SST90 and XML driver

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
as I said before, I am want to make my first modified flashlight mod- Maglite 3D mod. Sorry for asking so many questions,but it's my first maglite mod project, and I haven't any technical or electronic knowledge...
I'm still not sure what going to be the concept of the mod, and I have several ideas- XML U2 maglite 3D mod, triple XML maglite 3D mod,or SST90 maglite mod. anyway (it doesn't matter what going to be the Led) I will use 3*18650 batteries with Appropriate sleeve.
I have several questions,so please help me:
1. do you know where can I buy a good XML driver,with max output of at least 13V (for use with 3*18650 batteries) I prefer a true 3A driver (I want the flashlight to be bright as possible), and I prefer that the flashlight will come always on high (or a driver with tactical UI,as strobe mod and modes memory). can you give me links for Appropriate driver?
2.can someone give me a link for a good SST90 driver? also with max output of at least 13V (for use with 3*18650 batteries) I prefer a true 9A driver (I want the flashlight to be bright as possible), and I prefer that the flashlight will come always on high (or a driver with tactical UI,as strobe mod and modes memory). I can't find in DX and ebay any SST90 driver which fit my requirements.
3. I found in DX and Ebay many SST90 leds in very cheap price,about 25$. is it original SST90 led or a fake? because the price is very good,but I'm not sure it's real SST90...
thanks advance and have a nice day... :thumbsup:

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
as I said before, I am want to make my first modified flashlight mod- Maglite 3D mod. Sorry for asking so many questions,but it's my first maglite mod project, and I haven't any technical or electronic knowledge...
I'm still not sure what going to be the concept of the mod, and I have several ideas- XML U2 maglite 3D mod, triple XML maglite 3D mod,or SST90 maglite mod. anyway (it doesn't matter what going to be the Led) I will use 3*18650 batteries with Appropriate sleeve.
I have several questions,so please help me:
1. do you know where can I buy a good XML driver,with max output of at least 13V (for use with 3*18650 batteries) I prefer a true 3A driver (I want the flashlight to be bright as possible), and I prefer that the flashlight will come always on high (or a driver with tactical UI,as strobe mod and modes memory). can you give me links for Appropriate driver?
2.can someone give me a link for a good SST90 driver? also with max output of at least 13V (for use with 3*18650 batteries) I prefer a true 9A driver (I want the flashlight to be bright as possible), and I prefer that the flashlight will come always on high (or a driver with tactical UI,as strobe mod and modes memory). I can't find in DX and ebay any SST90 driver which fit my requirements.
3. I found in DX and Ebay many SST90 leds in very cheap price,about 25$. is it original SST90 led or a fake? because the price is very good,but I'm not sure it's real SST90...
thanks advance and have a nice day... :thumbsup:

help somebody? please... :twothumbs

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi MT7,

Congratulations on starting your first mod :twothumbs.

The SST-90 emitters you pick up on ebay or any of the china websites are all going to be "real", they just may not be top bin ( even though most will be labeled that way).

For a single SST-90 powered by 3x 18650s at max brightness here is the driver that comes to my mind.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...icient-5A-9A-Buck-Converter-for-SST-50-SST-90

Britelumens.com sells a very good SST-90 heat sink for maglite.

This will be one of the easiest mods and net you a very high output.

If you want to do the 3 XML on 3 x 18650s and have the light come on high first all the time with the hidden tactical modes low med blink this or that, the best driver is the taskled Lflex. Its linear and you can drive each emitter as high as 3500ma. However use of this driver is not easy. I normally dont even mention it to first time modders because you have to heat sink it, create a momentary switch and program the driver. However this board does meet all of the criteria you mentioned.

I hope this helps sir, good lux with your mod :)

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hi MT7,

Congratulations on starting your first mod :twothumbs.

The SST-90 emitters you pick up on ebay or any of the china websites are all going to be "real", they just may not be top bin ( even though most will be labeled that way).

For a single SST-90 powered by 3x 18650s at max brightness here is the driver that comes to my mind.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...icient-5A-9A-Buck-Converter-for-SST-50-SST-90

Britelumens.com sells a very good SST-90 heat sink for maglite.

This will be one of the easiest mods and net you a very high output.

If you want to do the 3 XML on 3 x 18650s and have the light come on high first all the time with the hidden tactical modes low med blink this or that, the best driver is the taskled Lflex. Its linear and you can drive each emitter as high as 3500ma. However use of this driver is not easy. I normally dont even mention it to first time modders because you have to heat sink it, create a momentary switch and program the driver. However this board does meet all of the criteria you mentioned.

I hope this helps sir, good lux with your mod :)

Thank you very much, but 35 Euro for the SST90 driver is too expensive for me,my budget for the driver is about 25$ max. do you know where can I get a cheaper driver?
and what about 3*18650 and 1*XML U2? can you give me links for Appropriate driver?
thanks advance and have a nice day...

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were not suppose to put direct links in this part of the forum to outside websites for some reason so you will have to do a search.

I have never used this board so I cant speak to the quality of it, but go to kaidomain.com and search.

6-15V, 9A Circuit Driver for Bike Light

That board should do your SST0-90 on 3 cells

Same website you can search

5.5V~12V 5-Mode Circuit Board for P7/MC-E Flashlight

This board would work for the XML. IT has 5 modes but the board will memorize the last mode used, so if you want it to come on in "high" the next time you use it just leave it in that mode when you turn it off.

A nice day to you as well....:thumbsup:

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
You could also do a master/slave mod with the cells in parallel using an inexpensive 7135 based driver. Some can be be set to HML w/wo memory. That would work for either sst90(all outputs to one led) or 3 x XML (each output to a separate led). Each driver(master or slave) contributes the output of 8 - 7135 chips to the total amount of current in regulation so another method that requires a bit more soldering skill is to buy just the master driver and solder 16 more 7135 chips onto it(2 onto each existing chip). The additional chips can be had for much less than the cost of two more driver boards so the whole setup can be done for under $15. The "hidden cost" is in the learning curve of modding. If you plan on doing more of it then jump in and have a go at it but be advised, you are quite likely to get frustrated, addicted, and poor.