Sandwiches: Inretech 2AA vs Badboy 400mA

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So does anyone have any comparisons? I know the BadBoy 400 is very popular for a compromise between runtime and brightness, but how does the Inretech compare? The cost is quite a bit cheaper - $ 25 for the Inretech vs $ 40 for a BB400.

Is the BB400 62.5% better? The host will be a maglite or cheaper light.

unclearty

Enlightened
I own an Inretech and a Lambda pill. The inretech is nice, white and narrow beamed..however, the pill is extreme..it's white and wide..more flood like. I'm assuming that the sandwich is more like my pill. They're different. I use the pill outside at night..nice beam to walk with..the inretech is not...it's more pencil like.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on what you're looking for. The InRetech will slightly underdrive the LS and the BB400 will slightly over drive it. If you're looking for a long running survival/emergency light the Inretechs are hard to beat. If you want a brighter but shorter running light then go for the BB400. Or do like I did and buy both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

Darkaway

Enlightened
You'll need lithium batteries to extract maximum performance out of the Inretech, whereas the BB will run pretty well on anything you feed it.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sandwich will come with an NX-05 optic. That will result in a "semi-spot" that IMO, is a very practical utility beam for general use.

The BadBoy sandwich will come with a graded Luxeon. while the Inretech doesn't. However, you will probably will get a decent tint Luxeon, or you can exchange it.

Also, with the BadBoy you will be getting a "step-up" converter that will give brighter and more consistent light than the Inretech on just 2 ordinary alkaline (or NiMH) cells. The Inretech is "direct-drive"-with NO step-up circuitry).
The advantage of the Inretech would be a very long runtime. -Gradual tapering of output.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Oh - i didn't know the Inretech wasn't a step-up. That justifies the higher price of the BB i think.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got at least 6 of Wayne's modules and love them. I would recommend that you do get a premium (Q) and would also suggest that you consider the MM. The MM wide open Q is now on sale for $39.

I have MM, MM+, BB400, & BB500. The BB runs pretty much perfectly flat, so you have the advantage of consistant brightness, but you sacrifice a little run time.

The MM has more of a curve, so the brightness isn't as consistant, but will run longer and use much more of the available energy in your cells. It also gives you the advantage of running it with only one cell. The MM isn't as bright as the MM+, but for general use it's plenty bright and much longer run time.

If I could only have one, I'd choose the MM premium. My second choice would be the BB400 Premium.

In the CPF spirit, get both. After you get one, you WILL get another one.

Another recommendation would be for a host - if you have to buy one, then I recommend a Brinkmann Legend 2AA. Very nicely built light and comes with a tail switch (that alone will save you $4.50 for a Kroll), batteries and holster. REI has them for $10. And the other great thing about it is that it isn't a Mag.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So can i drop a MadMax in a 1-cell light like the Ultra-G? What would it take to get the light to accept the module? Does it have to have a bulb of a certain type?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:So can i drop a MadMax in a 1-cell light like the Ultra-G? What would it take to get the light to accept the module? Does it have to have a bulb of a certain type?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Madmax does for the Luxeon LED what the circuitry in the Ultra-G's does for the little 5mm LED.
I.E. the Madmax pill will operate LEDs needing 3 volts+ [like Luxeon white, green, blue, cyan etc.] from just a single 1.2V rechargeable or an ordinary 1.5V alkaline battery.-until the battery voltage goes down to approx.>.8v

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
Does Brinkmann make a 1 cell AA flashlight? Can you say......MadMax? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't think so, but anything can be modded! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
The Madmax does for the Luxeon LED what the circuitry in the Ultra-G's does for the little 5mm LED.
I.E. the Madmax pill will operate LEDs needing 3 volts+ [like Luxeon white, green, blue, cyan etc.] from just a single 1.2V rechargeable or an ordinary 1.5V alkaline battery.-until the battery voltage goes down to approx.>.8v

[/ QUOTE ]
So if i understand this correctly, the Madmax is for single-cell operation, while the BB is for two-cell operation?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:The Madmax does for the Luxeon LED what the circuitry in the Ultra-G's does for the little 5mm LED. I.E. the Madmax pill will operate LEDs needing 3 volts+ [like Luxeon white, green, blue, cyan etc.] from just a single 1.2V rechargeable or an ordinary 1.5V alkaline battery.-until the battery voltage goes down to approx.>.8v

[/ QUOTE ]So if i understand this correctly, the Madmax is for single-cell operation, while the BB is for two-cell operation?

[/ QUOTE ]That's essentially correct. The Badboy will refuse to operate below 1.6V .-So to appreciate it's virtues (flat, uniform output) it is designed to be run with at least 2 cells.

Zeppert

Enlightened
Mark Larson, The MadMax IS designed for 2 cell (3V) operation BUT can be run off just 1 cell, with reduced output of course.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Woah up there!

The MadMax and the BadBoy were BOTH designed to work with two AA batteries. It just happens that the MadMax will ALSO work with reduced output on one AA battery! This was discovered when we tried a MadMax in the Micro MiniMag. Check the MMM threads for the discussion on using the MadMax on one AA.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Thanks Roy. I finally found the thread. Impressive stuff. I'm now hooked on the idea of 3V AA Lithiums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was remiss in mentioning the Madmax operation with two cells. That works just fine and is fiendishly bright--especially with the MMX+.

I find operation on 1 cell adequate for casual use though. My Madmax+ lives in a miniminimag.