low voltage warning?

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
I'm running a solarforce host with a well known name brand p60 drop in (not sure if appropriate to mention the name) and the light will drop into lowest setting and start to blink. I assumed that this was a low battery warning but the battery reads 3.8 on my meter. I'm still new and learning but I ordered this drop in from a well known maker, hence the reason for not naming the brand of the drop in. Is there something else I need to check? The tailcap reading is about 3.2 and the light doesn't seem to be running very hot. Ive tried different batteries but the light just seems to do this at random and Im at a loss as what to do. So before I contact the maker, is there something else I should check?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you want us to solve a puzzle yet you don't wanna tell us all the variables.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
you want us to solve a puzzle yet you don't wanna tell us all the variables.

I'm running 18650 batteries, with full charge. The tailcap voltage reads good, the pill is tight in the reflector, all connections and contacts seem tight and I have cleaned all contacts. What else should I check if anything?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
After how long?
Though, I'd contact the seller and work it out with them.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
After how long?
Though, I'd contact the seller and work it out with them.

The run time varies when this occurs. The last time was around 45 sec. The first time it happened I switched to a fresh battery and let the light run (on high) to see if it would happen again, which it did after about 2 min. As said before, the light was not running hot and ive used several different batteries that run my other lights with no problem. May just have to contact the seller. I was really hoping that I was just missing something or looking over a solution to this

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your batteries should come off the charger around 4.2v. At 3.8 a battery not under a load is not fully charged--or defective. If it's not a low battery warning, then I'd change the dropin. Malkoff makes some really great ones. Solar Force makes some less expensive, but good drop ins. Tailcap 3.2? Volts? You have a bad battery.

cerbie

Enlightened
Ive tried different batteries but the light just seems to do this at random and Im at a loss as what to do.
What state are those batteries in? Any of them charged (IE, 4.15-4.3V resting for most cells)? What's the peak current draw of the drop-in?

I'm not confident with any kind of guidance, when all we've been told is that an unnamed drop-in malfunctioned after being tested it with a dead battery.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
What state are those batteries in? Any of them charged (IE, 4.15-4.3V resting for most cells)? What's the peak current draw of the drop-in?

I'm not confident with any kind of guidance, when all we've been told is that an unnamed drop-in malfunctioned after being tested it with a dead battery.

The battery voltage is reading 4.1 and the drop in is an xml u3 2.8v-6v 3 mode. I originally thought the battery might be defective but it is not. What should the voltage read if I remove the tailcap and test the light itself?