New Fenix LD12G2 come in a box instead of a blister pack.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Did not know if my new LD12G2 would show up in a blister pack or a box after hearing Fenix has started using blister packs.

Well today I found out it come in a box.

ld12g2_box_front.jpg

ld12g2_box_back.jpg

Not sure it would matter one way or the other to me, but wanted to share anyway. :)

appliancejunk

Enlightened
If I had a choice I would pick a box, but it would not be a deal breaker for me if a flashlight I wanted only come in a blister pack.

Swede74

Enlightened
If you order online and get your flashlight in the mail you know that it hasn't been opened / tampered with if it comes in a blister pack. Conversely, if you buy it at the store you can't open the packaging and examine the light (or ask the store staff to do it) so in that case, an unsealed box is better.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
How's the tint on the XP-G2?

Well to start with I'm no tint expert. I always think the current model light I have looks awesome until I get the new version and compare the two side by side, lol...

Comparing it to my LD12S2 the hot spot is a little bigger, more defined and whiter then the S2. Not only is the G2 whiter, but the hot spot is a nice and even white from the middle to the outer edge of the hot spot, it all looks to be the same color of light. With my old S2 version the hot spot is kind of a crapy cream yellow/brown center and gets whiter toward the outer edge of the hot spot. Sorry I can not explain it better.

Still burning daylight here so once it's dark out I will be testing it out more for throw, but I'm very happy with it comparing it side by side to my S2 version.

Of coarse like I said most new model looks awesome to me until the next model come out, lol...

appliancejunk

Enlightened
If you order online and get your flashlight in the mail you know that it hasn't been opened / tampered with if it comes in a blister pack. Conversely, if you buy it at the store you can't open the packaging and examine the light (or ask the store staff to do it) so in that case, an unsealed box is better.

True, guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Ordering online from a reputable Fenix dealer makes me less likely to worry about if it's been tampered with then if I would buy it from the average joe on ebay.

markr6

Flashaholic
Good info here so far. I'm interested in these G2 models. I would like to get back into an LD12 and LD22 since I sold my XP-G R5 models...way too blue. I'm afraid they'll be pretty close, but want to see it for myself.

appliancejunk - if you could get a side by side photo on a white wall that would be great! If not, no sweat...I'm sure we'll start seeing some youtube videos and reviews soon.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
I got a boxed LD12 G2 as well today. I am very impressed with Fenix's G2 lights so far. I already had a PD22 G2 (carded with battery from REI) that replaced the S2 version, which I gave away for having such a horrible tint. Both it and the LD12 have great tints and perfect hot spots.

I am tempted to get the PD32 G2 even though I have the Ultimate Edition!

markr6

Flashaholic
I am tempted to get the PD32 G2 even though I have the Ultimate Edition!

I almost want to just to compare the tints and hotspot. The G2 looks larger than the original, but not as big as the PD32UE? Just guessing; I'm sure we'll see some more comparisons soon.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I am debating between purchasing a LD12 with XPG R5 or a LD12 with the newer XPG2; I found some sources for the XPG R5 version.

'appliancejunk' in post #6 in this thread and in post #11 in another thread (link) reported the advantages he sees in the XPG2 model over the XPG model in particular the larger hotspot and brighter spill of the XPG2 model. I realize that 'appliancejunk' is making comparisons between the XPG2 and S2 versions of the LD12, but I assume the differences would exist in a comparison between the XPG2 and XPG R5 versions of the LD12.

Furthermore, an individual in post #3 of another thread (link) made this comment about the XPG model: "On low the beam is ok for walking on the sidewalk and seeing where you are going. The light hotspot is a bit much for any more than low mode, for close in work." Close in work is likely how the LD12 would primarily be used by my family with us defining "close in" as no closer than 18 to 24 inches; so this comment by this individual concerns me if I chose the XPG model over the XPG2 model. Also, I found photo comparison the hotspots of the LD12 XPG R5 and the Fenix LD15 XPG R4 in post #8 of another thread (link). The LD12 XPG R5 hotspot looks like it is half the size of the LD15 hotspot -- that is a pretty tight hotspot, then, isn't it.

But on the other hand, I am concerned about the reports of detectable PWM in the XPG2 version in another thread (link). While the comments seem to universally say the PWM is detectable just in tests designed to detect PWM (in contrast to detecting PWM in normal use), I am concerned about the theoretical risk of detecting PWM in the XPG2 in normal use.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Keep this thread going :D I'm also gonna order one once they're sold in my country. I don't wanna risk buying one from abroad and have the post office services lose/break it : / Hopefully within a month.... :D