6P boring?

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
The other day I went into a store and saw some of the new incan 6Ps. I am aware that Surefire has started to bore their lights so that you can't use 17670s. I was wondering if this is the case with the NEW 6Ps?

I did a search but did not find anything. Pardon me if i missed something.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a couple incandescent 6Ps with serial numbers in the low A728000 range, and they both fit AW 1600 mAh 17670s with plenty of wiggle room.

I would be quite surprised for Surefire to change the specs on these lights.

Grizz

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I recently bought a couple incandescent 6Ps with serial numbers in the low A728000 range, and they both fit AW 1600 mAh 17670s with plenty of wiggle room.

I would be quite surprised for Surefire to change the specs on these lights.

Grizz

Did they come in a blister pack with incandescent written in gold? I think those are the new ones at least those are the ones in the store I looked at.

jcw122

Enlightened
How do they bore them to prevent that? Smaller bore or something? Not many people run 17670s anyway, although I do.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do they bore them to prevent that? Smaller bore or something? Not many people run 17670s anyway, although I do.

My new(ish) E2E has a body that tapers inwards about 1" from the tailcap. It'll fit a 16340 but not a 17670. I used a Dremel and a sandpaper dowel to remove the extra metal and now I can just barely squeeze a 17mm cell in there.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did they come in a blister pack with incandescent written in gold? I think those are the new ones at least those are the ones in the store I looked at.

I actually just tossed one of them into a drawer, package and all. Yep, blister pack with Incandescent in gold on the right side.

The light actually slides in and out of the package from the right without even opening it. The owner's manual slides into slots in the plastic behind the light, also removable.

Grizz

RGB_LED

Enlightened
So, does that mean the new 6P's have a slight taper in them?

My new(ish) E2E has a body that tapers inwards about 1" from the tailcap. It'll fit a 16340 but not a 17670. I used a Dremel and a sandpaper dowel to remove the extra metal and now I can just barely squeeze a 17mm cell in there.
calipsoii, I experienced the same issue: I bought a 'new logo' E2e last year that had the same taper and I spent a considerable amount of time sanding the inside till my AW17670 just fit. Interestingly enough, around the same time, I picked up 2 Eagletac 17670's and they slid right in and are quite loose. :D

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of different options. Any drop-in labeled as a P60 should work.

The predominant high end single-mode engines are made by Malkoff. Nailbender and Vinhnguyen54 make custom drop-ins with multiple modes that are highly regarded here.

There have been quite a few threads in the last few months on the subject of drop-in selection.

Grizz

awyeah

Enlightened
Well well. I was aware of the whole drop-in thing, but I didn't know they still made the original 6P! I had an original 6P LED that I lost a long time ago. Boy did I love the feel of that light! Tough as nails. I might have to pick one up!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a different light, but as to 17670s, my Surefire Fury P2XD (Defender variant, single output) seems to taper towards the head and I haven't tried forcing in a protected AW 17670 in all the way because it probably wouldn't come out haha

but that being said, the walls on the P2__ series Surefires are apparently much, much thicker than the 6Ps we know and love

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a different light, but as to 17670s, my Surefire Fury P2XD (Defender variant, single output) seems to taper towards the head and I haven't tried forcing in a protected AW 17670 in all the way because it probably wouldn't come out haha

but that being said, the walls on the P2__ series Surefires are apparently much, much thicker than the 6Ps we know and love

Well, to my understanding, the weakest part of the body is always that part cut for o-ring, that's where the body have the least meat once bored... but as for the rest of P2/6PX, it's VERY thick...

But any of Surefires that have tapper inside the body (all newer E series and apparently these new X lines), it's easy to fix with cordless drill, piece of metal bar long enough to enter the body full length and thick enough to get few wraps of around 80 grit sand-paper (held by few drops of superglue here and there)... then just insert into body and sand-away per need... just clean metal particle before test-fit battery to prevent damage to the wrapping...

I did few dozens of E series this way, works like a charm all the time and now it only takes like 5 minutes for one (now that I have that "special" tool)...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well well. I was aware of the whole drop-in thing, but I didn't know they still made the original 6P! I had an original 6P LED that I lost a long time ago. Boy did I love the feel of that light! Tough as nails. I might have to pick one up!

Ahhhh. I just bought a couple 6P Originals a couple months ago for $50 each. I found a 9P for a good price a few months before that. They are available, and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Grizz

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember, but that probably doesn't matter, since I'm sure the sale has ended.

I actually just ordered a bored Original body (no tailcap or bezel) from Fivemega a few days ago for $40. They are for sale in a thread here on CPF. I'm on my phone, so can't be of much more help than that. I looked at it yesterday, and there were a few left.

Grizz

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
While mine doesn't put on plays or take me out on the town or anything crazy like that, I wouldn't consider mine "boring"...more reserved than anything :0)