expired OC spray

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
just a quick question..
how effective is expired OC spray?

i bought a few refil cans several years ago, but i still haven't had a chance to use the first one.

whta's the worst that can happen if i try to use an expired can of OC spray?

J_Oei

Enlightened
OC = Oleoresin Capsicum

essentially, high strength pepper spray.

As far as expiration, I think the strength is
reduced, not too sure of the "decay rate."

Look into some Fox Labs spray.
5.3Million Scoville Heat Units!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Impyboy,

I believe the container looses pressure after the expiration date. The pepper spray is still good, but the propellent leaks out a little. It's kind of like fire extinguishers.

Tom

Saaby

Flashaholic
I wouldn't use it simply for liability issues. I know this sounds lame, but some pretty lame lawsuits have come out in favor of the criminal. Using expired spray on a criminal could give them grounds for a lawsuit.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I volunteer, LOL!!! j/k

After two years, get a new one. Not worth having OC that doesn't work when needed. That extra $20 or spent on a new unit can just possibly save you're life one day....

I have some Fox 5.3 million SHU spray, this stuff kicks butt!!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.3 million? and i thought the 577,000 heat units red savina habanero i ate was hot! 577,000 was the highest number i'd seen until now. *lol* maybe i'm sheltered.

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
hey there,

thanks for all the replies.
I currently store the refils on the side or upside-down so if there is any chance of the propellant leaking, it would leak out the valve area along with the contents. i've checked the valves and they look clean. any chance of the gas leaking thru elsewhere?

the only thing about OC spray, is that it's illegal here, and can't get my hands on any more unless i go overseas, or to perth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

guess i can just give it a test fire to see how it goes.
sometimes the particles still linger in the air, enough to still choke you a bit.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif