MAG Charger with Welch-Allyn 01160 = 500+ Lumens!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
EDITED (again): With fuzzy math, the WA 01160 bulb does = ~500+ lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks to Ginseng, I received my WA bulbs today and the 01160 is one IMPRESSIVE bulb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here's a comparison with my poor stock Streamlight SL-20X which is already an impressive flashlight. But, it's no comparison to the might MAG with WA01160, just look at these pics:

wa-mag-01.jpg

Look at the arrows, the difference in brightness:
wa-mag-02.jpg

As soon as my McCulloch/Bohmen X995 HID flashlight gets here, I'll do handheld super light shoot-out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Outdoor shots? Garage door?
How much current does that thing suck? How short is the runtime?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MAG Charger with Welch-Allyn 01160 = 500+ Lume

Very nice! I'm glad they got there ok. I'm looking forward to some nice comparo pics. That's the SL-20X with the SL-35 LA?

Now you know how jazzed I feel when I light up a WA01185, which makes another 40% more light than the '1160 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
S4MadMan, what is the 01160's wattage rating. It's a 3.7A bulb, right? Can you compare it to a SL35X, which has a 20Watt rating and runs at 3.4A's in my light. What amperage is your new bulb pulling in your Mag?

Bill

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Wow. Outdoor shots? Garage door?
How much current does that thing suck? How short is the runtime?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still bright in SoCal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Also, I'm still at work. I'll get comparison shots tonight although I don't think there will be any comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 01160 is a 5V bulb and draws around 3.4A. Runtime from stock batts is around 35-40 mins. You get another 10 mins and more constant current throughout from Powerstream 1/2D's. The Magcharger + 01160 has been dubbed the best $3 upgrade/mod you can buy. Blows away the stock bulb, which is already very respectable.

As S4 pointed out in the arrow photo, the "Magcharger+" crushes the SL-20X. Beats the Tigerlight, too, in both spill and throw.

S4, I HOPE you have a UCL on that puppy!

Personally, I am waiting on Otokoyama's Magdaddy mod: I can't wait to see what a Carley 3" orange peel reflector will dish out! Boom, baby!

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Very nice! I'm glad they got there ok. I'm looking forward to some nice comparo pics. That's the SL-20X with the SL-35 LA?

Now you know how jazzed I feel when I light up a WA01185, which makes another 40% more light than the '1160 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Wilkey, that's just the SL-20X with the 20X lamp, *not* the 35X lamp.

Wait...the 01185 makes 40% more light and I didn't order any?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK, I just looked the WA application and:

01111: 465 Lumens
01160: 327 Lumens
01185: 817 Lumens!!!

Dang! What's the run time on the 01185?!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

15-20 minutes of solid brightness on 9x2Ah nimh AAs. 9.6V and 3.15A. You should take a look at the rerating formula for the '1165. Over 1,100 bLu driven at 10.3V and 3.3A. I push it past this point using 10xAA. Oh yeah, I've blown 'em but damn bright.

Maybe you didn't order any because the voltage is incompatible with the MC batt pack?

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,

One might guess is that your '1160 is making close to 500 bLu at that severe a level of overdrive so I think your original post title is warranted. Fact is, it's out of the range of the WA rerating formula which means that the true value can differ significantly from the calculated value of 619 bLu. PaulW has also generated empirical efficiency factors so that if the bulb were making 619 bLu, it might be throwing 60-65% of that out the front or 402 tLu. In any case, the light color should be higher resulting in whiter looking beam. The '1160 has a pretty high color of 3240K anyway.

If you look at jtivat's pictures in this MagCharger/WA01160 thread, you can surmise that your setup compares quite favorably to the SF M6 500 LA.

Wilkey

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
15-20 minutes of solid brightness on 9x2Ah nimh AAs. 9.6V and 3.15A. You should take a look at the rerating formula for the '1165. Over 1,100 bLu driven at 10.3V and 3.3A. I push it past this point using 10xAA. Oh yeah, I've blown 'em but damn bright.

Maybe you didn't order any because the voltage is incompatible with the MC batt pack?

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, you absolutely right about the 01185. I'm running 1/2D Powerstreams and only wanted MC compatible bulbs.

Where is the re-rating formula?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can rerate the bulb on the bulb's tech data page. You can also find the mathematical formula by searching for the bulletin: Miniature Halogen Lamps: Lamp Optical Characteristics.

Rerated life varies as the 12th power of the voltage ratios.
Rerated current varies as the 0.55th power.
Rerated candlepower varies as the 3.5th power.

This describes the reason for the drastic reduction in pushed bulb life and the strong relationship to input voltage.

Wilkey

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Was this accomplished with a stock MC by replacing the bulb only or was the power source changed as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, well, stock MAG Charger with 1/2D Powerstream batteries, at least that's what Ginseng recommended. I would assume the stock battery would work fine too, but not as much run time.

Wilkey, please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

I WAS using the Magcharger, 01160 W/A bulb and Powerstreams as a duty light.

Unfortunately, the W/A bulb produced too much heat for the Mag's bulb base, and melted it. Oooops...Therefore, I can't recommend this set-up where a constant-on or extended use is needed. It is REALLY bright, though!

On a side note, maybe this was because my Mag was a low-serial number? Maybe the base has been changed?

--dan

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Dano: I have a new MAG Charger and I have left it running continuous for 50 minutes until the Powerstream 1/2Ds died. The MAG got quite hot but nothing melted.

500+ Lumens for 50 minutes continuous is quite impressive in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

Oh man.. the more posts I read about these Welch Allyn bulbs, the more difficult it gets waiting for mine to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

S4MadMan,

What capacity are those Powerstream ½D's?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting. My Magcharger is at least 10 years old. Mag probably changed the material on the bulb base/switch assembly at some point.

Anyways, It melted a nice round divot between the two holes for the bulb's pins. Light still works, and the beam focus isn't effected.

--dan

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,

That's right. Seems to be the concensus out there. As for the melting, WA recommends that the bulb temperature be maintained around or at least 250C (482F) to activate the halogen cycle and maintain filament life. That is why many short on-off cycles is terribly bad for bulb life. The tungsten burns off and never gets a chance to be redeposited back on the filament, instead, condensing on the cold bulb capsule. This temperature also explains why even a tough thermoset plastic that they no doubt make the pin receiver from will a limited life at best especially from the drastically pushed WA01160. Just so ya know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sproing, those are 2.5Ah cells.

Wilkey

max52

Newly Enlightened

I am using a new Magcharger With the stock battery and the WA 0116.

The beam focus is not good, and the heat problem is obvious from the time it is turned on.

I ordered the Carley reflector. I hope it solves the focus problem as well as the heat problem.

Latest posts