What to do with my old model flashlights?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Flashoholic or not up until this point anyway I have considered myself more of just a flashlight user then a collector, but that maybe changing. ;)

When I find a EDC that I really like I will often carry it for a year or so until I see a new model I want to try or until they come out with a new function or emitter for my current EDC model.

This was the case with the Inova X1. I had EDC several of the different Inova X1 models for years until what is still their current one with the duel outputs. As I got the newest models I sold the old models on ebay as they just ended up sitting around not being used.

Last Fall I come across the Fenix LD12 S2 and it ended up replacing my Inova X1 as my EDC flashlight. Even though the Inova X1 has justwbeen sitting around for the last 5-6 months collecting dust I just can't get my self to dump it on ebay or even simply give it away. I just can't seem to let it go.

Now just yesterday I replaced my Fenix LD12 S2 with the new Fenix LD12 G2. I'm a lot happier with the light output of the G2 and I'm sure the S2 version will now just start collecting dust too.

It's worked for awhile to tell myself that I will use my old flashlights as backups, but to tell you the truth I have never needed a back up flashlight. I always have my EDC flashlight in my pocket so it's always with me and I have never had a EDC flashlight fail on me.

I have been thinking of starting a flashlight collection, but even so do I really need more then one model of the same flashlight just because they have a different LED in them? Do I really need a Fenix LD12 G, LD12 S2, LD12 G2, etc... Seems that would be more of a LED collection then a flashlight collection, lol...

Have thought about maybe having the old flashlights modified, but then they would probably become my new favorite EDC and the current factory models would start collecting dust.

So I'm down to thinking I may just becoming a flashlight collector and the only thing I could get myself to do as a collector would be to trade models I have doubles of but with different LED's is to trade them for models I don't have.

Does that sound like rational thinking or I'm I just crazy, lol...

What are you doing with your old flashlights?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What has no use sell, gift, or find a use for. IE our glovebox lights may never get used, but I deem them useful as if I ever need them they are there.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put them on reserve duty. Leave it on your nightstand. Leave it hanging somewhere in the kitchen. Leave it in the car with some spare batteries.

And, when it gets to the point where you can't find them any purpose, give them away. I do this to my LE and EMT friends, and at this point have outfitted close to twenty cops this way, all of them having been upgraded from their outdated Mags and Streamlights. Tomorrow, I'll be handing off my retired TN11S to someone in the precinct so that it'll have a better home.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Put them on reserve duty. Leave it on your nightstand. Leave it hanging somewhere in the kitchen. Leave it in the car with some spare batteries.

And, when it gets to the point where you can't find them any purpose, give them away. I do this to my LE and EMT friends, and at this point have outfitted close to twenty cops this way, all of them having been upgraded from their outdated Mags and Streamlights. Tomorrow, I'll be handing off my retired TN11S to someone in the precinct so that it'll have a better home.

That's what I do...I leave them as spares/back-ups, distribute them during black outs, give them to those in need, etc.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I keep all of mine. For me they are a set of lights to compare new ones too. Back in the 90s I carried a mini maglite and it worked for me back then and that's back in the day when they only put out 5 or so lumens. I can ceiling bounce the old lights to give me an idea of the lumens per level of the new lights to see how accurate they are. You can compare tint, beam patterns, heat, and other things. When you have other lights you have a pool to compare and it helps you understand your needs and preferences. Just remember the old lights worked for you at one time. The only thing that changed was the technology. The older lights help you break your focus off just the technology and back onto the real issues of performance, form factor, and UI. Also quality!

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I have had 2x AA LED maglites in all the glove boxes as "Back-ups" for years.
Have never used any of them, lol...

Anytime I need a flashlight I simply reach into my pocket and pull out my EDC flashlight.

The LED's are so efficient that I have never even been stuck with a dead battery in a EDC flashlight. After you get to know your EDC flashlight you just know when it's time to replace the battery before it gets to the point of being useless.

I think with the advancement of flashlights over the years my backups have just become completely useless.

I have given some away in the past, but it never fails that the people I have given lights to in the past still ask me for a flashlight when they need one, lol..

I ask what happen to so and so flashlight that I gave you last year... Their reply is often something like, oh it's around some place or they come right out and tell me the lost it. It's not the end of the world, but these things do cost me some money.

Maybe I just need to find new friends. ;)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has now value to me either functional or emotional (like my first EDC or my first ever flashlight, I would never sell those ;)) I will sell or give those lights away. Every time I buy a light I buy it for a specific task to be used it for example as EDC, nightstand-light, camping-light etc. And I will never have two lights for one task. So either I invent my own reason for another light ;) or I'll sell the old light so I can get a new one.

rayman

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a light is bright enough to be useful, it's really not obsolete. It may be superseded, though. You could probably sell it on eBay or CraigsList and get a fair price for it (unlikely on WUS unless it would make a great host for modding). However, if I'm not going to get much for my old LED flashlight, I keep it as a stand-by... or gift it to a friend/relative. SOMEONE will find it useful enough. ;)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Gotta have backups for power outages; I don't normally light only one portion of my house in the evening, I might have the living area and the kitchen lit, for example. So one light ceiling bounced in the kitchen, another in the living room, maybe just let the EDC be the travel-to-the-bathroom light.

A note for those of you long-term storing lights in a drawer or glovebox - make sure they're powered by Energizer Lithiums, you don't want a burst alkaline surprise for that one moment years from now when you need the light..

Ishango

Enlightened
It depends on the light. I made a rule for myself that a light should be used at least once in a while or serves another purpose. Some older lights go on car duty (practically never used since I carry my EDC everywhere) where it serves a backup function. Some lights become EDC backup lights. I've sold a few older lights as well and have even given away (cheaper) older, but good working, lights away for charity. Some lights are however still in my EDC rotation occasionally or are designated as trustworthy travel lights (wouldn't hurt as much when it gets lost, but can still take a beating).

There are only a few lights I don't want to part with. One is my ~15yo Mini Maglite 2AA (upgraded to LED in the meantime). I don't use it any longer, but it was my EDC for a long time (before becoming a flashaholic) and was on my bed stand for many many years. It still works fine and thus deserves a spot in my collection. I also can't part with my Fenix E20 which together with my trusty E01 (still on active keychain duty) is my first introduction to LED lights.

Last edited:

MatthewSB

Enlightened
It will be a long time before I sell my SF E1B, EB1T, LX2, or PX2 Fury. There would have to be lights with at least twice the runtime on similar brightness. It seems like we're getting to a point of limited returns as far as practical light technology.

If I had an L1 or L4 or other obsolete light I'd probably sell it, the $50 or whatever I could get for it would be worth too much to keep it as a car glove box light or whatever. I have $7 Maglites for that.