Problem with Pila GL3 Commendatore head o-ring

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious to see if the lens in my Pila GL3 is glass or plastic. I couldn't quite tell with it installed, so I decided to remove it to get a look at the thickness and side trim. I removed the locking ring, and then I pushed in on the glass. At first there was some resistance, but then it dislodged. What also dislodged was an o-ring. Apparently this is the o-ring that fits between the glass and the end of the head.

However, the o-ring diameter is smaller than the glass. Somehow it fits inside a shallow channel around the inner perimeter of the head opening. But it's so shallow, I can't hook the o-ring inside it. I tried finagling it a few different ways, but no dice. :banghead: Frustrating as all hell... never seen a head like this before. Here's a shot:

Pila_GL3_glass.jpg

So I'm stumped... I've run out of ideas. Anybody have a clue? Help! :sick2:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
That´s a bit tricky. Best way for me was to get the lens back into place, screw the retaining ring down again (not completely tight) and insert the o-ring from the front. The lens/retaining ring have to be just tight enough to be able to squeeze the o-ring in with a little helper (I used a toothpick). Hope that helps

Eric

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply Eric (I see you also replied in the other forum). Really weird how PILA designed this one. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out of the right sized O-rings and went this route as a make-shift alternative. I wonder if a larger O-ring would make more sense. But there may be something to the use of a stretched O-ring that provides a better seal? Who knows.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
** SOLVED! ** : Problem with Pila GL3 Commendatore head o-ring

Eric, that did the trick. I screwed down the retaining ring until there was enough of a gap to slide the O-ring partially in. I then tightened it a bit more and tucked the o-ring in further. Tightened once more, then the o-ring would stay held in place while allowing to be tucked in the rest of the way. Final tighten and it's back as it was. :thumbsup:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ** SOLVED! ** : Problem with Pila GL3 Commendatore head o-ring

I´m glad you got your light back together :thumbsup:

Eric