Help with a new flashlight decision

Minimalist_

Newly Enlightened
I'm a noob when it comes to this so I was hoping I could get some input on how to make an informed decision. I'm debating whether I should buy a Surefire E2D or a Fenix PD32UE. I understand the basics but the price point is pretty far apart so I'm curious what you guys would think about both and where you'd lean.

Minimalist_

Newly Enlightened
I don't own the PD32UE, but I have the regular PD32 and it's just awesome! Really nice light that has replaced both my PD20 and QT2L for EDC.

What I don't get is why it's so much cheaper than the E2D when it has much better specs.

cerbie

Enlightened
PD32UE v. LX2 (similar price to E2D): LX2 by a mile (just get a diffuser for near use).

PD32UE v. E2D: the E2D will be more comfortable to hold, and the anodizing will probably survive longer. May as well get the Fenix, unless you plan to severely abuse it.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a point of interest, I really hate that Fenix makes their clips with such large bent sections for when attaching the clip. I ground mine off and then polished it so it fits flush with the body. Makes it much more comfortable to hold. Did this to all my Fenix clips except on the PD20.

JCD

Enlightened
What I don't get is why it's so much cheaper than the E2D when it has much better specs.

Higher quality commands higher prices.

I own a Fenix PD30, and owned a P3D before I gave it away. While both are of generally good quality, both had machining flaws. In particular, the cavity of the battery tube is not centered in either, so the wall thickness is different from one side of the light to the other. None of my Surefire lights (I have about a dozen of them) have any such structural flaws. (To be fair, the anodizing of the bezel, body, and tailcap often do not match on SF lights.)

Minimalist_

Newly Enlightened
Higher quality commands higher prices.

I own a Fenix PD30, and owned a P3D before I gave it away. While both are of generally good quality, both had machining flaws. In particular, the cavity of the battery tube is not centered in either, so the wall thickness is different from one side of the light to the other. None of my Surefire lights (I have about a dozen of them) have any such structural flaws. (To be fair, the anodizing of the bezel, body, and tailcap often do not match on SF lights.)

That still doesn't sound like there is much of a difference in quality to justify almost $100 especially when the Fenix has much better specs.

JCD

Enlightened
That still doesn't sound like there is much of a difference in quality to justify almost $100 especially when the Fenix has much better specs.

The difference in quality is indeed quite large.

My Surefires are far more durable than my Fenix by design, i.e. far better anodizing (with respect to wear resistance, not coloring), better threads, thicker walled aluminum. My surefire emitters & reflectors also provide superior beam quality. Compared to the E2D, the PD30 and P3D feel downright fragile. Carrying my PD30 in the back pocket (by itself) of fairly loose fitting jeans or side pocket of cargo shorts for a couple months was enough to cause noticeable wear to the anodizing. That shouldn't happen with Type III anodizing, especially if it is truly MilSpec. The MilSpec Type III anodizing of Surefires doesn't show wear like that when similarly given a dedicated pocket. Given the sloppy machining and the second rate finish, I have to wonder what other corners Fenix cut to keep their costs down.* The two companies simply have different standards when it comes to what constitutes good enough to send out the door branded with the company logo.

Fenix is a big step up from most cheap LED lights one might find in a discount department store, e.g., Walmart, but they're nowhere near the same league as Surefire.

You get what you pay for. How much quality do you want/need? If all I ever did was hunt white walls to show off gimmicky features, the Fenix would probably be my favorite torch, because it does have better specs on paper. For real world use, however, I'm just not confident that it will always work when needed. Maybe it will, but I don't trust it to.

*I also tried a couple Fenix bike mounts, and found them to be a poorly engineered, rattly pieces of junk, which didn't improve my perception of Fenix quality any.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have a few Fenix lights but no PD32, I also have a few Surefires, among these a E2DL.

If you are used to the lights most people have and can get at the warehouse for $ 5 - 20, the Fenix is a bit expensive and a very good quality light.

I have not had any problems with either Fenix or Surefire but the Surefires feels higher quality and have a lifetime warranty.

For professional use with demands on (very) high reliability I would say go for Surefire.
Otherwise I think Fenix is just fine and good enough quality.

The E2DL has a TIR optic that gives it a very good throw but for close up range I don't like it, then I think a reflektor light is better (whatever brand).

They have different specs.
Maybe not so much the max output but different numbers of levels, different UI, different battery requirements would for me be the strongest deciding factors.

About the price difference the Surefire is made in USA, higher quality, better warranty so I think the price difference is fair.

Oh, the strikebezel on the E2DL - do you want that? Some people love it.
For me it just made the light impossible to pocket carry and I ground it of.

ico

Enlightened
If you have anymore questions about the price differential, just try and browse all the other "SF vs this and that brand" and i'm sure most if not all of your future questions would have already been asked and answered. It boils down to preference. Buy what you really want and can. Best if you can try them hands on to get a feel. There is always the marketplace if you don't like what you get.