• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Photon King 1 Auction

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Photon King 1 Benefit Auction Notice :

I have been given the honor of presenting the Photon King 1 for auction on behalf of the Photon King (PK) himself. All proceeds from this sale go to CPF and Sasha can chime in on that count.

A little background is likely called for. It is no surprise that the world's most advanced prototype shop for illumination tools is headed by a flashaholic of the highest order; that is to say that he isn't necessarily playing with the same deck as "normal" people. Please consider this early archive photo of the man at work:

MAdScientist.jpg

The PhotonKing 1 is a prototype that is being offered for sale to the highest bidder. It is NOT a SureFire supported or warranted tool. There are two of these in existence and one of them will remain in the possession of PK. The lucky owner of the second light is to be determined here.

Some specs:

Custom Bezel based on oops; sorry can't say

M6 battery pack with LOTC: 6 ea. 123 cells providing 9 volts

Light Source: X bin 5W SideEmitter Luxeon LED driven by a constant current driver ar approximately 1400 mA

Light Output: YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif OK, no idea of luminous output and as to Lux, my personal light meter clocked the PK1 in excess of 11000 lux. This number has been reached by many with Lambertian LED's but to get here with a SideEmitter is likely some new ground.

RunTime: Good luck concentrating on a watch with this light in your hand! I have no idea but others can probably do the math. Needless to say, this light will give a fair run on a set of batteries.

Beam: The beam is a two part beam; direct (spill) and reflected. However with the SE LED, the reflected beam has two distinct and rather unique features. It consists of a reasonably broad projected beam with a central core of considerably higher intensity. You essentially have a typical spill flood moving into a concentrated large spot and then into the center with a core capable of amazing reach and illumination of distant targets. Below is a beam shot showing the "2 part" reflected beam. The exposure was based on the saturation level of the reflected beam and consequently the spill portion of the beam is not readily apparent in the image.

beam.jpg

The LED is mounted on a sink pedestal and even surrounded by a radiant portion of the heat sink assembly.

It's probably past time to provide a telling image of this amazing light.

PhotonKingI.jpg

PhotonKingI-2.jpg

Below is a photo of the man himself offering this gift to CPF! Notice he has personally engraved the battery tube as well; this after a strong persistance on my part. He is a very humble and kind gent and was concerned that such a marking would be presumptious on his part. I don't think so!

photonking1-a.jpg

A final comment I must make; I have had a chance to see and use this light and consequently I will bid on it as well. I have no illusions that my shallow pockets will prevail but perhaps for a moment, I will have the right to dream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
ROTFLMAO! I'm not the only challenged one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
How's it feel Carpe??? Ha Ha

[/ QUOTE ]

Don`t worry, Don...

We`re (I mean *You`re*) not done yet.

We`ll get these pikers out of here in short order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
At this rate, I want to buy some stock in this thing!! We have a week to go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray..

I`ll let you catch up first. Then Don will start bidding his a$$ off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif