Tigerlight Questions????

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

I am still pretty new to the forum. I have slowly begun my journey into the world of flashaholics (curently own several Arc's and a Scorpion. I read the posting about self defense, and I was impressed with how well the gentlemen maintained himself in a scarry situation.

Now to the questions, It sounds like the tigerlight, may well be the best non-leathal self defense system out there. I would really like to know more about these lights. I have checked out their website, but it's so full of stuff, it was hard for me to winnow out the important things.

So what should I know. Any advice would be helpful. Thinking that I ought to have one in the house and in each car.

Thanks for your input.

Marshal Moroni

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the biggest thing to think about in advance is how to deal with so many rechargeable lights. If it were me, I would use the Tigerlights in the car only very rarely. Trying to remember to recharge them every couple of weeks (or minimally once per month) would be kind of a pain for me. Doing that for my one and only Tigerlight isn't so bad, but I personally would have trouble remember to keep all 3 charged up.

If you agree, I'd advise getting a Tigerlight for the house, and 3x123A lights for the car, for probably around the same money. Not as bright as the Tigerlight but way bright for most uses. The 3x123A lights will be almost worry-free for years as far as charge goes, so you place 'em and forget 'em. Keep the Tigerlight in the house, where you'll use it often I bet.

Or, if you don't mind keeping track of recharging three lights, then just go for that

Joe

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
IMO it's the best mid/high power light on the market for the money. It's not Surefire fit and finish and the beam is not as nice. It's pretty large, 11" long and slightly bigger around than a D-cell mag. I have dropped mine several times with no ill effects. Our security guard has been carrying one we gave him as a gift last Christmas and loves it. He used the pepper spray on a dog that attacked him and it worked as advertised.

Make sure you check your local laws in regard to legality of OC spray.

I have both the 8" and 11" and they are my favorite lights. They are very solid. They look and feel like they will last for many years. I don't have a Surefire M6 so my choices of favorites are limited.

Some of our sponsors sell them and offer great discounts from time to time. Check the Dealer forum.

Do a search in General Flashlights and you will find lots of info.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Marshal Moroni,

TigerLights rule the night!!!

As Dave mentioned, do a search and you will find a lot of information on them.

I use both of mine (I have two hands - why not have two TigerLights?) a lot. I end up charging them about once a month but they could go longer before charging - it depends on how much you use them. They have a little over an hour of run time.

They are tough, well made, the bulb lasts a long time, and you get a lot of flashlight for your money.

Great lights.

Tom

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The important things about a TigerLight, EXCLUDING pepper spray (I have the FBOP 8" version so I have no experience with the pepper spray):

The TL takes 10 hours to fully charge a depleted battery, or 10 times the number of minutes that you used it, in minutes. i.e. it would take an hour to recharge 6 minutes of use. This may be a concern for some people, because once it is depleted you can't slap in new batteries. Also, the battery can only be recharged IN THE LIGHT. You can't buy a spare battery and swap them out, charging the one while using the other. You could, of course buy TWO TigerLights and only one charging system. The TL without the charger setup is pretty reasonable in terms of cost, but certainly not negligible.

Also, the battery has no memory, and thus can be topped off anytime. It will take a number of charges to reach full potential, BTW.

The TL FBOP is shorter than a 2D mag, and slightly thicker.

The beam is what I consider to be a LONG THROW, but it also has a nice amount of spill light.

The Lamp Assembly is only $13 so that's a plus, especially when you're used to SF LAs! NOTE WELL: Do NOT try to clean the reflector with anything but compressed air, unless you are very brave and very careful. It scratches if you even THINK about wiping it with a cloth or q-tip. Don't ask me how I know this.

The beam IS NOT focusable. I find this to be a positive thing, but others would disagree.

The switch is a pushbutton switch, on the barrel of the light but towards the end. It can sometimes be hard to find when compared to a SureFire, but still is much better than, say, a maglite switch, because it is still towards the rear of the light to facilitate a tactical grip.

This is ONE RUGGED, well made light. The lamp is more or less shock isolated and the finish is type III HA and the internal contacts are gold plated. I love my TigerLight, and I do not have any complaints about the beam. It is rather heavy compared to a lithium light, and is not a light you can easily EDC, but it could be belt carried on a loop without too much trouble, especially if you already have a baton, CB, cell phone, handcuffs, etc. on your belt.

For the money, it is simply the best value out there. IMHO, anyway.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting pretty sold on the fact that I need to own at least one of these things. Not the least reason is that I've just learned first hand that the president of the company follows our threads here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He brings up some interesting points on the Tigerlight vs other lights when considering defense. The most simple of is that defense and non-lethal force is what Tigerlights are for. Best tool for the job and all that. He also reminds me that you only have 2 hands. If you are thinking of purchasing both some other light and a separate pepper spray canister, then thats both hands. You don't have the option of escalating to a threat with a more deadly weapon at that point because you don't have any hands left. It's the old "I drive an automatic car because you can't drive and shoot at the same time if you have to shift"

I think what to take away from this is that any light may be used for defense in a pinch. But if you are purchasing a light for defense you should seriously consider the one that is actually designed for this purpose.

I think I'm sold on ordering one to be carried in the car, but I do still have some concerns about the OC spray. Just how difficult is it to spray the stuff? I have a small child and I know that no matter how careful I am about keeping it away from her, if it's in the car at some point in her childhood she's going to get an opportunity to play with this. How likely are little 3 year old fingers to be able to discharge the thing. Can it be locked out in any way? I think I may have to devise some kind of mounting system for the car that keeps it locked away from little fingers. I don't think this is a light you can just throw under the seat if you have children. It wont be long before she can be trusted not to play with it, but 3 and 4 year olds don't have as good impulse control as older children do.