is really warm/orange and how it compares to, let's say, my Dereelight "warm" XM-L emitter that is listed as 7A tint.

I also realize that CRI is a different spec... my question is, if anyone owns it, what is the CRI like on the "warm" Sky Ray King?

Any Warm Sky Ray owners, your response will greatly influence whether I take a chance on this version of the light.

FYI... the Neutral Sky Ray King makes an excellent handheld light source for adding some extra lumens in an entire room. I try to never use a flash, even indoors, and I can't setup large studio lights for my applications. With modern equipment (Canon 6D), this is very achievable. A "warm" Sky Ray King might be my dream come true for handheld room illumination...