Solar charging Klarus RS1A?

wedlpine

Enlightened
Would I be okay using a SunTactics sCharger-5 for charging an eneloop in a Klarus RS1A?

I'm looking for a good light to be stashed in a Bug Out Bag.

Thanks,
Tom

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its kinda hard to figure it all out.
See the li-ion (general) uses a specific charge method, that can be restarted over and over again.
The max charge rate for the klarus (general) is 500ma, the solar pannel (1A) will put that out even if it is off azmith some. The specs on the solar shows an ability to restart it's charge curcuit (USB out).
The solar in this case doesnt have an internal battery. Internal batteries work as "buffers", and in smaller solar packs the internal is charged (taking forever) and the USB output is actually driven from the battery. This pannel is just Solar, and USB ?

I can locate some specs, but not enough specs on the AA model of the klarus, and not enough to get an idea as to the method. Other than, if you manually never overcharged , it would work fine.

There are more than 2 ways to charge a ni-mh cell.
Some of the "end of charge" detection methods would be terrible things for solar, because it can "re-start" the charge again and again, as a cloud goes by, or as a shadow hits. If they use a Very simple method of charging, the starting and stoping over and over again, would not be a problem.
Chances are good that they use one of 2 charging methods in the AA light that would not cause any problems from restarting. But without a review of the electronics, or even a few bench tests, it would take quite a lot of specs data to be sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts