Why not an L4 but A2 style?

zorba

Enlightened
Why doesnt surefire make an L4, but with the A2 style bezel ie one bright led in the center and three smaller ones around it that are activated like the way the A2 works.
Any hints?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think if the 5w luxeons had been mature at the time they designed the A2, they might have simply produced a two-stage 5w light in place of the A2. at the time the A2 was released the only way you were getting the amount of light that the A2 produced was with an incandescent source. i do hope surefire releases a two-stage L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think we can count on SureFire to integrate new technology in new designs. We will unfortunately need to wait to see in what form such results are rendered. Unlike some of us, they don't build a prototype today and post about it tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A two stage L4 would be the next step and awesome. The only thing the L4 lacks IMO.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2 hit it right, I've been edc/testing my ikroll for sometime now. Anymore than 5 levels of brightness setting is too much for daily use. Originally I code it for 10 levels, I guess it was more of a 'fun' mode to have 10 levels. Less is sometimes better, less annoying to use. IMHO anyway.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I use my A2 all the time, and I'm specifically holding off on the L4 to wait for a two-stage 5W "L2" light. Maybe it will be a drop-in head for the A2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am lookinng forward to a multi level Luxeon light as well (beyond the L1) but it won't have two things that the A2 offers.

1) spot on High and flood on low
2) the regulated incan of the A2 provides full spectrum light that LED's simply can't at this point in time. If you need to illuminate a distant target that has reds in it, the A2 will out perform any LED light source.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I am lookinng forward to a multi level Luxeon light as well (beyond the L1) but it won't have two things that the A2 offers.

1) spot on High and flood on low
2) the regulated incan of the A2 provides full spectrum light that LED's simply can't at this point in time. If you need to illuminate a distant target that has reds in it, the A2 will out perform any LED light source.

[/ QUOTE ]
3) Available today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
Or how about a 3 stage L4 with only current 5W luxeon LED? First click, low long burn time, second click, current 65 lumens, third click overdrive powerboast full output of 5w for short bursts before reverting to level 2 because of heat. Current L4 don't think is at full 5W, is it? My SF L4 and SF M6 are now my favorite torches.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the LED flood + Incan throw. It seems to me that my A2 throws farther than my E2e, less lumens but I think the reflector is a little bit bigger.

BTW, anyone know what holster fits the A2?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, I might just get the Surefire V20 its $11 shipped at LPS. But I want to try something mounted horizontally, anyone know if the County Comm x5 holster will work with the A2?