Do you ever see a time when we have a silver boom where it exceeds gold prices?

Frijid

Enlightened
as of today, gold is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]$1578.30/oz and silver is [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]$28.85/oz .[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] i remember last summer it was around 36-40 dollars an ounce.

Do you ever see a day when both gold and silver become obsolete and practically worthless
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TEEJ

Flashaholic
as of today, gold is $1578.30/oz and silver is $28.85/oz . i remember last summer it was around 36-40 dollars an ounce.

Do you ever see a day when both gold and silver become obsolete and practically worthless

NO

jtr1962

Flashaholic

If we can inexpensively mine asteroids, gold and silver will drop in price dramatically, but not to the point of worthlessness. Remember the point of mining asteroids isn't for precious metals, but for materials to construct space stations and space ships with. Everything else is just a by product. The trace amounts of other metals in iron asteroids will still be enough to depress prices if we mine enough asteroids.

Another interesting factoid is the core of the Earth probably contains enough gold to coat the surface in a layer a few feet thick. This is actually the reason gold is relatively rare on the surface-it's heavier than nearly everything else and sank near the core. If we could magically access all of this gold, then I would think it would be close to worthless as there would be enough gold for everyone to have a few hundred thousand tons of the stuff. We would probably be making heat sinks and electrical cables out of it.

If we can ever inexpensive transmute elements, gold (and every other element) will be worth no more than common dirt. I doubt that will happen, but I do foresee us eventually mining enough gold in space to depress prices substantially, perhaps to tens of dollars an ounce or even less.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not both gold and silver becoming almost worthless at the same time, but just back in the late 90's silver was down to $4-something an ounce. At one point in the 70's I believe, it was up to at least $50 an ounce, but then supposedly this wealthy oil guy dumped a bunch of silver onto the market(from what I read), and it caused the silver prices to plummet. I was just looking into silver a few days ago and it was mentioned that silver had been up to the mid to high $40 range not to many months ago, but then the gov't did something that artificially caused the prices to drop way back to the $29-ish range per ounce. The moral of the story, is that apparently(for some reason), silver is prone to the wild ups and downs occasionally. I dont know of too many other common precious metals that plummet at times like silver has, but then again, I havent watched charts back further than a few decades.

I remember back in the 90's, I was trying to convince my family that silver MUST go up in price again at some point, as it was really low at that time($4.70 or so), but after looking at the charts over the past 20 years, they were hesitant, besides, at that time you could reliably invest in safe mutual funds that paid 12-15% annual rates, so they werent interested at that time. So we didnt do it.

Whats even more interesting to watch is the PGM's(platinum group metals). They are almost always found together in ores, and are difficult to separate. They consist of 1. Platinum, 2. Palladium, 3. Rhodium, 4. Ruthenium, 5. Osmium, 6. Iridium

^The PGM's are far more rare than silver, and most if not all of them are much more rare than gold. I looked into the PGM charts over 10-15 years back in around 2002, and at that time Rhodium had gone from a high of around $3,000+ down to about $250 an ounce. That to me seemed like a no-brainer investment in 2002. Well, sure enough, in just 4-5 years Rhodium was back up above $5,000 an ounce!

But its not just Rhodium thats all over the place, the PGM charts over the last 2 ten year periods look like radio frequency graphs, with each PGM replacing another one as the most or least expensive! They can be all over the place. But back in 2002, I believe Palladium was the cheapest, or one of the cheapest, at not much more than $100/oz, but now its up to around $700 or so too.

As of now, the PGM's are crucial to helping cleanse the environment because they are catalysts used in catalytic converters and other anti-pollution devices. That and there isnt exactly a huge supply of them. The only downside is that a few PGM's are the most dense(heaviest) metals/elements on the entire periodic table, with Osmium and Iridium battling it out as the heavist... So an oz. of Osmium will look much smaller than an oz. of silver for instance.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
I'm not gonna take to big of a chance, the only silver i have it coins i've gotten back in change like silver dime and such. i've gotten a few 50 cent pieces with silver in them i got at the bank for face value! can't beat that.

copper is $3.51 a pound. meaning that a penny made before 1982 is worth a little bit more than 2 cents a piece just from the copper in them. i've seen a lot of people on youtube videos who have stockpile of pennies in their house in case the penny would ever get melted down they could make a small fortune off of the copper in it.