Infinitely Variable ring with Clicky & single cr123

recDNA

Flashaholic
OK, I need a new edc. Is there currently a single cr123 flashlight with a forward clicky and infinitely variable magnetic control ring? I would prefer xpg2 if one exists but s2 or even xml u2 would be ok if no xpg2 available. It must have a forward clicky, magnetic control ring, and a decent pocket clip.

Any candidates?

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Infinitely Variable ring with Clicky?

OK, I need a new edc. Is there currently a single cr2 flashlight with a forward clicky and infinitely variable magnetic control ring? I would prefer xpg2 if one exists but s2 or even xml u2 would be ok if no xpg2 available. It must have a forward clicky, magnetic control ring, and a decent pocket clip.

Any candidates?

Does it have to be CR2? If you are willing to concede to an RCR123, then the Sunwayman V11R would fill the other requirements. To my impression there are not many manufacturers left of CR2 lights, much less with magnetic control rings.

archimedes

Flashaholic

OK, I need a new edc. Is there currently a single cr2 flashlight with a forward clicky and infinitely variable magnetic control ring? I would prefer xpg2 if one exists but s2 or even xml u2 would be ok if no xpg2 available. It must have a forward clicky, magnetic control ring, and a decent pocket clip.

Any candidates?

I'm not aware of any torches that would meet all your criteria ....

CR2 with infinite variable is a very limiting combo ... Peak Volcan (QTC, non-clicky) and original SureFire titanium Titan (non-clicky) are almost the only ones ?

Here's a summary thread that may be of interest -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...th-infinite-variable-brightness-control-rings

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

CR2? The whole point of a flashlight using CR2 battery is for diminutive size, so it would be counter-productive to add a tailswitch to it, which will add significant amount of length.

The only CR2 flashlight that has a tailswitch that I know of is the Coleman MAX CR2, and that's a 2xCR2 light.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Does it have to be CR2? If you are willing to concede to an RCR123, then the Sunwayman V11R would fill the other requirements. To my impression there are not many manufacturers left of CR2 lights, much less with magnetic control rings.

Im sorry (to all the posters who gave me good answers on cr2) I meant cr123 or rcr123 (bad day duh) Does the sunwayman have a forward clicky?

I'm really disalpointed the rrt-0 doesn't come with a clip and the 01 has no clicky. The eye 10 doesn't look like it has a clicky either.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Im sorry (to all the posters who gave me good answers on cr2) I meant cr123 or rcr123 (bad day duh) Does the sunwayman have a forward clicky?

I'm really disalpointed the rrt-0 doesn't come with a clip and the 01 has no clicky. The eye 10 doesn't look like it has a clicky either.

JETBeam RRT-0 fits your (revised) criteria ... and you can fit an (improved) NiteCore clip - :)

scsmith

Newly Enlightened

Sunwayman has a forward click on the V11R and some of their other single CR123 lights. However, their control rings are held in place purely by friction, and will loosen over time. I had to return one because it loosened up within the first two days of ownership. If I go back to an infinite magnetic control ring light it will be a JetBeam because they use a spring detent to help keep the ring where you put it. The JetBeam Raptor RRT-0 S2 would meet your requirements.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Missed the clip requirement. That's the easy part though: apparently as noted above you can modify a Nitecore clip (Sysmax is Nitecore and JetBeam's parent company), or make your own. You can get Ti or SS clip blanks and all sorts of fasteners for a few dollars from knife making supply places online.

herosemblem

Enlightened
RRT0 and
Sunwayman V11r.

I owned both. Both come with clips, CR123, magnetic control ring, and pushbutton.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the V11R! I ordered it on a suggestion in a CPF thread and WOW! It's dim, it's bright!, it's everything in between. I use it/carry it more than any other. An excellent choice for you!

aau007

Enlightened
+1 on rrt0. I remember they came with a loudsy clip but like others said, you can put the Nitecore clip on it. I like it over the SWM because it has more curves and the control ring is raised. SWM is too barrel shaped with flush control ring. Slightly harder to grip and turn.

If you can find the TCR2, that's a beauty too and comes standard with a nice clip (sans the max lumens of the rrt0-xml or the SWM xml).

burntoshine

Enlightened
I really like the V11R. The magnetic ring can sometimes be inconsistent with its resistance, but is 100% functional. Sometimes the resistance lessens, but always returns back to normal soon after; no biggie.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you can find the TCR2, that's a beauty too and comes standard with a nice clip (sans the max lumens of the rrt0-xml or the SWM xml).

If I could find my TCR2 I wouldn't have a problem! LOL

I don't like xml in little flashlights so I will just wait until something like an rrt-0 with a clip and xpg2 comes out. Sunwayman or niteye might come out with something eventually or maybe infilux. The magnetic adjustment ring works best for my needs but I like a really low low. I think the eye 10 has a low of 5 lumens which is way too high.

Last edited:

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
I have both the V11R and the RRT-0. As has been pointed out, both can run either RCR123 or AA batteries, both have clips, forward clicky buttons with momentary, and fully variable control rings. My preference is the V11R. The fit of the ring on mine feels like it was machined to within a few thousandths and the action is firm, precise, and "damped" for lack of a better word. The control ring on the RRT-0 feels slightly looser and somewhat plasticky.

Both are excellent lights with similar specs but the V11R just feels like a higher quality piece to me. If I hadn't found the V11R I'd be perfectly happy with the RRT-0 but as things are, the Sunwayman is my EDC and the Jetbeam stays at home mounted in a light stand on my worktable, where it does an great job.

cyclesport

Enlightened
None have mentioned the Nitecore Infilux with the XP-G R5...and it's still available on sale at a few places, (also avail with XM-L) and meet all your criteria. Probably the closest match to the OP's original request, and a very nicely constructed light w/McGizmo style clip.

I don't know your reason for needing/wanting a clicky and a Mag ring, but I have the V11R, Jetbeam RRT-01, and Niteye EYE 10, and much prefer the RRT-01 and EYE 10 with the only control being the ring (and I thought I wanted a clicky too)...parasitic drain is no worse than with a clicky (V11R), and a mag ring (only) gives you instant control over any level you want with no changing of handholds...no inadvertent full blast turbo, when you wanted moonlight...and no clicky to fail.

The only thing the clicky really buys you in this format is a tactical overhand grip, and if that's the case there are better choices for that application.

After approx a year of carry with the EYE 10 and RRT-01 these are by far still my favorite small EDC light UIs, and have been utterly reliable in hard use.

EDIT: The V11R is a nice light when new but I've had several of these Sunwayman V-series lights (V11R, V10R, and V10 Ti+) and can attest that after dropping them on hard surfaces a few times they all developed rattles at the reflector and switch and the anno was chipped badly (v11R/ no SS bezel)...the EYE-10 and RRT-01 still look and function as new.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The advantage of the clicky is I can preset the ring and turn the flashlight on and off many timea at just the perfect luminosity for the application.

cyclesport

Enlightened
The advantage of the clicky is I can preset the ring and turn the flashlight on and off many timea at just the perfect luminosity for the application.

I understand and the assumption makes sense in theory. Just my opinion and I'll play devil's advocate here for the sake of argument, but I find in actual practice when I choose to pre-select a given output by choosing a position on the V11R and actuate the clicky, I frequently miss the level I guessed at and wanted and get it too high or low (there are no markings and the limited ring travel only provides a rather coarse adjustment range) and I have to readjust the level anyway, thereby defeating the purpose and feature of level pre-select, and causing me to add complexity to the level selection process.

I'm really not attempting to steer you away from what you really want, but rather to highlight the flaw in this perceived pre-select ability that mag control ring/clicky lights and their users routinely tout. I have found in repeated practice, it just doesn't work as well as most think...by hey, reasonable people can disagree.

aau007

Enlightened
I understand and the assumption makes sense in theory. Just my opinion and I'll play devil's advocate here for the sake of argument, but I find in actual practice when I choose to pre-select a given output by choosing a position on the V11R and actuate the clicky, I frequently miss the level I guessed at and wanted and get it too high or low (there are no markings and the limited ring travel only provides a rather coarse adjustment range) and I have to readjust the level anyway, thereby defeating the purpose and feature of level pre-select, and causing me to add complexity to the level selection process.

I'm really not attempting to steer you away from what you really want, but rather to highlight the flaw in this perceived pre-select ability that mag control ring/clicky lights and their users routinely tout. I have found in repeated practice, it just doesn't work as well as most think...by hey, reasonable people can disagree.

Therefore, there is the Niteye10 that has 11 clicks in the ring travel and you can always count how many clicks you want to preset. Not my tea but is available. I like the preset before turn on also. I don't need the brightness to be exact, just like sort of low low, low, medium or max is good enough for me. Those those that needs exact brightness every time, like I said, Niteye 10.

Latest posts