Can the Fenix MC11 hold up to daily use?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
As a appliance repair technician by trade I use a flashlight often every day at work.

I just ordered a Fenix MC11 angle light and I'm wondering how they make the connection between the battery and head of the flashlight.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=146

Is it just a couple wires that are being bent back and forth every time the head gets tilted?

Can any other MC11 owners share their experience they have had with the light?

Will the MC11 be able to hold up to heavy daily use as a work light for me?

Thanks,

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Thanks all the same, but that is way to big for me. I would have to get a bigger toolbox if I wanted to carry that around with me all day, lol...

Most all my toolbox lights have been 1xAA or 2xAA type flashlights. Anything I light up that I'm working on is pretty much just a arms length away too.

Do you have any experience with the MC11 or just the Knucklehead?

Thanks,

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any experience with Fenix products. Just thought that the Knucklehead's magnet would be handy for sticking the light onto the side of a refrigerator or washer... ;)

appliancejunk

Enlightened
A magnet maybe handy. Seen the knock off on ebay of the MC11 and it had a magnetic battery cover.
Would be cool if they made a smaller version of the Knucklehead. Half the size, 2xAA.

With the size of the MC11 I'm thinking of many other uses for it other then work too.

Thought I would see how one works out first and if I'm always stealing it out of my toolbox for other things like camping, fishing, geocaching, etc... then I may have to get a few more.

Thanks for pointing out the Knucklehead though, I may end up with one someday anyway. ;)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often use a 1AA Energizer Romeo right angle flashlight when performing small repairs.

There are strong magnets embedded in the supplied pocket clip and you can rotate the clip 360 degrees permitting great flexibility in aiming the light. You can lay the Romeo on its side and use the clip as a "foot" and rotate the light upwards, too.

The Romeo provides only one brightness level.

energizer-romeo1.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A light that is really handy for that purpose is the Xtar Meteor. It has a very strong (500 lumen) FLOODY beam, so you don't need to "aim it" to see, the bounce lighting alone can fill a room. (It has lower settings too....)

Guys in the trades like them because they have a magnetic base, and they can tail stand....less than 3" long, and also have a chain and lobster claw, so you can hang them like a chandelier too, etc.

I think they're less than $25 delivered from MD-Lightsource (On sale with CPF discount) over on CPFM next door.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
lol... thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I was not asking for light suggestions as I already ordered the MC11.

I was looking to hear from other MC11 owners how they hold up over time.

The Energizer Romeo looks interesting, but cheap. Not that the MC11 maybe any better, I don't know yet.

That Xtar Meteor does not interest me, sorry. Anyway it's been interesting checking out everyones suggestions, but can I hear from some MC11 owners too?

Thanks,

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I love my MC11. Awesome looks, single AA battery, can tailstand, swivel head, multi-mode, comes w/ a diffuser, and it looks brighter than the advertised 81 lumens. I just wish it came w/ a holster and warmer or more neutral tint. As far as holding up to heavy duty work use, I'm sure it will be fine. I don't use mine for work because I don't want to damage this beauty!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the older version, the MC10. i dont use it much, but it does get tossed around in my tool desk.
ive modded mine, and added a piece of diffuser film to the lens.

i was worried that i compromised its reliability because i accidentally tore off one of the lead wires, and had to re-solder it back on.
so i rigorously swiveled the bezel back and forth, banged it against the desk, and dropped it from about 4 feet high a few times to test it.
its still working :crazy:

abhiram

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I own a Fenix MC11 (purchased 5 months back) and today I found that the head is broken where the clip attaches. I have never ever dropped this light and it is not my EDC or heavily used flashlight. When I did some research on internet, I have found that there are people who have experienced similar issues with MC11. I have contacted Fenix with the details and waiting for their response.

Hope this helps:

230320131310.jpg

230320131313.jpg

Regards,

Abhiram