Nitecore P25 - EDC for me...

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you regarding my recent findings, maybe somebody else will find it useful as well.
Well, I was looking around for the new EDC for me, as 250 lumens standard seems to be gone now and it's more likely to find lights around 1000 lumens OTF. My Fenix TK10 is a few years old now, so I thought "why not...?". Started from Jetbeam and then moved to Fenix. Reading this forum drifted from one topic to another and then finally found the P25. What a light, I must admit! Extra low level plus side switch plus tail stand plus USB charging mode plus 800 lumens OTF with a good throw :naughty: For me - perfect!
It is very dissapointing that many good light lack level modes. I was always a huge fan of Fenix and Jetbeam, but unfortunatelly they let me down. What is the point of doing the light with two modes only like 30 and 600 lumens? Or why quite good flashligh I considered did not tail stand? (like the Fenix PD32 UE). What the hell... Such a small thing and so annoing. Ok, whatever.
I was thinking about that USB interface. Maybe in the future we will be able to program our own flashlight modes?. That would be really great.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little lost on your post as to why you don't like the P25, its definitely not an edc light unless your a police officer or military.
i could see using it as a truck light, due to the USB charger. I have a P25 and love it, but I like the Ea4 more.

There are programable flashlights out there, I believe batterjunction sells one that's USB programable.

I love My hds120 for the ability to pick four modes and program them in. Quark tactical models can be programmed to remember two modes, through the UI as well.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Whoa...!? Where did I say that I did not like the P25? I said I loved it, matter of fact! You said it was not EDC light. Well, let's consider this. Very practical modes levels, good throw, reasonable size + extras like power indicator or USB... What makes you think it is not an EDC? Just asking, cause I'm about to buy that light and matter of fact that one was the best I was able to find. My demands as for EDC ligh were: at least four levels of output including extra low mode (smth between 1 and 10 lumens), the light had to be powered by two 123 batteries (no more or less then that), output lumens around 1000 +/-, good brand, good throw (I would rather have throw rather then wall of light and spill, even if it does not fit in commonly understanding term for EDC), tail stand ability. Seems like the P25 is the only one to win the competition according to my terms and demands. Fenix? - does not tail stand. Jetbeam? - not enough light modes. Eagletac? Not enough light modes again.
I appreciate your suggestion as to different lights, but I would rather stick to the choices I've made. Too many lights to chose from just give me a headache...
I am surprised anyway, that I have moved on from Fenixes and jetbeams more forward, as I really like to stick to one or two brands and i am usually faithfull to them, but it seems not at this time, as they have very limited choice.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading this forum drifted from one topic to another and then finally found the P25. What a light, I must admit! Extra low level plus side switch plus tail stand plus USB charging mode plus 800 lumens OTF with a good throw :naughty: For me - perfect!
It is very dissapointing that many good light lack level modes. I was always a huge fan of Fenix and Jetbeam, but unfortunatelly they let me down. What is the point of doing the light with two modes only like 30 and 600 lumens? Or why quite good flashligh I considered did not tail stand? (like the Fenix PD32 UE). What the hell... Such a small thing and so annoing. Ok, whatever.
I was thinking about that USB interface. Maybe in the future we will be able to program our own flashlight modes?. That would be really great.

I took this as a complaint about the light LOL sorry

It's a great size for holster carry, I myself Carhartt pocket carry and it's a little large for that. I love the P25, it would be a good light for work, I like the Ea4L2 better (for now)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
P25 edc for me ...

I take the three dots as sarcasm or luring some one in then changing your view ;) changed the whole spin on how I read your post

buds224

Enlightened
P25 is my new EDC as well via holster. The holster on mine was a very tight fit (it took extra effort to get the flap to fully enclose the light) but I found that swapping the XT11 and P25 holsters with each other was a perfect fit for both lights.

My Armytek Predator has awesome programmable capabilities. Up to 10 power levels on Line 1 and up to 5 modes on line 2. The moonlight mode is super ultra low and you can program blinky modes all the way down to choosing the frequency of the strobe, if you choose to include that mode.

I see your point though, a USB/PC programmable interface would be awesome.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Przemo - I totally agree! I completely read your post as being grateful for the development of the P25 - but was interesting to see that that was based on theory, rather than practice.

