Nitecore 14500 battery not working in lights???

Slashman

Newly Enlightened
Hi people,

I don't post often but have a question.

I just purchased a Nitecore intellicharger, a Nitecore 14500 and two Eagletac 18650.

I've charged them all correctly and whilst the 18650's work fine in my PD32UE the Nitecore 14500 doesn't work in either my Olight i2 or any of my 4Sevens MiNi AA's.

Please could someone explain to me:
1) why the 14500 isn't working in these lights - I would guess it's because the nipple is too small - but that's a guess please let me know what the issue is
2) please let me know what lights the Nitecore 14500 works with
3) please let me know if there is a different 14500 that wil work in the lights I mentioned above

Many thanks,
S

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have a Nitecore 14500 cell nor do I have the Fenix PD32UE, so I am unable to assist you in that respect. I can answer the "different 14500" question though: My AW IMR and ICR 14500 cells have a sufficiently protruding + button to function in any light I have tried them in over the last year or so. total of maybe a dozen 14500 cells. I do observe that the AW ICR 14500 cell (w/protection) is noticeably longer than the AW IMR 14500 cell (no protection). That difference may function to your advantage depending on the light or charger.

edit: I just realized that your request was for a Fenix PD32UE. The PD32UE accepts 18650 or 2x CR123 cells, not 14500, nor for that matter, 2x RCR123 cells. The 14500 should not be functional in that light.

on the Fenix webpage for the PD32UE light:
"Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries"

Last edited:

Slashman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.
For clarity I only mention the 18650 cells and the PD32UE to demonstrate the charger works.

The real question is : why does the Nitecore 14500 cell not work in either the Olight i2 or the 47's MiNi AA?

Thanks,
S

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.
For clarity I only mention the 18650 cells and the PD32UE to demonstrate the charger works.

The real question is : why does the Nitecore 14500 cell not work in either the Olight i2 or the 47's MiNi AA?

Thanks,
S

I have not had the opportunity to try out an OLight I2. I had a 4Sevens MiniAA a couple years ago, but do not remember much about it.

You do realize that although the 14500 is more or less AA sized, the terminal voltage from the 14500 is around 3.7 - 4.2v whereas a "normal" AA cell that these lights were designed for is rated for 1.5v, and would maybe accept the 1.7v from an Energizer Lithium cell.

In many cases, if a 14500 cell is inserted in to a standard AA light, either the light does not turn on at all, or you might see a brilliant blue light before the LED burns out if the driver circuitry did not go "pfffft" first....

FWIW, There are not that many light heads that have a wide-range input that will accept the output voltage from both the 14500 and the standard AA cell. for example, the Sunwayman V11R has that dual voltage capability. Some of the Quark lego-lights also have that capability. In those cases, the input voltage is often specified as such.

holylight

Enlightened
ajupegus.jpg

olight

de3e6yqe.jpg

4seven

Manufacturer reported specification to use aa without saying 14500 can be use! hope it helps ;D

your 14500 is not spoiled. don't worry

Last edited:

Slashman

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

Now I'm in the brilliant position of having to get a light to go with my battery

So, any suggestions - what AA sized light will work with the Nitecore (specifically) 14500?

Thanks,
S

Gundam168

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. I specifically joined the forums for this issue with 14500 batteries. I bought a generic brand (China) Cree flashlight powered by 14500 li-ion batteries. It came with a generic (China) 14500 li-ion battery. The flashlight works perfectly with the given 3.7V 14500 as well as with 1.2V rechargeable (Ni-Mh) batteries but giving weaker light for the lower voltage. I bought a branded 3.7V 14500 li-ion battery (Trust Fire) but I noticed, the light keeps malfunctioning with this battery. I'd use the blinker mode but it will only work for 10 minutes unlike before where it can go on for 30 minutes or until the batteries run out. In the case of the newer Trust Fire battery, it doesn't run out after 10 minutes, it just shuts off the light after 10 minutes. On the second day using this battery, it burned off the light totally rendering the flashlight useless.

A few weeks later, I bought another set of the same generic (China) Cree LED flashlight that came with it's own generic (China) 3.7V 14500 battery and it was working perfectly fine with the previous generic (China) 3.7V 14500 battery as well as with the 12.V Ni-Cad AA batteries. When I used the branded 3.7V TrustFire 14500 battery, it's starting to malfunction like the previous one did. I measured all three 3.7V 14500 batteries using a multitester and they all read the same at around 3.7V. Is there something wrong with this 14500 battery?

Pf7N0UX.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There could be a variety of reasons why some batteries work and some don't. Overall length, flat top cells vs those with a nipple. Some cells with a nipple may not work as well as others with a nipple, due to contact issues. I run into this problem ever so often and it is frustrating, and I have to spend alot of time working it out. Good luck.

Bill

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome: the fire cells are hit and miss,some are fine and will work ok,others junk at best.Although they are "branded" they are not a good brand,many copies of copies of..........So buying 2 cells the same size/mah rating imho is more towards the luck side then granted.Your best option is to stick with trusted brands(not trustfire) like KeepPower /efest etc just to name 2 brands from reputable sellers. Have a search on here,look under the battery section,a wealth of info:)

The same with the flashlights,you can buy 10 of the same light and they will be slightly different,be it from knurling to brand on side and build.Its a 50/50 gamble with cheaper lights,some good value lights out there,also not so.

I have 2 "skyray" lights,the output looks the same to my eye,both fine,good value lights but can clearly see differences in the build and size.

Just an example of 2 of the "same" lights,luckily both work as should,one i can lock out on tail cap,other i cant,tail caps are different style as is the body/head .

Have a read up on the ****fire cells,i presume you will have a ****fire charger also,these are not the best,can trickle charge after light turns green.Make sure its not left unattended or over night charging.As you have a MM its a good start to keep an eye on the cells/charger:thumbsup:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I can´t explain why the Nitecore 14500 battery does not fit in your mentioned lights.:thinking:

EleganceR10_zps31557e12.jpg

However it does from my own experience fits(and works perfectly) in my Sunwayman R10A.

The issue is discussed in this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?365721-Sunwayman-R10A-first-impression
Other users reports that the Nitecore 14500 battery does not fit in their lights either.

I´ve only tested the Nitecore 14500 battery in one light, and that´s the R10A, so i can´t verify if it´s working in other lights or not, but it think it sounds strange that it does not work in so many other lights.