Surefire E1B Backup not on Surefire website anymore?

Craig K

Enlightened
Is the Surefire E1B Backup not available to buy anymore are they hard get?

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I just got one for $112, but it was hard to find at that price.

I think they're phasing the E1B out for the newer EB1T and EB1C.

I only got the E1B because it's cheaper and I don't feel as bad beating on it as an EDC light than my EB1T. The EB1T has a much better interface, it's way easier to use low mode (a push instead of click, wait, click with the E1B) which I use 99% of the time because I don't need to blind myself looking for my keys or whatever in the dark. The EB1C is basically the same light as the E1B (high mode first, low second, with clicks) but it is twice as bright when you need it to be, with a better beam IMO.

Craig K

Enlightened
I thought the older E1B was a way better light than the new EB1, doesn't the new EB1 have very poor regulation and problems?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had mine for 4 years approx and i carry it alot, i added the e2d TC and it is wearing the anno off in areas which i think it adds character..

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I thought the older E1B was a way better light than the new EB1, doesn't the new EB1 have very poor regulation and problems?

The "problems" are misunderstood design features.

The lack of regulation is due to their getting 200 (safe) lumens out of a single cell. When you are running straight from the batteries, there is no room for regulation. The EB1 starts brighter, then after a long time it is as dim as the E1B is with a fresh battery.

The "flickering", which only occures when rapidly pushing the button, is a design feature that was intended to allow the lights to be programmable. It shouldn't be a problem, unless you use your light for morse code.

The EB1T is great, it's basically a scaled down LX2, all black, with a slightly floodier beam due to the frosty lense. The EB1T is definately superior to the E1B in every way possible, I own both and have used both enough. It seems like people stare at charts and forum posts for too long and lose track of what is really important.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
The EB1T is great, it's basically a scaled down LX2, all black, with a slightly floodier beam due to the frosty lense. The EB1T is definately superior to the E1B in every way possible, I own both and have used both enough. It seems like people stare at charts and forum posts for too long and lose track of what is really important.

Ive had e2dl for a while. Got the eb1t for valentines. Haven't used the defender hardly at all since. I read all the posts and charts like mentioned above, mournfully because I've been wanting the eb1 since it was in the last years catalog. When I finally got it and used it, the disappointments from reading 800 posts about the light being so bad disappeared. Glad I got it.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Ive had e2dl for a while. Got the eb1t for valentines. Haven't used the defender hardly at all since. I read all the posts and charts like mentioned above, mournfully because I've been wanting the eb1 since it was in the last years catalog. When I finally got it and used it, the disappointments from reading 800 posts about the light being so bad disappeared. Glad I got it.

That 800 post thread is a perfect example of what happens when a few negative people feed on eachother, and it snowballs into something way bigger than it should. I wonder how many people who contributed to that hit piece of a thread actually used the light in question?

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
I too read the 800+ post thread while looking for a light that could be filled by the EB1T. That monster thread almost convinced me that the EB1T would not be for me. Well, I got mine 4 days ago and I am just loving it. So glad I didn't buy into all that negativity in the thread. From what I could tell, there was only 1 detractor in that thread that had actually owned the EB1. All the others had either 'tried it for a few minutes' or were judging by the scarce real info about the light.

Great light.

ThumperACC

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the EB1 is not without possible areas of critique for perfectionists. Sure, it can be shorter, but then a different body would be needed for the EB1T than the EB1C, since the clickie version could use E1B bodies but seems like the L1-style tailcap necessitated the longer body and tailcap. Surefire is a profit oriented business, there is no reason why they would change tooling to a different body when it's already set up for all the E1x lights, unless there is a need for a different body.

Sure the regulation can be flatter, but absent of a better choice we just have to settle, for now.

In the long run the EB1 will be just another step on the evolution of lights. But for now it's as good as it gets in its niche. Unless of course someone resurrects the myth of the 280 lumen flat regulation 2-level M30.:p

BTW after using it for over two months now, the Eb1 clicky's tail cap is the one of the best clickie I have used, better than any of the three E1B tailcaps I've.

Everyone is nostalgic about the E1B, but just looking at the three E1B's I've accumulated over the years, I recall they were plagued with beam artifacts and tint inconsistencies. My first(and only) EB1 has a great warm-ish tint and perfect beam. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe the EB1 is an honest improvement on the original. :dunno:

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
I think the EB1 is a little bit too long for a 1xCR123 light where as the E1B is a little shorter.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I love my E1B's, but that is not going to stop me from picking up a tan EB1 clicky when they come out if I can find one at a decent price! From the pics, they look like they might be a little big for pocket carry at work, but they seem like fun little throwers!

Of course, if Surefire ever gets around to putting out the DM2, I would pick up several!