Streamlight 3 AAAA to 2 AAAA?

murphys_law

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever mod a Streamlight 3 AAAA to 2 AAAA? They used to make to 2 AAAA, which became discontinued around 2005. I have yet to find any around. I have seen a couple on the "list your lights" thread. I actually have the Streamlight 2 AAAA, its called Stylus 2. Unfortunately the 2 AAAA batteries became badly corroded and had to be drilled out. I contacted streamlight via e-mail to their customer service, but they referred me to their battery policy (ie. we aint gonna fix it.) The reason I prefer the 2 to the 3 cell light is simply that it is shorter in overall length by, you guessed it, the length of a AAAA battery. My intended use for this small light is a stimulus for DUI testing. The light does not have to be overly bright and it will only be on for a few minutes at a time. I prefer the AAAA size due to the fact that it can actually fit in my breast uniform pocket with addition to an actual pen for writing. Anyone here on the forum ever cut down a 3 AAAA streamlight stylus to a 2 AAAA stylus? I'm new to the forum, thanks!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan,

I sent you an Email about the stylus. I made a "dummy cell" for the 3AAAA last night and I see how it would be useful for your usage, just enough light without blinding the individual. Search "human lathe" to get an idea on how to shorten it. The Stylus is very thin so it WILL prove to be difficult to accomplish.

Jamie

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here on the forum ever cut down a 3 AAAA streamlight stylus to a 2 AAAA stylus? I'm new to the forum, thanks!

They have now.

I used the "human lathe" method, very challenging on this thin walled light but there was just enough to lap it. It has a 4mm overlap and it's epoxied together with Arctic Alumina (that's all I had) The pocket clip covers it up pretty well for the most part and it feels solid.

I'll try my best to get it in the mail tomorrow for you.

murphys_law

Newly Enlightened
The stylus works great and it fits in a uniform breast pen pocket in addition with an actual writing pen! It provides enough light for my needs (administering a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test) part of the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. The stimulus is bright enough to be seen at night, without being too bright to blind someone.