Is it a Streamlight Twin Task 3C or not?!?!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading good reviews on Flashlightreviews.com and this forum, I've been thinking about buying a Streamlight Twin Task 3C flashlight. I happen to live near a Brookstone and have read on several occasions that they sell the same light, so I decided to check it out. I searched the Brookstone website and found a like that looks just like the Streamlight Twin Task. They called it the "NEW 3-in-1 Aluminum Super Light". I printed the page and walked into Brookstone so I could examine the light more closely. Once I got it in my hands I noticed something was not right. I clicked it on and off a few times and it hit me. There was no Xenon bulb. I reread the info and it said one of the modes is "single LED provides magnified focused beam of light". I also noticed that the reflector wasn't the same. Instead of being concaved and textured, it was basically flat across and polished. Could someone fill me in on what's going on? Does Brookstone sell the Xenon one or not? Is this really a "NEW" light and is it better? Have people been having problems with the Xenon bulb or anything?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=402982

Is not a Twintask 3-C equivalent. As you mentioned, it has LEDs only, no xenon bulb.

At one time they carried the one with the xenon bulb, but it appears as though this new model may have replaced it. IMHO it greatly reduces the utility potential of the light if that center LED is not a Luxeon (which is not stated).

haertig

Newly Enlightened
I just ran into one of these in Brookstone at my nearby mall this weekend. The center, focused LED was not bright at all. The 3-LED mode was a brighter, wider beam than the single focused LED. Being in a strongly lit store there was no way to test the throw of the focused LED, but looking at two feet out from a white wall the 3 LED's (and obviously the 6) seemed every bit as bright (and much wider) than the focused one. The focused one looked like something coming out of a PALight, with a blueish ring around the outside of the pretty tight spot. The light itself appeared nicely made, but I didn't play with it much. I think it was $39. Much more than I would consider spending for this "feature mix". I'd prefer to by two SL4AA's for that price (almost). Brighter, lighter, smaller, cheaper. Just my personal opinion, of course.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one of these at the Brookstone at Northgate Mall in Seattle, two days ago. Same basic body and same basic switch function as the SL TT3C but with a 10mm, narrow angle LED in the center. The beam shape and output of the center LED was disappointing at best. When I asked the clerk about this light, he said that Brookstone used to carry the Xenon light, but switched to this design a couple of months ago. While the SL TT3C has been on my wish list for a while, this permutation doesn't even make the grade. Besides, Brookstone tends to be over-priced anyway. 'Nuff said.

Dan

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. I had points to use at Brookstone and I really didn't want to spend them on Inova lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Nothing else currently interest me and I'm not willing to plunk down even more money. The SL TT 3C Xenon would have been perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif If anyone figure out a way to get the old Xenon style through Brookstone, please PM me. Thanks.

Rex01

Newly Enlightened
Brookstone used to carry several Nuwai-style lights, for example: their version of the Xenergy and Nuwai's Xenon/LED/CCFL three-way light. Those are both great flashlights, and now they carry neither.

Sounds like they succumbed to the hype. I quote from the Lifestyle Fascination site: "Three super-bright LEDs give the brightest, whitest light known to man."

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rex01 said:
...I quote from the Lifestyle Fascination site: "Three super-bright LEDs give the brightest, whitest light known to man."

[/ QUOTE ]LOL....Oh brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brookstone still carries their LS and its a fairly easy mod. I've yet to replace the converter in mine with a DownBoy yet (to many other things in my life right now), but I've found it a fairly satisfying light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan