how does the paypal conversion work UK to US and US to UK refund?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does the paypal conversion work UK to US and US to UK refund?

hi there,
buying from the UK, i recently purchased a flashlight at a US store, and before I paid, it obviously converted the rates. i think $62.51USD became some £42.90 or so and that was taken from my paypal account.

now, I have asked for a refund due to an issue, so what refunds back to me?. will they pay me back exactly what I paid, or do they too do the conversion fee changes, and it comes back to me less or more after that?.
do they pay the refund paypal charges, or does paypal deduct ?.

does that mean i lose out on both as a buyer and the refund?.
thanks.

i think the US total came to $62.51 maybe.
I paid £42.91 then via paypal.

thanks.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think it would be 62USD which should be the conversion rate of the date you made the payment.
It means you can lose some money if there's a lot of fluctuation but with these amounts it usually isn't more than a couple of bucks/quids at worse, probably not even that!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, here is the transaction;

Subtotal$62.51 USD
Total$62.51 USD
Payment$62.51 USD
Payment sent to ******
From amount£42.91 GBP
To amount$62.51 USD
Exchange rate: 1 British Pound = 1.45676US Dollars

TEEJ

Flashaholic
They should automatically run it in reverse, so they pay back the pounds you paid them....which then sends you the dollars you spent.

That's how I received PP refunds at least...its seamless and automatic.

IE: I paid in dollars, they received in pounds....they refunded those pounds, and I received dollars.

:D

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
You paid $62.51 (and were billed in pound at the then current exchange rate since you account is set up with pound) and will be refunded $62.51 which are converted to pound at the current exchange rate. So like the Labrador already mentioned, you might win or loose a few pence.

Eric

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be really surprised if you get 100% back. Banks make a lot of money on currency transaction fees, and paypal doesn't work for free. The only way is if the seller very gratiously covers all of these fees for you, and it isn't a small number.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
He doesn´t have to pay any fees if he´s getting a refund from the seller. The only variable is the exchange rate which determines the exact amount in pounds.

Eric

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks. refund on the way. will see how much comes back. yes, no fee taken on refund, just currency change.
thanks everyone.

He doesn´t have to pay any fees if he´s getting a refund from the seller. The only variable is the exchange rate which determines the exact amount in pounds.

Eric