CREE XM-L2 Light Project

Doogie

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker. First post. There is a lot of good readin on here so I figured it was time to contribute.

I figured you LED goobers would appreciate my little project. 2 XM-L2s T5 bin running at ~1.3 amps with some 16 degree reflectors. The board was designed and made by me. It will eventually be mounted in some kind of enclosure and will be used for night time excursions into the woods.

DSC00764.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

DSC00768.JPG

DSC00769.JPG

DSC00770.JPG

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, now you need to add a few more for good measure! What reflectors are those, anyway?

Doogie

Newly Enlightened
LEDIL LENINA-S. I am going to do 4 LEDs probably, spread em out a bit and mount it on the front of a boat.

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hi, I found this link through another post where you mentionned that you made a driver using the A6211 chip.
I checked the datasheet. Did you use the example in the datasheet to get the 1.3A current or did you modify it? what would be needed to get to the 3A? just replace the sense resistor?
Could you show us a picture of the driver?

Thanks,
Johan

Doogie

Newly Enlightened
The chip is looking for 200mV across the sense resistor. Rsense = .2V / Iout. You can set it to whatever you want.

I haven't tried 3 Amps yet, but I have had it running at ~2Amps for a few days

The driver is on the board in between the LEDs in the first picture. I can take a close up picture later today.

With one XM-L it will drop out at ~5.5V. It can handle plenty more than 9 V though.

I'll bet it all gets pretty hot pretty fast at 3A stuck in flashlight though.

Last edited: