Upgrading Hartenberger

ploef

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm gonna buy a Hartenberger Wrack Maxi 30 or 50w halogen.
The battery pack is a 12X1.2V 3600mah in series. I'd like to upgrade it to a powerful light ( around 2000 lumens ) with at least 3 hour light time.
But honestly I'm lost between all these LED. What should I buy?

Thanks ;-)

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Last edited:

ploef

Newly Enlightened
Great light indeed but due to transition to Tek diving, I need something more powerful with 3 of 4 hour length of light...
Btw, thanks ;-)

lucca brassi

Enlightened
ups I give you wrong links ( i have just seen 10W HID )

reflector http://dx.com/p/53mm-37mm-aluminum-...nd-accessories-for-5-cree-xr-e-emitters-18842

use some small leds like cree XP-G2 http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...XP-G-S2-auf-Star-Platine-LT-1876_120_138.html in series

driver some 1500mA / 12V http://pcb-components.de/index.php?...category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

you get some powerful hotspot with nice corona 5/450 lm max= 2250 lm +/-

better and you save batteries using original tank
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

ploef

Newly Enlightened

Epsilon

Enlightened
I Presume you will want to use it for diving? Otherwise it may not be the best choice to buy in the first place.

First things first: You want 3hours of lighting capabilities. The battery is 12v*3.6Ah= 43.2Wh. 43.2Wh / 3h = 14.4W of maximum load to achieve the 3h runtime.

A collegue of mine has a simalar light and he wanted to upgrade it aswell, so I advised him the following:
3* XM-L with a 3A taskled driver, because he wanted different brightness levels (this needs a momentary switch though, which I doubt your light will have). This way, you can have the brightness you want (2500lumens OTF) and the runtime you want (up to days on the lowest setting).

If you do not want different levels, but a set brightness: you should find a suitable driver which delivers the right amount of current.

The 4* XP-G board you saw, is OK, but this can not be run with a buck driver on the 12v battery. You should stick with a maximum of 3*XP-G or 3*XM-L.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
The battery pack is a 12X1.2V 3600mah in series.
and buck driver have drop of 1V ; it could just fit in , but right some low drop linear driver or sepic would be fine too.

Epsilon

Enlightened
You are right indeed, Misread it. 14.4v is still on the low side for 4 LEDs though. Very few buck drivers are working efficiently at 1v drop too. A linear driver like the taskled LFlex will work great if you have a momentary switch. 12*1.4v= 16.8v fully charged, so you will be alright there.