Wonder how many under utilized/appreciated Surefire 6P are out there...

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happen to know alot of my friends who own a 6P or G2, which we bought during our days in the service.
And I am pretty sure most of the 6Ps are currently sitting in some quiet corner because the incan-bulbs are not very efficient & CR123A batteries are pretty expensive.

jaycyu

Enlightened
6P's can be bored to host 18650 rechargeable li-ons,
and in-can drop-ins can be replaced with 1000 lumen XML's.
Check out buy/sell/trade forum for the current trend.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
and modified like this
(+ possibly some updates, f.e. from oveready.com)
they are the workhorse of led light modding, atm

JCD

Enlightened
6P's can be bored to host 18650 rechargeable li-ons,
and in-can drop-ins can be replaced with 1000 lumen XML's.

I own a few unbored 6Ps, and use 17670 cells in most of the ones that have LED drop-ins.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
There's probably many, sleeping, waiting for the time of uprising and resurrection. :eek:oo:

The same reason there's probably also sizeable horde of Maglites waiting in the shadows. The fact that a friendly flashaholic could turn them into scorching hotwires or a wicked LED mods doesn't help the poor lights stored in the cupboards of a layman much since the owners aren't aware of the opportunities that lay before them. We should probably arrange a wronged flashlight anniversary day.
:candle:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replace the incan bulbs with Malkoff M61 variants. It's about the only upgrade that is as bulletproof or more than the light itself.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of days ago, I upgraded my SSgt's G2 with a Solarforce LC-XPG and swapped out the stock Nitrolon head with metal Z44. It's got a lot of bang for the buck.

Needless to say, he was impressed.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 6P because its form is more like a traditional flashlight. A bit more compact, when bored it works great with an 18650 + Malkoff dropin and can use an 2XAA battery extender if resources dictates.

It's my go to "Resident Evil" exploration light.

15d27u9.jpg

19av4m.jpg

The Oveready bored 6P with A19 extender and 2XAA barrel sleeve.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
I like the 6P because its form is more like a traditional flashlight. A bit more compact, when bored it works great with an 18650 + Malkoff dropin and can use an 2XAA battery extender if resources dictates.

It's my go to "Resident Evil" exploration light.

15d27u9.jpg

19av4m.jpg

The Oveready bored 6P with A19 extender and 2XAA barrel sleeve.

I'm pretty sure that isn't an under-appreciated 6P! (Very nice light, though.)

squid8286

Newly Enlightened
I have two that I am in the process of replacing with Furys on my ARs. I really like them though; I don't want to quit using them. They are the 65 lumens LED models. I just want to upgrade the bulb. Any suggestions?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two that I am in the process of replacing with Furys on my ARs. I really like them though; I don't want to quit using them. They are the 65 lumens LED models. I just want to upgrade the bulb. Any suggestions?

I'm sure others will chime in, but the Lumens Factory EO-6 is supposed to start out giving you 200 lumens of incan light. I'm guessing you would not be getting that output for the full ~40 minutes listed, but it definitely sounds brighter than the P60. I have no experience with it, but Lumens Factory typically gives you even better outputs than the original SF lamp assemblies. Lighthound.com is one place to look over their selection, although they are out of what I just listed.

If you want an led replacement, Malkoff and CPF's 'Nailbender' are good places to start.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine sat in a draw for a while before a Malkoff drop-in breathed new life into it. It was always a great light with my only complaint being the way it burnt through primaries with the incan bulb. Now it's no longer under utilized.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Fury's are not 'rated' for weapons use. Batteries for example, are not well protected from recoil.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fury's are not 'rated' for weapons use. Batteries for example, are not well protected from recoil.

Which is exactly why I'm left scratching my head with the "EAG Fury" endorsed by Pat Rogers. I just don't understand if it has springs, or is the same old single mode Fury we all know, which theoretically shouldn't be put on a firearm. Pat says that tens of thousands of rounds have been put through rifles with G2X and Furys and they have yet to experience a failure.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine sat in a draw for a while before a Malkoff drop-in breathed new life into it. It was always a great light with my only complaint being the way it burnt through primaries with the incan bulb. Now it's no longer under utilized.

Yeah, my G2 sat on my shelf for 3 years before I accidentally found something called a "LED dropin".
I've never looked back since. Hahaha..

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

TheVat26

Enlightened
My 6p is just sitting on the shelf. Was my backup light but the thing only runs for 30 minutes before the light isn't useful. Incan bulb. Bought a bayco tac 200 to carry instead. I kinda want to get a malkoff drop in since the 6p body is so well made. Guess I'm just looking for a smooth reflector for a drop in and the malkoffs I see on his site are op reflectors.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, seem like the Malkoff are really good for reviving all the old 6P.
Man, i really regret not getting the 6P when they were are available in my area.

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains