Caution about the MS Q824145/K824145 update

Tomas

Banned
There's a recent MS "Critical Update" that you MIGHT want to wait to install, folks, especially if you use MSIE 6.0: The Q824145/K824145 "update."

MSIE 6.0 problems include text highlighting errors and weird "double scrolling" problems where it appears some stuff scrolls up and some down all at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

There's a link to more info in the article above.

T_sig6.gif

Tomas

Banned
Sorry, Ryan, I got it posted here as soon as I noticed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I actually hadn't even noticed that the MS patch had come out until I saw a post about the problems.

While I was poking about, I ran into this other article dealing with Microsoft: Profit Margin. Kinda hard to believe them if they say they can't afford to do it right, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

I think one of the discussions in the Google link of the first article had some stuff dealing with sucking that 'update' back out until MS gets it fixed.

Good luck.
T_sig6.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah it was just a coincidence that i'd just ran into problems less than an hour b4 reading *lol*

those are some large numbers to be reflecting this service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

problem taken care of now tho since you posted this. thank you sir.

and might i add, damn the internet!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed the KB824145 version (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1) of this update on the 11th and notice no strange behavior when running Mozilla 1.3. Also, no problems with IE 6.0 the few times I have run it since then.

Paul

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother recently installed it on his PC. Said all kinds of weird stuff was happening. He also said it really slowed his computer down. After I talked to him, I am waiting to see what happens.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, everything downloads automatically here...so it's probably been done by now. Never use IE anyway (Other than dabs.com and a couple of others that refuse to co operate with Opera properly), so I doubt it'll cause any problems here...there'll probably be a patch out to fix the patch at some point!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason my unit will not download that update. It blocks a portion of the download every time, I guess I need to thank my puter for having good taste.LOL

Tomas

Banned
Zelandeth, on my 'puters I have them do automatic checks to see if there is anything they think they need, but all they are allowed to do is to let me know. None of them are authorized to willy-nilly go out and download and install ANYTHING - even if it's from my computer manufacturer.

When they let me know they want something, I do a check in several places to see what experience has been with that update (usually over at least a week) before I let any of my machines download it. This comes from having jobs that depended on 'computers as tools' for over a quarter century.

I've seen what jumping on an update too early can do to a business.

When I was working in the Bell System one or our high-level managers had our computer folks cut us over to a new release on a weekend. When we showed up Monday, the primary application for all 219 workstations our engineering department used wouldn't run.

The recovery took us nearly a week. That's a week with over two hundred engineers not accomplishing anything. The people depending on us were NOT amused.

Later, when I had my own business, the 6 computers and one server were controlled very tightly because the company would likely not have survived if they all went down. There were nightly backups, of course, but even with that, trying to recover from a computer disaster (and the loss of productivity) could have been very damaging.

BTW, I just moved one of my personal 'puters to a new OS release (OS X 10.3.1) now that it has proved to be compatible with my primary applications, etc. The two others, though, are still running 10.2.6 and 9.2.1.

I run a happy LAN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind me asking (unless this is called thread-jacking?) Should I consider Opera or another browser? I'm beginning to hate Microsoft's junk. Are the other browsers as safe?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try safer, CanadianGuy. I still use Mozilla 1.3 and have no problems. I tend to avoid the IE only websites. I also use Mozilla Messenger for my email, and I do that in Mandrake Linux to avoid certain problems. Any pics just get placed in the pictures areas which is on a fat32 partition.

Tomas

Banned
Depending on your OS there are a number of browsers safer than MSIE IMHO. I use four on my systems.

In order of preference (on a Mac): Camino (Mozilla based), Safari, iCab, and Opera. There are equivalents for most OS's.

Just for interest, here's an e-mail response I just got back from the city-owned utility I get my electricity from. In it I mention my two primary browsers. The manager of the IT section in charge of the city's web sites obviously understood my argument quite well, and responded quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xxxxxx Public Utilities e-mail.

Their Utilities site (water, sewer, power, cable) was fixed shortly after they sent me this e-mail, and now no longer does any browser checks ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact, I just paid my power bill on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(There was another thread recently about commercial site design here on CPF, too.)

T_sig6.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
Great letter and response. But more XXX than I've ever seen anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What the heck were they using flash for?

Mutech

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of our suppliers at work has a web-site that is *entirely* Flash, not one little bit of plain HTML asides the lone page you get when you don`t have Flash, that tells you to go get it or else. I have long intended to have a good moan at them about this. There isn`t anything on there that needs Flash, it`s just a commercial site of product info and PDF data-sheets. I can only wonder how many potential customers have been driven away elsewhere because they couldn`t, or wouldn`t get in. It`s like the few places you might meet who post data sheets in MS Word format. No thought for the rest of the world.

Flash is fun, but please don`t use it for your whole site, that`s just stupid. My popup blocker keeps it disabled here unless I tell it otherwise. It runs too slow.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tomas

Banned
Mutiny, the city uses Flash (and mountains of Javascript) for just about everything. Makes for a "pretty" site, but functionally could be a disaster for many. (They pulled it off well, and it works great on three of my browsers, but on one of 'em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif )

Since it is a tax-supported site for access to various city functions by residents (and others), my take on it is that the primary need is for universal access, NOT winning design awards for "pretty." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was rather surprised that the IT manager understood and agreed so readily. I need to drop him a note of thanks!

Uh, no harm in disclosing the two websites - I just got carried away with the XXX's I guess. (Didn't want to expose the e-mail addresses is all.)

Tacoma Public Utilities Site

City of Tacoma Site

Wow!

I just checked those two links and not only have they dropped the browser checks on the TPU site, now they've even added an HTML link to an alternative HTML version on the Flash default page for the city!!! Those guys are QUICK! (And damn good, too. No errors that I can find!)

DEFINATELY need to drop him a note. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif