What is your perfect length for a EDC flashlight?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
For me it's 4 inches. My EDC flashlight gets put in my left front pocket next to my wallet.

Not only does 4 inches seem to fit in my hand well, but it's also the same length as my folded up wallet, so they sit well together in my pocket.

Anything longer and I feel it to much in my pocket when I sit and bend. Anything shorter and It's harder to pick out of my pocket as easily especially if I'm sitting down.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I don't know why, but 4 inch also seems to stand up well in my pocket as I pull my wallet out. Shorter and longer flashlights tend to tip in my pocket and I find myself having to adjust there position to get my wallet back in place.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Depends. When I'm ending up using the thing around a lot then it's 5-6" -anything much shorter is unwieldy. But if I plan on not using it at all then the smallest possible that's still capable in an emergency, typically 2-3".

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends, less then 4 inches is nice inside the pocket ie AA or 123 lights. Anything else is clip outside the pocket or in a holster ie 18650's.

yliu

Enlightened
For me, the diameter is more important. I've carried both longer (2AAA) and shorter lights (CR123) and have found that I can tolerate anything between 3-6 inches, but it must use AAAs.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix LD12 is a no bother size clipped in front pants pocket, and Jetbeam RTT-01 about the same.
I thought my Olight i1 SS would be, well it is pocket wise carry, but just a tad small for for my hands. A little small and a little slippery caused me to drop it a couple times. But I'm still going to keep and use it.

tam17

Enlightened
Depends on situation/needs. Up to 125mm (dia. 25mm) for main EDC, or 80mm (dia. 16mm) for a backup light.

That corresponds to compact 1x18650 and compact 1xAA.

Cheers

merritt

Newly Enlightened
After reading this forum and deciding that my first modern light would be EDC, I settled on the Fenix LD12. It clips perfectly into my l/h pocket and I dont notice it at all. I have carried an EDC Benchmade knife in my r/h pocket for years with the same result, so I have to say 4" is perfect for me.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hi there : )

I don't need very strong lights, so I tend to choose them according to the season: if it's winter and I wear coats and have more pockets, may be sth like 11-15cm is bearable. For the summer, though, when I suffer severe lack of pockets, I minimize my EDC as much as possible and therefore I go to the shortest 1AAA lights possible : )

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. For me it's right about 3". 4" stabs me when I bend or sit down and 3" RCR123 lights feel just right in my hand and for work.

I hope all this talk of size is still referring to flashlights... :crackup:

If I had a 3" pecker I probably would want to stuff my pants with a 5-6" 18650 flashlight :laughing:

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
I depends. Twisties & front Clickies can't really be short enough, but when it comes to rear Clickies I prefer them not too much shorter than the palm of my hand. It gets hard to operate them otherwise. I don't have very large hands though, I'd say a minimum of about 3"/7,5cm should work for me.