What type of user interface(mode selection) do you prefer these days?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you picky about how your lights are designed when it comes to mode change options(UI)?

^BTW: The reason I didnt just save space by typing UI is because when I am new to a certain interest, hobby or topic, I dont always know what the abbreviations mean, and I see more newer members here these days than I saw before, so I figured I'd spell it out.

I find that the more lights I own, the more picky I become when it comes to things like UI, color tint, etc. But if I only had 1 or 2 lights, then I wouldnt be so picky mainly because I probably wouldnt be all that aware of the other UI/tint options out there, and wouldnt have experience using them.

My Thrunite TN30 has the rear clicky for on/off, and the bezel twist ring for mode adjustment, and to be honest, with a light of its girth I'd prefer not to have a rear clicky. It would be better with a TK-41/60/70 style dual side switch system. But I dont use it much, so its not a big deal. I like my TK41's UI.

My ZL SC52 has the fairly complicated single switch with 11 modes(like the SC600), so it takes a little while to get used to it. But I still like it, and I'm now carrying it every day, since I lost the snap-off pocket clip on my Spark SL5-220CW, which meant if I was to keep carrying it, I'd have to drop it into the bottom of my pocket with my keys and scratch it all up like my BC-10. But I have to say that I like the Spark's simple mode memory a little better than the SC52's complicated click system when I need to quickly find a certain mode. I was showing the SC52 to someone the other day, and I kept having to say, "hold on, let me get it to the right mode", then I'd click it too fast or with not enough time between clicks, and I'd have to start over and say, "hold on, let me find the mode here". You cant be in a hurry with that light, especially if you are showing off its different modes to someone. I do really like the light though, dont get me wrong there. Its just a bit "difficult" at times.

I really dont mind the Eagletac G25C2's whole head twist, mode switching style. An analog mode memory system is what it amounts to. So I can leave it on whatever mode I use most(low-medium), and twist the bezel if needed, and its always a no-glitch, no-nonsense system that works every time. Its not a big deal to use 2 hands with it. The only reason I have a slight dislike for the TN30's similar bezel twist ring/rear clicky, is that its just too wide to be a rear clicky light for ergonomic reasons, so it would be better with 2 side switches.

I guess I havent found the perfect system yet, but I like the UI on most of the lights I own. Whats your feeling on "ideal UI"?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Ui I like using is a Rotary. However after purchsing several Rotary lights, HDS works best in regards to how I hold / handle the light.

The other light I carry is the low / high UI in both of my Fury's (XM-L and modded XPG-2), as well as the press for low, press harder for high, twist for constent on in my LX2.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I like EagleTac's and FourSevens UI for all purpose lights: plenty of modes available, but set up so that you don't have to go through them all to get to the ones you want.

I should add that I like lights with a memory (one of Thrunite's strengths).

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the light, seldom used or often used. For often used lights I am extremely picky about the user interface, it is the first thing I look at. Most lights disqualify at this stage, saving me a lot of money :)

If I could only chose one UI, it would be SureFire's two-stage pushbutton tailcap switch like you find on LX2.

However, there are no ideal UI, I need different UIs for different tasks/situations. Now that it is winter, I use jackets with big pockets, I have previously EDCed smaller 2 cell lights, but since the lights often jams in the bottom of the pocket I now have moved up to larger lights (SF C3 with Malkoff drop-in, I find even this one a little on the short side). For summer time I'm probably changing to a LX2. For the EDC I find that I prefer a tactical tailcap for fast activation (I usually only need a short blast of light), so the SF tactical tailcap or SF two stage tactical is what I prefer. Now, if SureFire would make a LX3 (or non-turbo UB3T), then I may have my ideal light.

For lights that are going to used for a longer period of time, hiking, around the house etc., I prefer something with a multifunction side switch with at least a press and hold function to give you temporary max mode (this is the most important function).

Cycling mode changes I cannot stand (e.g. Fenix), especially when there are many modes and strobe and SOS.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually enjoy having different interfaces, but the ones I go to most at home are:\

Rotary ring or tailcap; either in front or the back and either infinite variable or set outputs (MBI HF, Sunwayman V11R or M11R) one ro two-handed operation is secondary most of the time.
Zebra Interface for when I know I'll be playing a lot with the output.
Quark tactical interface for... well, for other time.

I definitely go for a forward clickie when I just need to do small spot-checks (oh, lord a pun! :ohgeez:)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is a forward clicky on the tailcap, with a head twist for hi or low mode.
Like the Malkoff lights with the Hi/Lo switch have.
It allows pre-selecting the brightness mode before I turn on the light, which I think is a very important thing to be able to do.

