has anyone taken the guts out a zl

gianetics

Enlightened
im trying to build my ultimate edc and i like the runtimes/output/ui of the zebralight sc52, but not the side switch and floodyness. i want it to run on aa/14500 fully regulated. i know that the bezel is press fit and a few have swapped emitters but has anyone taken the driver out? at this point im ready to buy a sacrificial light. Unless someone knows of an efficient driver rated for .8-4.2V that has at least 3 modes and is able to start in moonlight.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I have the SC52, D25A Clicky, and Quark AA, all with the XML emitter. I've run random side-by-side tests with a light meter and stop watch and find them to be, more or less, equally efficient on a lumen-hr basis. The specs suggest otherwise, but let's just say 47s and ET are being "conservative" ;-). Quarks and the SC52 are among the very few efficient lights that have moonlight mode and will retain complete current regulation of all low modes from <1V to 4.2V. The Quarks can be had with throwier emitters, and reflectors, and lego'd for custom configs.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
The Zebralight driver will need to be switched by a second ground path as used in HDS, Novatac, and Liteflux lights if you're going to use a switch on the tailcap. Simple clicky or twist activation is not an option.
Both the (+) and (-) terminals of the battery are connected constantly and the switch closes between (-) and a switch input on the driver to turn on/off or change levels.
The Quark driver switches by breaking/making the (-) connection.
Hope this helps, post progress or questions in the homemade & modified section for help from the modders.