Questions to evaluate Flashlight needs?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I read through these posts/topic threads here I'm struck on how often we are asked for advice. Often after further questioning the requester, we refine or even discard our previous advice.

When asked by a family member, co-worker or neighbor how do you go about judging their needs and recommend a light?

Has anyone ever thought about developing a list of questions to assist in advising someone?

Throw? or Close in? (Of course the answer to this is ALWAYS throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Long runtime? or will an hour just long enought to find the lantern ok?
Mini-mad size? or is 4-D maglight size ok?
Batteries? and availability? When will you be able to buy more (long trip?)
Under $25, $50 or $150?

You get my drift here. What questions do you ask?

GregR

charliek

Enlightened
IMHO: Like asking PC needs questions, you have to ask them what they are going to do with it.... Start throwing flashaholic jargon out and you'll lose them. Best way is demonstrate a few lights that you think are good for the job they want to do, then ask how much they are willing to spend.
This is sort of like being a car salesman, just on a much smaller scale... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
You've got good questions there. I would add things like, what environment (do you need it to be waterproof or weatherproof)? And LED vs. Incan--in other words, are they willing to buy new bulbs for it and/or are they likely to drop it and blow the bulb (incan)?