So I'd like to add the latter and confirm your conclusions - in that it is indeed one of the most-close-to-perfect lights for EDC. I always carry a small satchel/man-bag thing, and this essentially has an outside 'holster' - designed for a very small umbrella - but perfect for say a fat 18650 light. So this is the basis of my EDC - and that bag goes with me everywhere (wallet, keys, gum, etc).

The wider head made for a slightly awkward fit - but then makes it that much less likely to fall out.

My overall point being - it's the perfect EDC because it covers me for everything from turning up late at the cinema and finding your seat number/looking for something you've dropped in the cinema setting (very decent super-low mode of 2 Lumens) - to 'protection' in the event that you need a powerful torch on your person. Sometimes - a powerful torch can simply cause miscreants to assume that you must be law-enforcement or security - and scram.

It's a hell of a lot of bang in a very relatively small package.

Add to that easy charging set-up - and most importantly - the ability to tell what state of charge it's at at any time - you have the perfect EDC, IMO. The power-indicator is important for a light which may not get all that much use - but which you need to know will serve when needed.

It's also indeed a fantastic interface - I find myself toggling between both methods.

The only drawback I'd say is that you can't before turning it on, choose what mode it's going to turn on in - unless you leave it at that setting when you last had it on. So if you had it on Turbo - it'll be a bit of a pain'risk to use it in the cinema setting (although can of course cover it). It's something which the 'tighten-for-Turbo' lights allow for.

It's a fab light, and has rendered a good few others of mine redundant.

My journey has also gone via Fenix and then Jetbeam.

PayBack

Enlightened
It's a great ENC but way too big for an EDC. My EDC is an Olight S10 which goes in my fob (or coin) pocket. It goes with me day and night and I forget it's there, however EDCing my P25? Not likely... unless I'm going out at night, but then that to me isn't EDCing.

Ricks

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new to this forum and ultimately the Nitecore P25 is what brought me here. After going through many basic flashlights I figured I would step it up and get something worth my money, with the reviews that this forum provided and FastTech only charging $62.60 after the 5% discount there was no way I could pass up on this offer. I just ordered mine today and should hopefully have it by sometime next week.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
I take the three dots as sarcasm or luring some one in then changing your view ;) changed the whole spin on how I read your post

Cool ;-) Didn't realise it could be taken as a srcasm ;-) All clear now :)
Anyway, as for an EDC it could be considered a lil bit too big, but I think I'll live with that. I think it's not that bad. What's convincing me about that light it covers whole varieties of output (from moonlight up to almost a search light). Also that whole interface and look - just irresistible for me:cool:. Comparing that to my TK10 or RRT-0 it's like being back to the stone age. Ok, maybe a little bit exagerated, but that power levels indicators, USB interfaces, etc. it's a really big leap forward, imo. Just look at the display of the new Nitecore TM26, which even shows the temperature... Back in the years we were astonished that the flashlight powered by two 123s achieved 250 lumens and that was "wow" factor. So... it's time to move on! As for this particular model and brand I cannot really see a competing light that covers all that features that are present in P25.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Ok, my light has arrived. PayBack - you were partially right saying it's too big for an EDC. "Partially", cause this light still fits for EDC in my terms, however not entirely. It's great EDC for home use or picnic, where you do not have to worry about size of your equipment. You know - big backpack, bowie knife attached to the belt on one side, on the other side your P25 and on your legs big side pockets filled with whatever you managed to take from home. Also, in home - the size of the light doesn't bother me when I need to carry it around my yard, keep it in the pocket or attached to the belt. But this is home use and for this that light is perfect. The problem starts, when you wanna go out and carry your light with you. It's definitively too big. So that's why I consider this light an EDC and at the same time non EDC light. I'm still looking for the perfect EDC light for me (I will probably go for RRT-0 again, but the XML version this time) but definitively don't wanna get rid of the P25. It's really nice and versatile light and the throw is jaw-dropping as for the light of this size and lumens. It has also good throw / spill ratio. Just right, imo. The build quality is superb, the photo style button is very nice. I don't understand somebody's moaning about that, but De gustibus non disputandum est. The only thing which I miss personally and to which I got used to owing the RRT-0 is that you cannot do your flashing modes backwards. When you start from the moon mode (for instance) and then turn to 180 lumens to get back to moon mode again you need to go through 550 and 860 lumens. It's a bit annoying. But this is the only thing, in my opinion, which could be eventually considered in minus.