Which one of these should I get?

Fortkevin2

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a light for EDC with a pocket clip running on a single 18650. Run time is important as is a rear clicky. I am currently carrying a 4Sevens Quark 123 so anything will be an upgrade. I know we can't post links so here is the run down at which lights I'm looking at.

1. EagleTac - EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L U2 1030-795/490/8 Lumens $80.67 + shipping from EagleTac Website

I don't really need 1000 Lums but it seems like a killer package for the money. For those who have them, with one 18650 is it an easy EDC light? Not a rear clicky

[h=1]2. EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky CREE XM-L U2 LED Flashlight - 741 Lumens[/h]http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341699-Eagletac-D25LC2-(XM-L-U2-1x18650-2x(R)CR123A)-Review
Looks like a great light and can be had for $61.90 from Amazon

3. Eagletac D25LC2 XML2U2 Led lumen: 850/557/69/7 updated version of the above but this is preorder only and I'd rather not wait. Is it worth it? mentioned below
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356287-1x18650-or-omnivore-compact-edc-light

What do you all think?

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the TX25 because you never know when you would need 1000 LED lumens. I think in the long run it would be better, if you get a light with more lumens than you need. Then later on you dont have to worry about buying another light because you want more lumens...well thats what happens to me lol.

Dr.444

Enlightened
EagleTac D25LC2 ,, very nice light !

you can watch review for it here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYemgfNoYo

:twothumbs

Fortkevin2

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac D25LC2 ,, very nice light !

you can watch review for it here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYemgfNoYo

:twothumbs

Thanks, That's what I'm leaning towards since it's quite a bit smaller looking than the T20. I may get the T20C2 MKII XM-L U2 to mount on my shotgun thought. Decisions decisions.....

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
Just buy it and move on to the next purchase. :thumbsup:

Thanks, That's what I'm leaning towards since it's quite a bit smaller looking than the T20. I may get the T20C2 MKII XM-L U2 to mount on my shotgun thought. Decisions decisions.....

JCD

Enlightened
First, we need to compare the ANSI lumens.

Option 1: 852-658/388/7
Option 2: 548-370/50/5
Option 3:
618/411/51/6

Max brightness:
The first thing I notice is that option 1 is only 55% brighter than option 2 on high. While that sounds like a lot, due to the way our eyes perceive light, it is a very small difference. (A forty percent increase in output is barely perceptible, according to Henry at HDS Systems.) You'll be hard pressed to find any tasks for which 548 lumens is not enough, but 852 lumens is sufficient. So I wouldn't let maximum brightness be a deciding factor. They are all similar enough to be essentially the same in use, though option 1 does have a very slight edge here.

Mode spacing:
Option 1: Level 2 is 5043% brighter than Level 1. Level 3 is 170%
brighter than level 2. Level 4 is 129% brighter than level 3.
Option 2: Level 2 is 1000%
brighter than level 1. Level 3 is 740% brighter than level 2. Level 4 is 148% brighter than level 3.
Option 3: Level 2 is 850% brighter than level 1. Level 3 is 806% brighter than level 2. Level 4 is 150% brighter than level 3.
Ideally, each increase in mode should be the same, percentage-wise, to make the mode steps appear equal to our eyes. The mode spacing for options 2 and 3 appear to be much better than option 1, and will appear more equally spaced in use. Option 1 will seem to have a low, almost high, high, and slightly brighter turbo. Options 2 and 3 will each appear to have a low, medium, medium high, and high. This favors options 2 and 3, with option 3 being very slightly better.

Tint:
The tint of option 1 is neutral white. The tint of option 2 is cool white, as far as I can tell. Option 3 looks like it will be available in cool white or neutral white. Most people, but not everyone, prefers neutral white to cool white.

I don't know what the beam profile is for any of the three, nor do I know your needs w/r/t beam profile. Normally, that should be an important consideration, but I'm ignoring it due to insufficient information.

Options 2 and 3 appear to be more pocketable than option 1.

If you prefer neutral white to cool white, I would recommend waiting for option 3 to become available. If you prefer cool white or have no preference, option 2 appears to be the best choice. The mode spacing of option 1 would rule it out for me as an EDC light.

SAVERIO

Newly Enlightened

JCD -

Thank you very much for your insight!!
I admit, I was one of the "I need the max-most-everything" types when I was researching which flashlight to buy (I'm new to this!).

Without knowing much, I first went and bought a Fenix E11 and thought it was cool for about 5 minutes.

Then I started really researching.

I actually chose the EagleTac D25LC2 becuase of it's EDC potential.
Of course, I bought the XM-L2 version (most lumens...). I was very happy with this light, but the more I messed around with it, the more I wanted a cleaner/throwier beam. So....I bought the same model but with the XP-G2.

I didn't really know what to expect. I honestly didn't have high hopes because it was "less lumens" on Turbo.

Once the XP-G2 version arrived, I knew it was my perfect EDC light (it fits well in my pocket, right next to my black Kershaw Cryo).
Even with less rated lumens, this light performs better for what I want/need. I almost got caught up in the Max Lumen stuff, but I think it's because there isn't any place local to me that sells quality flashlights like these for people to test out and see for themselves (internet reviews can only show so much).

I think the D25LC2 would be PERFECT if it had a momentary "on" function and less strobe......

JCD

Enlightened
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy your lights!

Anion

Newly Enlightened
I would think the TX25C2 might be a little big for edc, the d25lc2 clicky seems about as big of a edc that I would carry.
XP-G2 in a light the size of the d25 seems to be the sweet spot.

I think the D25LC2 would be PERFECT if it had a momentary "on" function and less strobe......

Yes to this!