My current pocket EDC has a 3-mode progressive L/M/H clicky UI, which I really am not very wild about, but the light is very good in all the other ways, so I live with clicking the switch to change modes.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so glad to see more flashlight designers providing multiple interface controls. This makes it easy and convenient to isolate secondary functions from the controls of the primary functions. Of course, you can do it with a single control, but you have to be deliberate in allowing the secondaries to be hidden.

For instance, on the NovaTac EDC and HDS Systems EDC, you can program the assignments of secondary functions to a primary control (single or double click), or a single secondary control (triple-click). Thus, you can feasibly scroll through your primary levels without ever seeing strobe, but then call in strobe on a triple click. I really like this about the NovaTac. So, I was pleased to see Nitecore facilitate this kind of setup in the EA4, even though programming is not provided. Triple-click brings on the strobe.

So, I prefer a single interface control *if* the secondaries are well hidden, but not too cumbersome to access. If multiple controls are provided, a twist head or ring is nice for the secondary.

As for output levels, I'm not that keen on wide variable settings like on the V10R/V11R. Frankly, having too much choice means it's easy to get caught up in fiddling with the setting. I prefer a more delineated set of levels, like on the Surefire U2, so you can choose between two levels and pick on the one closest to what you need then be done with it. But then, this is what I like about the NovaTac and HDS--you have a wide range of brightness choices, but you select what you want and then it's quickly available on demand. No level scrolling necessary.

And lastly, I'm also a big fan of forward clicky with momentary on. It's great with flashlights like the Olight M20/21 and Surefire U2, where you can silently momentary on at will.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been really picky on UIs. With the exception of my smallest pocket lights, where I'm willing to give up some UI elegance for the form factor, I know how I use a light and what works for me. The main thing that doesn't work for me is any light where I have to click-click-click or twist-twist-twist to get through modes -- in my more curmudgeonly/abrasive moods, I call this the "our engineers aren't even trying" interface, and since it's the most popular one (even on high-$ customs), it rules out a lot of lights for me.

For EDC and general use, I find a ring the best interface, period. I only have rings that are coupled with a rear switch (ala Sunwayman V10R), though I suspect I'd be as happy, or even more happy, with a light that only uses a ring (ala Jetbeam RRT01)

For a small light, my fave interface is "twist a little for low, twist farther for high", ala the Aeon.

For a defensive light, my current fave is the Klarus XT interface. The fact that it always has momentary high, instant access to strobe from any mode or off, makes it the winner for this role. Yes, you have to click-click-click to change to any other mode besides high or strobe, but you do so from a separate rear button, which means: 1. the light still has momentary mode on high, which is sacrificed on almost all other click-click-click interfaces, and 2. you don't have to reposition the light to change modes, ala the Fenix PD32. Small sacrifice to get an incredibly designed defensive interface but still have the flexibility of multiple modes

Other type of UIs that work for me: HDS/Novatac interface for EDC/general use (vaguely similar concept to the Zebralight, but so well executed that it ends up incredibly instinctive, and I never make a mistake), and Photon Freedom type interface

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my favorite UI for a pocket EDC light is magnetic ring with no button, like in the Niteye EYE10 and Jetbeam RRT-01.

Once I added more lubricant to my RRT-01's ring to get rid of the grinding feeling, it's now super-smooth. Instant access to any brightness level. Really an excellent UI.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other type of UIs that work for me: HDS/Novatac interface for EDC/general use (vaguely similar concept to the Zebralight, but so well executed that it ends up incredibly instinctive, and I never make a mistake), and Photon Freedom type interface

The HDS/Novatac has only one button (aside from the HDS rotary), and there's quite a bit of clicking involved (double click to move between primary modes), including one mode that requires a triple click to activate. And in programming, there's a whole slew of different indicators to tell you which option you're on, rather tricky to memorize. I've found found that memorizing the few that I tend to use works well.

I think the best UI of any light is the HDS Rotary. You get the advanced programming of the legendary Novatac/HDS EDC, plus a selector ring to scroll through brightness levels quickly. PLUS, clicking can jump to a specified brightness, something most rotary selector flashlights don't have.

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
I think if I had to choose a single interface (as in I am carrying a single flashlight), it would be the HDS rotary. You can decide how much light you want before you turn it on. The controls (on/off and mode change) are available without changing grip on the light (this is the single most important thing to me). You have the option of pre-programmed (by the user) levels, 4 of them or rotary control. It is, in my opinion, the best combination of ergonomics and convenience available.

Now, given that I always carry 2... My favorites are:
1. - The Surefire press a little for momentary low, press harder for momentary high, rotate a little for constant on low (with press for momentary high from constant low) and rotate more for constant on high.
2. - The Jetbeam infinitely adjustable control ring light. Just a ring, no switch. Grab it and dial in the exact amount of light I want.

Both of these have the most important attribute of...the controls are all available without changing grip on the light, which I have found is what I want most.

With the above 2, I have a tactical light that is throwy with instantly available high while having an instantly available low that I don't have to click to. I have a flooder with output available from a whisper of light all the way to ~600 lumens on a 16340. With these 2 I have many bases covered and I am a happy camper.

ThumperACC

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Ui I like using is a Rotary. However after purchsing several Rotary lights, HDS works best in regards to how I hold / handle the light.

The other light I carry is the low / high UI in both of my Fury's (XM-L and modded XPG-2), as well as the press for low, press harder for high, twist for constent on in my LX2.

+1

i think i would like the HDS rotary, but i have not tried one yet. i like that the rotary control is in the rear, somewhat similar to a LX2, or L1. unlike a v10r which is towards the bezel, which forces me to change grip postions when using the dial after switching it on. (i dont have clumsy hands, but i guess i just dont trust them :shrug::laughing:)
although the surefire titan is nicely done for its dial being towards the bezel because the dial controls on/off and brightness, so does not require changing grips.

but my favorite and most used UI is the dual-stage momentary found the the L1, LX2, and aviator series.
i also use my E-series a lot. and find its 2-mode, no memory, forward clicky UI ideal for a clicky UI.
and i also use single mode lights that houses a malkoff with either a mcclicky, or momentary switch a lot.

what i dislike using are any lights that cycle more than two modes in any way either by clicking, or twisting.
i also dislike having to twist the bezel in any way because i like easy 1-hand operation.
so it seems i like my lights to be simple and near idiotproof, cause im not the snartest :D

jcw122

Enlightened
The 4Sevens Tactical interface is my favorite. Very simple yet customizable.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my favorite UI for a pocket EDC light is magnetic ring with no button, like in the Niteye EYE10 and Jetbeam RRT-01.

Once I added more lubricant to my RRT-01's ring to get rid of the grinding feeling, it's now super-smooth. Instant access to any brightness level. Really an excellent UI.

Ive never tried one of them. Are you saying that you can twist the ring with the same hand you are holding the light with to turn it on and switch modes?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best UI is on/off for me. I like to be able to program the modes I want and have it come on to the level I left it at. There's a ton of lights that do this. I hate having to go through modes from lowest to brightest or whatever order the manufacturer put them in. The only exception being the Quark Regular for a bedside light. It always comes on in moonlight mode and then you can up the brightness as your eyes adapt or you need more light.

Never been a fan of the million modes option. I like dim, brighter and blinding.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ I'm with you on this. For me, too many choices adds more mental processing to what you're doing. You scroll the brightness ring to increase brightness... and when do you stop? You think you've brightened enough and stop, then back it off a bit to see if a little less will do. Maybe too much, so you scroll it back up again. Bah. I program the brightness levels I favor in my NovaTac 120P and they're quickly accessible with just a couple of clicks, and I don't have to think about it. Now I want to change one of those settings just a little for the task at hand? No problem with a couple of clicks.

The Surefire U2 has 6 brightness levels, accessible with a rotary ring. Works really well. I never find myself wishing I had a setting somewhere in between.

Maybe what these new rotary lights need to do (outside of the HDS), is have a user settable control for how much to step when turning the ring. THAT would be nice. Some people may want high precision and make the stepping very small, while others want a more pronounced step and increase it. The stepping would evenly disperse across the travel of the ring so you never find the light hitting the same brightness levels at different ring positions.

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
Ive never tried one of them. Are you saying that you can twist the ring with the same hand you are holding the light with to turn it on and switch modes?
Hi,

I know you're not asking me, but I have an RRT-01. Yes, you can grab it with your ring/little fingers and twist with your thumb/index finger very easily. Pull it out, twist to desired amount of light. That simple...love it.

ThumperACC

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I know you're not asking me, but I have an RRT-01. Yes, you can grab it with your ring/little fingers and twist with your thumb/index finger very easily. Pull it out, twist to desired amount of light. That simple...love it.

ThumperACC

Also, not only is it easy to operate one-handed (and without changing grip), the turning distance is short enough that you can easily get to full output from off in a single gesture. From a pure user interface standpoint, this is pretty much ideal for me.

That being said, I've started to sort of get more comfortable with multi-mode P60 dropins recently, thanks to the X60L3. For a while I thought I hated multi-mode clickie/twisty UI, but now think I mostly just hated mode memory.